New Drawbacks

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

New Drawbacks

Postby Pytorb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 pm

I thought I'd start a thread specifically for new Drawbacks. Here's a few of mine that has come out of conversations with players that I've not mentioned before:


Debt

(This updated version of the published Drawback can not be taken by anyone in the Night Watch)
You or your House are deeply, scandalously, publicly in debt to moneylenders or another House. Your starting wealth is halved. You take -1D to all Status tests and you can not earn Glory for your House as it is known that they have sold every scrap of their honour for Gold and know no fealty to anyone but the moneylender who owns them.

Fervent
Requires: Dedication 1B
Your devotion is unsettling to others. Your dedication to a faith, cause, individual, ideal, etc. and the way you constantly talk about it, even with people you have barely met is unsettling. Everyone's starting disposition towards you is worsened by one degree. Under specific circumstances as decided by the GM this may change to worsened by two degrees or more (they are particularly opposed to your dedication) or improved by one degree (they are as dedicated as you to the same factor).

Paranoia
The character is convinced that someone is out to get them. Whether this is true or not it influences their behaviour every day, from always sitting with their back to a wall away from a window where they can see the door to never accepting food or drink they do not know where it has come from, travelling incognito, etc. Unless they make a FORMIDIBLE (12) Will test the character's unease transmits itself to anyone they engage in Intrigue with. This makes their opponent's disposition one level worse than normal and imposes a -1D on all the character's Deception tests.

Jaded
The character has lost all but a thread of their passion for, and loyalty for, causes. This is different from but related to cynicism (where you see the worst in any cause, even one you fervently follow). Your starting disposition towards any intrigue attempt to sway you to to a new course of action is Unfriendly. If this new course of action is obviously dangerous your starting disposition is Malicious. You take a -1D Persuasion and -1D Will - Dedication penalty.
Last edited by Pytorb on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: New Flaws

Postby Pytorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Here's another flaw I've written for a player:

Ruthless
Your ruthlessness is disconcerting for others, but at the same time means you are more likely to gain victory on the field of battle, as you ignore the deaths of those you lead. You have a -1D to all Awareness (Empathy) tests and reroll 6's in Persuasion (Charm) and Persuasion (Seduce) tests and take the second result, even if it is worse. At the same time you may reroll 1's on Warfare (Strategy) tests and take the second result.
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Pytorb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

And another possible one.

We are playing just after the Blackfyre Rebellion and the players are currently in the Free Cities. A new character joining the house has the Outcast drawback. In one sense that is totally appropriate for the character as they fled to Tyrosh after being on the losing side of the Blackfyre Rebellion. But the penalty of -2D to status tests doesn't feel appropriate. So I was therefore thinking of writing a new drawback called 'The Losing Side'. It is obviously most applicable during periods like the Blackfyre Rebellion, the overthrow of the Targaryens, the Dance of Dragons, etc. but could probably be applied at a more local level at any time when two houses go to war or even one house tears itself apart.

The Losing Side

You were on the losing side in a civil war, either across the whole of Westeros, or more local covering only your House's lands and those around you. Unfortunately your side lost and the actions on both sides have not been forgiven or forgotten by all involved. When you are in an intrigue with someone from the winning side shift the starting disposition of both characters to Unfriendly or even Malicious (if the two characters have actually met on the battlefield, the one was given the other's lands as a reward for helping the winning side, etc.). Also, if you have been forced to flee your lands, you gain none of the status bonuses from the Qualities Heir or Head of House unless they were being applied only to other people of the losing side (such as the followers of Blackfyre living in exile in Tyrosh).
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Dracain » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 am

This thread isn't too old, so I thought I would add this little modification that made sense to me

Massive
You can wield two-handed weapons in one hand, and you may ignore the Unwieldy quality (if any). Two handed weapons wielded by a massive character with two hands gain +1 to damage, as if a weapon with the adaptable quality.

Not sure if this would apply to polearms. I don't think so, because the weapon REALLY isn't meant to be used one handed, and it isn't just a large adaption of another weapon. What do you all think?
Dracain
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Pytorb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:52 am

Dracain wrote:This thread isn't too old, so I thought I would add this little modification that made sense to me

Massive
You can wield two-handed weapons in one hand, and you may ignore the Unwieldy quality (if any). Two handed weapons wielded by a massive character with two hands gain +1 to damage, as if a weapon with the adaptable quality.

Not sure if this would apply to polearms. I don't think so, because the weapon REALLY isn't meant to be used one handed, and it isn't just a large adaption of another weapon. What do you all think?


Personally I wouldn't give them any benefit to using a normal two handed weapon with both hands. I would though allow the character to visit a master smith and have a super-sized two handed sword, axe or maul built that gives extra damage because it is that long and heavy. I agree though that some of the two handed weapons, like pole arms, can only rally be used with two hands regardless of whether the character has Massive or not.

Whilst we are on Massive I would personally add a couple of tweaks to the Benefit. Firstly the character has to eat enough for two and suffers any penalty for hunger and thirst more swiftly that characters without the Benefit (which could be key in a siege). Secondly the character would take a -1D penalty, to Fighting, Agility, Awareness, etc. for being enclosed (poor terrain) a lot more frequently than other characters. A lot of medieval buildings have ceilings and doorways much shorter than modern buildings, as the average height in medieval times was much shorter due to malnutrition. Therefore someone with the Massive Benefit is going to be incredibly hunched over in all but the largest rooms. Fortunately this would be less of an issue in castles as most of them had larger rooms as there were men with spears and longbows constantly walking around in them...
User avatar
Pytorb
Booster
Booster
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:27 am
Location: London, UK

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Dracain » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 am

Pytorb wrote:
Dracain wrote:This thread isn't too old, so I thought I would add this little modification that made sense to me

Massive
You can wield two-handed weapons in one hand, and you may ignore the Unwieldy quality (if any). Two handed weapons wielded by a massive character with two hands gain +1 to damage, as if a weapon with the adaptable quality.

Not sure if this would apply to polearms. I don't think so, because the weapon REALLY isn't meant to be used one handed, and it isn't just a large adaption of another weapon. What do you all think?


Personally I wouldn't give them any benefit to using a normal two handed weapon with both hands. I would though allow the character to visit a master smith and have a super-sized two handed sword, axe or maul built that gives extra damage because it is that long and heavy. I agree though that some of the two handed weapons, like pole arms, can only rally be used with two hands regardless of whether the character has Massive or not.

Whilst we are on Massive I would personally add a couple of tweaks to the Benefit. Firstly the character has to eat enough for two and suffers any penalty for hunger and thirst more swiftly that characters without the Benefit (which could be key in a siege). Secondly the character would take a -1D penalty, to Fighting, Agility, Awareness, etc. for being enclosed (poor terrain) a lot more frequently than other characters. A lot of medieval buildings have ceilings and doorways much shorter than modern buildings, as the average height in medieval times was much shorter due to malnutrition. Therefore someone with the Massive Benefit is going to be incredibly hunched over in all but the largest rooms. Fortunately this would be less of an issue in castles as most of them had larger rooms as there were men with spears and longbows constantly walking around in them...

That is intriguing. I also find the idea of a super sized sword both hilarious and awesome, though still a little ridiculous. If someone trained as a two-handed fighter, but is big enough to wield two handed weapons with one hand, wouldn't it make sense to allow there to be some bonus to two-handed fighting? There is no point make a two-handed combatant because someone with massive could do all the same things with a shield. So wouldn't it make sense that there is a difference between a massive person wielding a sword one handed or two?
Dracain
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Panacea » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Here's one I made for one of my players:

Haughty Fighter: You lose all bonus dice during the entire first round of combat. They may not used in any test. They may not be sacrificed to any ability. They still count toward weapons that require training, and toward passive tests.

Effectively, he fights with one hand tied behind his back for the first round of every combat. It's worked pretty well for us; both as player and as GM it's felt pretty balanced.
Panacea
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 am

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Dracain » Tue May 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Panacea wrote:Here's one I made for one of my players:

Haughty Fighter: You lose all bonus dice during the entire first round of combat. They may not used in any test. They may not be sacrificed to any ability. They still count toward weapons that require training, and toward passive tests.

Effectively, he fights with one hand tied behind his back for the first round of every combat. It's worked pretty well for us; both as player and as GM it's felt pretty balanced.

That's a really cool idea. I think I'll show this to my group of players.

Another adjustment to Massive could be to have there be a penalty of 1 to agility, or have the massive person's CD lowered by 1, or both. I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, but the more I look at this skill, the more it seems like a huge improvement that would be silly not to take. I've been re-reading the books again, and I noticed a character who is not massive using a greatsword with extreme speed and skill, even though it is so huge. I am trying to figure out just how to make a character that is not massive use a greatsword, and still be as effective. I kind of think of heritages as the pseudo "races" of this game, and the way I see it, the massive advantage is massively advantageous if you're going to play a character more combat focused. Can people help me come up with a way to represent the "slow but strong" character? Where they are slow and somewhat easier to hit and dodge, but a hit from them is like a freight truck. I think the damage aspect is already there, but what about the other side?

Again, sorry I keep bringing this up, but this skill is driving me crazy, and I think it just needs a bit of tweaking, because it is at this point, with or without the 1+ for two handed wielding, an advantage that mechanically is such a huge bonus as to be a no-brainer if you're primarily a combatant...at least from a purely mechanical standpoint.
Dracain
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Francis Morin » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Obedient
| Either you were raised that way or were bullied, you find easier to excute orders than argue.
- Decrease your Composure by -2.

Barren
| No matter on what you rely, you cannot engender. Require : Female Gender.
- You take a penality equal to your Status rank on all Status tests. Also, you must re-roll all 6s on Persuasion tests and take the second result, even if it's worse.
It might turn out that some relatives will seek for your eviction.

Past nobility
| Somewhere in the past, your ancestors loss their titles and lands by doing dreadful acts and people are cautious about you.
- You take - 1D on all Deception and Persuasion tests with people who remembered your family. But still, you have a surname.

Lazy
| You prefer the slightest effort than outperforming.
- You must re-roll all 6s on Athletics tests and take the second result, even if it's worse.

Overweight
| So big you are that you are slowed down by your weight.
- You're starting Movement it's 3 and not 4 as other characters. Moreover, when you sprint, you move up to three times your Movement instead of four.

Ugly
| So ugly you are that people judge you harder and don't listen to you easily.
- Any people worsens their disposition by one step. You suffer -1B on all Persuasion tests as well.

Hideous
| You're a monster. People judge you even harder and find you disturbing.
- Any people worsens their disposition by two step. You suffer - 1D on all Persuasion tests as well.

Friendly
| You thurst humanity and expect people to act kindly towards anyone else.
- You're starting disposition must be Friendly towards anybody you just met - even if you heard about dreadful acts commited by this one.
Francis Morin
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: New Drawbacks

Postby Francis Morin » Wed May 22, 2013 7:03 pm

English is not my first language. So, excuse me for any further mistakes you could notice during your reading. I also hope you will find those homemade drawbacks interesting.


Obedient
| Either you were raised that way or were bullied, you find easier to excute orders than argue.
- Decrease your Composure by -2.

Barren
| No matter on what you rely, you cannot engender. Require : Female Gender.
- You take a penality equal to your Status rank on all Status tests. Also, you must re-roll all 6s on Persuasion tests and take the second result, even if it's worse.
It might turn out that some relatives will seek for your eviction.

Past nobility
| Somewhere in the past, your ancestors loss their titles and lands by doing dreadful acts and people are cautious about you.
- You take - 1D on all Deception and Persuasion tests with people who remembered your family. But still, you have a surname.

Lazy
| You prefer the slightest effort than outperforming.
- You must re-roll all 6s on Athletics tests and take the second result, even if it's worse.

Overweight
| So big you are that you are slowed down by your weight.
- You're starting Movement it's 3 and not 4 as other characters. Moreover, when you sprint, you move up to three times your Movement instead of four.

Ugly
| So ugly you are that people judge you harder and don't listen to you easily.
- Any people worsens their disposition by one step. You suffer -1B on all Persuasion tests as well.

Hideous
| You're a monster. People judge you even harder and find you disturbing.
- Any people worsens their disposition by two step. You suffer - 1D on all Persuasion tests as well.

Friendly
| You thurst humanity and expect people to act kindly towards anyone else.
- You're starting disposition must be Friendly towards anybody you just met - even if you heard about dreadful acts commited by this one.
Francis Morin
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 6:02 pm


Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests