SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re:

Postby bjmyers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Bastoche wrote:The septon must only pass a 9 difficulty test with 5D+1B. Very easy for him. Enough easy to have actually 3 or 4 success level. So, according to the rule he can add level * Will (+15 or +20!!! So the Wall is not so hard to climb even for a character with 1 everywhere assisted by a character with 1 everywhere).

Then every test is very very easy to pass for any team when this septon is on the place.

On table 2-1 there is a minimum rank for success of 4 for a Heroic (21+) action. Does this apply here? Are they just saying that the highes you can roll is 12 with 2 ranks or is this a rule?
bjmyers
Bystander
Bystander

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Ajes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 am

Bowerpower wrote:One other question..The stats for Langley Woods appear to be missing from the Peril at King's Landing book. Are they printed anywhere?

No, I dont think he's statted (don't have the book in front of me though). Its not so important though, you can just use some generic stats for him, such as the templates in the back of the book
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Facing and Movement in Warfare

Postby Ajes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:06 am

bjmyers wrote:I am having some trouble with facing and movement in Warfare.

1) Do you have to move forward or can you move any direction?
-I'm assuming you do.

2) Can you still turn while moving using facing rules?
-If you can not are there any differences between move and sprint other than how far you travel?
-If you can, how much? Maybe a quarter turn per 10 yards traveled?Do you test "wheel" every time you turn while moving?

3) Should you get a free quarter turn or something every round?

As you can tell I'm a little confused.

While I havent used warfare with facing yet, I'm assuming that movement and facing are seperate. Facing is always in the last direction the unit was moving, and to change facing on the spot, you must use a wheel command.

Sprint, however, must always be in the direction you are facing.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Re:

Postby Ajes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 am

bjmyers wrote:
Bastoche wrote:The septon must only pass a 9 difficulty test with 5D+1B. Very easy for him. Enough easy to have actually 3 or 4 success level. So, according to the rule he can add level * Will (+15 or +20!!! So the Wall is not so hard to climb even for a character with 1 everywhere assisted by a character with 1 everywhere).

Then every test is very very easy to pass for any team when this septon is on the place.

On table 2-1 there is a minimum rank for success of 4 for a Heroic (21+) action. Does this apply here? Are they just saying that the highes you can roll is 12 with 2 ranks or is this a rule?

They are just saying that in order to beat 21, you must have rank 4, ie. you must roll at least 4 dice :) So its not a rule, just a statement.
Ajes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bowerpower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Hate to ask so much so soon but this is an important one that I can't find forum searching...

When you take a flaw(say to athletics), I know it gives you -1D to tests,and that it reduces your combat defense by 1 as well, BUT does it affect the damage of an athletics based weapon?
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Bowerpower wrote:Hate to ask so much so soon but this is an important one that I can't find forum searching...

When you take a flaw(say to athletics), I know it gives you -1D to tests,and that it reduces your combat defense by 1 as well, BUT does it affect the damage of an athletics based weapon?

Yes, it would also reduce the damage you deal for any Athletics based weapon.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Bowerpower » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Cool, thanks. I noticed though in the campaign guide that NC's that have the flaw do not appear to have a lessened damage. I looked that up while waiting for a response here, and assumed from those entries that it didn't.

Any idea why the NC's don't seem to be written that way?

For Example Barristan Selmy has 5 Athletics and an athletics flaw. However his damage with a large shield(which is athletics-2) is given as 3. If the flaw was meant to apply to damage it should say dmg 2. So either they screwed up in the campaign book, or you don't reduce damage.
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Remember, my take is not official :D But here it is:

Flaws say that they reduce all Derived Characteristics by 1. Step Eight in the Character Creation section lists the Derived Characteristics which include Damage.

So, I take the Campaign Guide to be mistaken.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Bowerpower » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm

I concur with your verdict. Seems the 2 books disagree, so I will side with the way the rule book reads, as well as the fact that it makes sense. Thank you for pointing out that damage is listed as a derived stat. IMO that settles it regardless of how they wrote up the NCS.
Bowerpower
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Reinard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:35 pm

The methods of forging valyrian steel is listed as Heroic (21+) difficulty. That is actually quite easy for maester with the proper knowledge focus (I'm guessing alchemy, which is rare for maester, but not impossible). Does this mean he actually CAN craft valyrian steel or only that he has some vague idea how it was done, but can't replicate the process?
Reinard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Unofficial Answer: In the current timeline, I would say this applies to reforging Valyrian steel. This means, if you have an item made out of the metal, you can craft a new item the same size or smaller. The creation process itself has been lost to time.

To expand on the lore and concept, Maester's probably never new how to make Valyrian steel in the first place. From what little we know, Maester's never took a positive view (officially) of magic and the process seems to have involved some. Second, what little information we have suggests that the Citadel and Targaryens were at odds with each other, though the Targaryens may not have know it. There are rumors that the Maester's poisoned the dragons slowly over 200 years. Many of the Valyrian secrets died when their empire collapsed, Pompeii style.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Polymath » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:33 am

Greetings, fellow SIFRPers!

I discovered a couple of things in the Core Rulebook that might be issues for the errata. Before I post them though, I have two questions:

1) On page 48 under "Step Five: Destiny Points & Benefits", it says that there is a maximum number of starting benefits (shown on Table 3-10, p. 49). On page 50 however, it says one may invest destiny points immediately and at any time.
Doesn't this make a limit for the maximum number of starting benefits superfluous, since a player could invest the rest of his destiny points right after starting the game?

2) The benefit "Blood of the Wildlings" on page 76 states that characters with high Status can never automatically compel a character with this benefit and must always engage in an intrigue.
My question: Are there rules for automatic compelling (without intrigues) through high status?

Thanks!
Last edited by Polymath on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polymath
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 am

Polymath wrote:2) The benefit "Blood of the Wildlings" on page 76 states that characters with high Status can never automatically compel a character with this benefit and must always engage in an intrigue.
My question: Are there rules for automatic compelling (without intrigues) through high status?

Thanks!

Perhaps the problem is in the wording. I couldn't find rules for automatic compelling myself, but under the rules for the Persuasion ability it is mentioned that not all roleplaying exchanges need a full blown Intrigue; in minor situations, a character may simply roll Persuasion against the passive Will of the target to affect the target's disposition. Possibly a Narrator character does not have this option against a Blood of Wildlings player character and can't change this character's disposition, even for a rather short time, without a full-blown Intrigue.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:12 am

On p. 147 it discusses being able to automatically Influence a target if your Status is equal or greater than their DR.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Polymath » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 am

Jon Snow wrote:On p. 147 it discusses being able to automatically Influence a target if your Status is equal or greater than their DR.

That's it, thanks!

Any ideas on the maximum number of starting benefits?
Polymath
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 am

Polymath wrote:Greetings, fellow SIFRPers!

I discovered a couple of things in the Core Rulebook that might be issues for the errata. Before I post them though, I have two questions:

1) On page 48 under "Step Five: Destiny Points & Benefits", it says that there is a maximum number of starting benefits (shown on Table 3-10, p. 49). On page 50 however, it says one may invest destiny points immediately and at any time.
Doesn't this make a limit for the maximum number of starting benefits superfluous, since a player could invest the rest of his destiny points right after starting the game?

It is superfluous IMO and I ignored it for my game.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Symeon Star-Eyes » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Irontruth wrote:
Polymath wrote:Greetings, fellow SIFRPers!

It is superfluous IMO and I ignored it for my game.

Yeah, I basically let my players invest their DP however they wanted, so long as the benefits made sense with their concept.
Symeon Star-Eyes
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Under the Animal Handling Ability it is said that the number of tests for training an animal is the creature's Will minus Reason.

So far, so good.

But ... what is Reason?
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zeroed » Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 am

I believe that Reason is the Cunning rank.

Animals with a high Will rank tend to be stubborn and reluctant to learn new tricks. However, animals with a high Cunning rank can learn pretty fast once they are broken and set their mind to it.
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rulandor » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 am

To interpret Cunning as Reason was my first reaction, too, but it doesn't make an awful lot of sense, as all animals have Cunning 1. So I tend to disregard the Reason-thing and make animal training time dependent only on the animal's Will.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zeroed » Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 am

For most animals, yes, I agree that they all have Cunning 1. However, some exceptionally bright pet monkeys or (if you play in another era) dragonlings may have an higher Cunning rank. As always, it's all up to the GM. :)
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Rayeti » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 am

Jon Snow wrote:Remember, my take is not official :D But here it is:

Flaws say that they reduce all Derived Characteristics by 1. Step Eight in the Character Creation section lists the Derived Characteristics which include Damage.

along with this question line, does a flaw reduce your passive stat? as an example, what would the passive animal handling of a character with animal handling 3 and an animal handling flaw be?
Rayeti
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Rayeti wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:Remember, my take is not official :D But here it is:

along with this question line, does a flaw reduce your passive stat? as an example, what would the passive animal handling of a character with animal handling 3 and an animal handling flaw be?

Flaws do reduce passive scores. Check out the Flaw description on pp 89-90. So for the example you give, that character's passive animal handling would be 8.
3-1 for the flaw.
2x4 to get the passive score.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Rayeti » Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 am

Jon Snow wrote:Flaws do reduce passive scores. Check out the Flaw description on pp 89-90. So for the example you give, that character's passive animal handling would be 8.
3-1 for the flaw.
2x4 to get the passive score.

gotcha, thanks!
Rayeti
Bystander
Bystander

Stand Up

Postby Ser Kinslayer » Thu May 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Question regarding the action needed to stand up.

The Quick Play rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the PC wears armor of Bulk 2; the Core rules say that standing up requires a Greater Action if the armor's Armor Rating is 6 or higher.

Which is it?
Ser Kinslayer
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG