What Power Level are you using?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

What Power Level are you using?

Postby Hoodman » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:12 pm

My group of gamers are wanting to start at a lower level than 10 in order to give them some growth into the heroes they will become. Is anyone else going below 10 to start their games, and if so what level? I would love to keep in contact with peopel are doing a lower level campaign.
Hoodman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Samurai007 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:54 pm

I am using PL10, but with only 100 points. Thus, characters could have a few powers at +10, or more powers at lower level, but they won't be able to max out everything like you can with 150 points. Each 10 PP will add a PL, though, so advancement will be a bit faster.
Samurai007
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Strand0 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:47 pm

Samurai007 wrote:I am using PL10, but with only 100 points. Thus, characters could have a few powers at +10, or more powers at lower level, but they won't be able to max out everything like you can with 150 points. Each 10 PP will add a PL, though, so advancement will be a bit faster.
:idea: OR you could just give the PCs 10 points the fisrts five games so they grow to one hundred and fifty point quickly.
You could even start new PCs that way in an on going game.
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

PL5=75pp

Postby Azmyth » Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:53 pm

I've started my new group/campaign at half the suggested PL in order to get a solid feel & understanding of the system without being overwhelmed by PC's that are very strong in the beginning. I've also decided to award double PP values per session, to reflect faster character growth often seen in new titles.

In a few levels I'll wheen them down to one at a time. :wink:
Azmyth
Bystander
Bystander

Postby E. Deirdre Brooks » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:10 pm

PL 15/225 PP.

The reason is that this is the playtest game, and I wanted to playtest two different power levels (10 and 15) and they still want to play. :)
E. Deirdre Brooks
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Slobberknocker » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:10 am

I'm starting my game at PL 8 (130pts). This gives the players a good starting char with alot of growth potential.
Slobberknocker
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Voneth » Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:43 am

I guess I am the lowest level campagin here.

I am doing PL 5 for a Farscape game. I also have an extra limit that Super Abilities can only be bought up to +2, on the other hand, "mundane" items like military plasma pistols and such don't cost PP to own or use. If you find it, you can use it.

Otherwise I am pretty flexible with allowing concepts. Ironicly, those in my game who've ignored Farscape canon have come up with less originial concepts than those that do.
Voneth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: What Power Level are you using?

Postby mshaslam » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:07 pm

Hoodman wrote:My group of gamers are wanting to start at a lower level than 10 in order to give them some growth into the heroes they will become. Is anyone else going below 10 to start their games, and if so what level? I would love to keep in contact with peopel are doing a lower level campaign.

Our group is trying something a little experimental. Before we start the real campaign at PL10, we are going to have a series of mini-adventures that start in 1929 at 5th level, with new adventures every 15-20 years or so. We will be using characters created for each specific era with gradually increasing power levels. The characters will be more or less archtypes for their era, starting with pulp heros, then golden age heros, silver age heros, up to the current time. Each mini-adventuer will have some effect on future events. I.e. if the golden age heros fail to stop Hitler's plans then he may very well be in power up to the current day.

I like this idea for a couple of reasons. One is it will allow us to get used to the rules and experiment with different character types but still have our actions mean something. Another is it wil both introduce the world to the players and shape it as well.
mshaslam
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

PL6

Postby gobbo » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:30 pm

I have decided to go PL 6, as I am running a Teen supers game. I look forward to when they all reach the level of pl 10 [I just hope I can keep them below that until they graduate from high school!

:green:
"Dice, grant us your friendship; have pity on us. Do not bewitch us with the force of your terrible sorcery. Lay to rest your anger, your hatred. Let someone else fall into the trap of the dice." -- Gamer's Lament
gobbo
Cohort
Cohort

Re: PL6

Postby Nightshade » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:05 pm

gobbo wrote:I have decided to go PL 6, as I am running a Teen supers game. I look forward to when they all reach the level of pl 10 [I just hope I can keep them below that until they graduate from high school!

:green:

Given the 1-2 points assumed per session, if you string the events out so that they aren't averaging a session more than every 2-3 weeks gametime, that should be doable. If it doesn't, just look at it this way; teen heroes get a lot more early experience in using their powers and the like; by the time he was an adult Nightwing had already seen more action than most heroes who have their own books do. :)
It works both ways; if you spend enough time looking into the light, the light looks back.
Nightshade
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Toxic Zombie » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:04 am

I am starting off at PL5 myself. I wanted my hero's to get the feeling of their powers as new to them,and not fully developed yet,which leads to a lot of character shaping during our gaming sessions.Another reason starting at a lower level is due to the fact i didn't want to bog myself down with all these totally super powered dudes until i got a real good feel for the rules.I am beeing a lil' more generous with their PP as well,at least for the first few levels,then at tenth level or so,ill cut down a bit on them.My main hero's of the town,and most of the bad guys are about 10th level or above though. :green: p.s.....what pl would you make the power puff girls....anyone who wants to answer back can wait until they are done laughing if they wish.
"With great power comes great....aww,screw that. Kik his a$$!! "
Toxic Zombie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Taliesin Reborn » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:30 pm

I'm using PL10/150PP in an Ultimate-style DC campaign. The characters are obviously not as powerful as the canon Superman and Batman--they're kind of Year One level, but I anticipate them inproving quite quickly in this system.
Taliesin Reborn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Stormraven » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:25 pm

Not running right now, but I've just started working on a character for a game that's PL 8.
I am Eddie of Borg. Would you like me to calculate the improbability of resistance?
Stormraven
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Joniphonic » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:54 pm

Starting our campaign at PL12. We are translating characters from another game system who have gone about "two" levels above the standard start- so we wanted to represent that in the new system- and it seems most effective (so far).
Joniphonic
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Squire » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:52 am

Taliesin Reborn wrote:I'm using PL10/150PP in an Ultimate-style DC campaign. The characters are obviously not as powerful as the canon Superman and Batman--they're kind of Year One level, but I anticipate them inproving quite quickly in this system.

OK, abit off-topic, and I do apologize, but...

...what exactly IS Ultimate-style? I know it refers to a particular line of Marvel comics, but what sets it apart?
Squire
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Taliesin Reborn » Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:33 am

Squire wrote:
Taliesin Reborn wrote:I'm using PL10/150PP in an Ultimate-style DC campaign. The characters are obviously not as powerful as the canon Superman and Batman--they're kind of Year One level, but I anticipate them inproving quite quickly in this system.

OK, abit off-topic, and I do apologize, but...

...what exactly IS Ultimate-style? I know it refers to a particular line of Marvel comics, but what sets it apart?

My interpretation is that the Ultimate line is really just a reboot in an alternate universe/timeline. The general idea is to take the characters and re-tell their stories in a more modern context (as opposed to the 40s or 60s, when they were created) without changing the core concepts of the characters.

Thus, Superman is still a character derived from a science fiction origin and is a Kryptonian rocketed to Earth from his dying planet. However, the player and I (as the GM) talked over what would have happened if this had happened in a more modern era. We decided that there was no way the government didn't find the shuttle, take the infant Kryptonian, and proceed to conduct tests on him for the next 25 years...ironically deep underground where he isn't exposed to yellow sunlight.

Obviously, the Ultimate treatment can vary between people and interpretations, but the general idea is the same.

That's just an example. A lot of the players wanted to play their favorite characters but we didn't want to be constrained by continuity. I also wanted to start them off at a relatively low level (default PL 10), so getting the characters near the start of their careers was a plus. The Ultimate Superman right now isn't nearly as powerful as the canon Superman...his powers may even be somewhat different (they're not too different, if I recall the write-up we did--he just doesn't have reporter skills, etc.).
Taliesin Reborn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby EarthsShadow » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:46 am

We are going to start at PL 4 or 5 to represent the theory that it is just about the seperation between maximum normal human potential and the evolution of a person becoming beyond just human in potential (if that makes any sense). Most of the enemies they face will be of equal PL and possibly up to PL + 3, but this way I will get to see how characters advance when they gain levels and how they adapt to learning about their super powers.

I am sure doing it this way will provide many different kinds of characters when they get to PL 10 than if they made just PL 10 characters from the beginning. I am thinking that they will probably have more skills and feats and probably less emphasis on powers until they reach it, but only time will tell.
I have always wanted to know what is the true purpose of a Gnome?????
EarthsShadow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squire » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:20 pm

Taliesin Reborn wrote:
That's just an example. A lot of the players wanted to play their favorite characters but we didn't want to be constrained by continuity. I also wanted to start them off at a relatively low level (default PL 10), so getting the characters near the start of their careers was a plus. The Ultimate Superman right now isn't nearly as powerful as the canon Superman...his powers may even be somewhat different (they're not too different, if I recall the write-up we did--he just doesn't have reporter skills, etc.).

Thanks, TR! Sounds like a great "What If" experiment... which means I'm now reconsidering my whole campaign idea. Damn!
Squire
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:16 pm

Taliesin Reborn wrote:Thus, Superman is still a character derived from a science fiction origin and is a Kryptonian rocketed to Earth from his dying planet. However, the player and I (as the GM) talked over what would have happened if this had happened in a more modern era. We decided that there was no way the government didn't find the shuttle, take the infant Kryptonian, and proceed to conduct tests on him for the next 25 years...ironically deep underground where he isn't exposed to yellow sunlight.

I'm not sure if I would mess with Superman's wholesome upbringing, even in an Ultimates campaign. You could have had him taken by the government, then placed in foster care (later adopted) but closely monitored, and periodically tested.

I'm don't entirely hold with the traditional comic book thesis of "government is evil and will always do the most corrupt thing in any situation", though I'm have no idea if Ultimates maintains that tack.
Who watches the watchmen?
Mysterious Stranger
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Strand0 » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:59 pm

Mysterious Stranger wrote:I'm don't entirely hold with the traditional comic book thesis of "government is evil and will always do the most corrupt thing in any situation", though I'm have no idea if Ultimates maintains that tack.
Nick Fury, is the Ultimates leasion. So, tough but fair.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Taliesin Reborn » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:46 am

Well, I gave the player only a couple limitations when designing the background on Superman: 1) he's still from Krypton, 2) he still derives his powers from the yellow sun, and 3) he must be a good guy and the front man for the JLA.

I don't interpret the background as condemning the government as evil. We only see it that way because we know that Superman is the most noble and just hero there is (Cap gives him a run, though). It's merely a matter of national security to lock up and study an alien...rumors in the real world have the government doing just that.

Also, in The Ultimates (or Ultimate Avengers, to avoid confusion with the Ultimate comic line itself), Captain America is actually a pretty mean SOB, kind of in the Stone Cold Steve Austin vein. He still stands for justice and all, but there's an edge to him that's not present in the default continuity. I mean, everyone on the Ultimates is screwed up somehow...the Wasp lays actual eggs, is an adultress, and is abused by Hank Pym; Giant-Man has massive inferiority complex and beats up his wife (sprayed her with bug spray while she was Wasp-sized and then sic'ed a bunch of ants on her!); the Hulk, or Banner, gets a high from becoming Hulk and wants to kill Freddie Prinze Jr.--oh wait, that's normal, who doesn't?; Thor is a new age guru person who has delusions of grandeur that might actually be true, etc. etc.

Our campaign, for instance, has a Batman who was raised by R'as Al Ghul, a Wonder Woman who's into bondage (why else does she have that lasso and high leather boots?), a Green Lantern who found his ring in a pawn shop, a lazy bum of a physics student as Flash, and a Captain Marvel who needs to get his fix by saying "Shazam!" and going on the ultimate power trip.

Too screwed up and over-the-top? Just a little. But the Ultimate line is exactly what those characters may have ended up if they were conceived now, rather than in that oh-so-innocent age of years past.
Taliesin Reborn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:05 am

Taliesin Reborn wrote:I don't interpret the background as condemning the government as evil.

I'd still like to see the government sometimes doing things admirable or at least well justified, rather than the old "national security" trope. Part of the reason I like Alias is because, for once, the CIA aren't the villains in a spy thriller. :)

I think he could have been controlled and observed by the government without being poked and prodded for 25 years. Once they realized he was mentally very similar to humanity, they would probably want him to be psychologically stable, and give him as normal an education as possible.

"As possible" is relative, of course, so your living underground scenario is pretty likely, but he would probably also have actual caregivers. Maybe Martha Kent was a psychologist employed by the government, and more or less raised him? The clearer his 'humanity' became, the more objections there would be to treating him like a lab rat.

Taliesin Reborn wrote:I mean, everyone on the Ultimates is screwed up somehow...

That's a good point. It would take some pretty screwed up individuals to put on costumes and fight crime.

Watchmen, of course, was a landmark in realistic psychological study of the superhero. In many ways, Doctor Manhatten was a natural extension of godlike power, and probably not unlike what Superman would be like in the real world. Of course their powers were completely different, but the scale is so similar.

"Do you prefer red ants or black ants?"
Who watches the watchmen?
Mysterious Stranger
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Strand0 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:25 pm

Hey! Mysterious Stranger or Taliesin Reborn start a new Topic. This is interesting but dosn't belong here.
Please?
Last edited by Strand0 on Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Taliesin Reborn » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:08 am

Sorry, Strand...this just seemed like the place to reply. If anyone wants to discuss Ultimates or whatever...give me a shout out on a new topic or something.
Taliesin Reborn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives