SIFRP (Non-Core): FAQ and Updates

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

SIFRP (Non-Core): FAQ and Updates

Postby RJS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am

Place any questions related to SIFRP products beyond the core RPG here.

Thanks!
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 am

Peril at King's Landing

On p. 14 there is a skill test for calming the horses that is Routine (3). The difficulty should be a 6 for a Routine challenge.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:13 am

Peril at King's Landing

p. 77 Adham
Intrigue 9
Attack with a Tourney Lance 3D+1B (during Joust 3D+1B-1D)
Damage with Tourney Lance 6 (8 during Joust)

p. 80 Naton
Attack with Tourney Lance 4D+1B (during Joust 4D+1B-1D)
Damage with Tourney Lance 8 (10 during Joust)

p. 84 Glarus
Attacks with both Braavosi blade and left hand dagger should be 4D+1B

p. 93 Kingsguard
Statblock shows a 3B in longblades but Attack line has 5D+2B
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby phild » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:31 am

p. 93 Kingsguard Status = 4
Quality "Man of the Kingsguard" automatically sets Status to 5. These NPCs ought to reflect the same, even if they don't have that Quality.
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Sylvie Harte

Postby kckolbe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Sylvie has Status 4, and is the second daughter of a minor House Lord. Her father would have to have Status 7 for her to be a 4, which means a minor house would have to have 61+ Influence, which seems a bit unrealistic. I can't prove it's an error, as I do not know the House stats, but seems it should be a 3. Also, her elder sister should be no more than a 4, possibly a 3 as well.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Sylvie Harte

Postby Jolly Buccaneer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 am

kckolbe wrote:Sylvie has Status 4, and is the second daughter of a minor House Lord. Her father would have to have Status 7 for her to be a 4, which means a minor house would have to have 61+ Influence, which seems a bit unrealistic. I can't prove it's an error, as I do not know the House stats, but seems it should be a 3. Also, her elder sister should be no more than a 4, possibly a 3 as well.

The way I thought it would work is her father would have would have a 5 as head of a minor house and his heir would have a 4.
Jolly Buccaneer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kckolbe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:08 am

A daughter isn't really an heir outside of Dorne. She is a firstborn daughter.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jolly Buccaneer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 am

I still believe in the book it gives an example of the children of the noble being one below him .. i could be wrong though I do not have the book on me.
Jolly Buccaneer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:34 am

Addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby kckolbe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

I didn't see anything regarding Wedding Knight, just Peril at King's Landing.
kckolbe
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jolly Buccaneer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 am

What about errors in the main book? I recall seeing that at one point it says investing 200 gold into your house nets +1 wealth but in the narrators section it says 1000 gold nets +1 wealth.
Jolly Buccaneer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby phild » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:34 am

Jolly Buccaneer wrote:What about errors in the main book? I recall seeing that at one point it says investing 200 gold into your house nets +1 wealth but in the narrators section it says 1000 gold nets +1 wealth.

Check out the main rulebook FAQ.
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby NRP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

SIFRP Campaign Guide, pg. 54

The "Typical Kingsguard" stat block should have Status 5, as the Kingsguard Benefit automatically grants it. Additionally, they should have the prerequisite Benefits.

pg. 172

While not technically an error, Gregor Clegane and Sandor Clegane are some of the strongest men in Westeros - Sandor at least as much as Brienne of Tarth - and their stat blocks should be altered to reflect that. Gregor in particular is noted to have strength commensurate with his size, which is that of one of the largest beings in Westeros.

Additionally, Tywin Lannister (pg. 168) should have Status 8, not Status 5 (the equal of Frey or Lysa Arryn).
NRP
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:49 pm

p. 12 under the heading The Present Day: It mentions that the time frame is 284 years after Aegon's Landing. I don't think that is correct if the time frame is also fifteen years after the War of the Usurper.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby NRP » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 pm

SIFRP Campaign Guide, pg. 12

If the Campaign Guide is current as to the beginning of A Game of Thrones, the year should be 298 AL, not 284.

SIFRP Campaign Guide, pg. 16, pg. 24

Bastards may indeed become knights; there are many examples of them doing so, though non-noble bastards are highly unlikely to be anointed. If there is a law against them becoming anointed knights, that is another matter, but any knight may make a knight of anyone.

There are numerous examples of bastard knights; Duncan is one (...sort of), but from GRRM himself: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1045/
NRP
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Campaign Guide

p. 21 Next to last paragraph under Stories & Legends. Says Aegon the Dragonknight. Should be Aemon the Dragonknight.

p. 27 Third paragraph under Illness. Says Redspots never kills anyone over the age of ten. Should be under the age of ten.

I won't post too many dealing with Statblocks as those are all open to interpretation. I will post those I come across that I think are incorrect or would be substantiated clearly from the books.

Tyrion should have Language in High Valyrian.

Ser Brynden Tully should have specialty dice in Swimming. It is mentioned he is a very strong swimmer.

Ser Brynden Tully has 1B in Shields. He should not have the -1D penalty when Fighting with the Large Shield. He should also get +1 for his Talented Fighting with his Shield.

As mentioned elsewhere, Maester Aemon is missing his Knowledge skill.

Barristan Selmy has Blood of Heroes but it doesn't specify for which Ability. I would assume Fighting.

Jaime Lannister should have a Composure of 8 with Man of the Kingsguard. Also a status of 5. Which would raise his Intrigue Defense to 9.

Jaime Lannister has Blood of the Andals but it doesn't specify which Ability. I assume Fighting. He also has Talented Fighting but it isn't included in his attacks with War Lance and Large Shield.

Tywin Lannister should have a 6 Status at least as the Lord's of the other Great Houses. Therefore his Intrigue Defense would be 12.

Tywin has Blood of the Andals but the Ability isn't specified. I figure either Warfare or Status.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Re: SIFRP (Non-Core): FAQ and Updates

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 am

Campaign Guide

Sandor Clegane's strength isn't high enough to qualify for the Fury benefit. Should be at least 2B.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Pocket Edition

Stat block for The Others is missing.

Poison price chart in the Equipment section is missing.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Suunfibre » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Any idea if there may be some map packs in the works i like using mini's for representation but could use some maps to help out?

>:)
Suunfibre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wiggin » Sat May 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Following up on NRP's comment about Sandor and Gregor, in A Storm of Swords Jaime also counts himself as one of the strongest men in the Seven Kingdoms in a passage where he recognizes Brienne as also stronger than him:

"She is stronger than I am. The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain’s strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so . . . by rights, she should be the one wearing down."

While some of this may be attributed to bravado, and he's possibly missing some individuals (such as Hodor, Donal Noye, Victarion Greyjoy) it seems unlikely this passage even comes to mind if he's not near the top echelon of fighters in terms of his physical gifts.

His 4 Agility is arguably consistent with the character portrayed in the novels, but as currently statted, Jaime has 4 Athletics/0 Strength, which makes his other physical gifts quite average among statted characters who have more than limited experience in one-on-one combat.

Also, just as a general comment:

With all due respect and gratitude to the individuals who gave their time to put the original stat blocks together, it would be nice to see the NPCs reissued with stat blocks in line with the current rules and descriptions (including weapons and armor) and the various mathematical and character oversights corrected.

I well understand that as a role-playing game I can, and perhaps am encouraged to make my own Gregor Clegane, tailored to my group, if I want to use him in my campaign, but there is value IMO to having statistically reliable "official" NPCs that properly reflect the characters from the novels and that work correctly and seamlessly with the current rules. First, they give players and GMs from different campaigns a common point of reference for comparing notes, characters, encounters, etc. Second, they encourage both discussion and what I would call "alternative play" styles (player-controlled duels between 'NPCs' for example) that generate interest in the product, allow players to get more use out of it, and expand the consumer base.

Anyway:

Q: How likely is it we will see SIFRP campaign guides that cover, say, the Blackfyre Rebellion (with such NPCs as Bittersteel, Daemon Blackfyre, Bloodraven, etc.) or the Dunk & Egg era in the near future? What about "official" stat blocks for more novel-era characters (wildling and mountain clan chiefs/leaders, Dothraki, more bannermen or notable house guards, etc.)?
Wiggin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Archon007 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 am

Wiggin wrote:With all due respect and gratitude to the individuals who gave their time to put the original stat blocks together, it would be nice to see the NPCs reissued with stat blocks in line with the current rules and descriptions (including weapons and armor) and the various mathematical and character

Yeah the stat blocks are a joke. A character right out of the box can easily beat the crap put of any of the heroes from the books. Sad really that they put no thought into them.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby rulandor » Mon May 30, 2011 7:08 am

Archon007 wrote:
Yeah the stat blocks are a joke. A character right out of the box can easily beat the crap put of any of the heroes from the books. Sad really that they put no thought into them.

I am not so sure. I looked up two examples, two adult fighters in the Campaign Setting book. Base values for adult characters are 210 ability experience and 80 specialty experience.

Gregor Clegane has 280 ability experience and 140 specialty experience, 4 benefits and two drawbacks.

Jaime Lannister has 300 ability experience and 120 specialty experience, 6 benefits and 2 drawbacks.

Why should these narrator characters be "jokes" compared to a freshly made player character?
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Archon007 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 pm

rulandor wrote:
Archon007 wrote:

I am not so sure. I looked up two examples, two adult fighters in the Campaign Setting book. Base values for adult characters are 210 ability experience and 80 specialty experience.

Gregor Clegane has 280 ability experience and 140 specialty experience, 4 benefits and two drawbacks.

Jaime Lannister has 300 ability experience and 120 specialty experience, 6 benefits and 2 drawbacks.

Why should these narrator characters be "jokes" compared to a freshly made player character?

Because Jaime Lannister is suppose to be the BEST swordsman in all the realm and a new character being made can be equally as good if not better than him. That's what I meant by a joke. It's a system thing, in my campaigns I don't let starting characters have more than a 5 in 1 or 2 abilities if they want higher then they can only get it from adventured experience.
Archon007
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Irontruth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 am

Archon007 wrote:Because Jaime Lannister is suppose to be the BEST swordsman in all the realm and a new character being made can be equally as good if not better than him. That's what I meant by a joke. It's a system thing, in my campaigns I don't let starting characters have more than a 5 in 1 or 2 abilities if they want higher then they can only get it from adventured experience.

That's a personal preference, that I think is more based on a D&D-esque (or similar game focused on growth of character abilities) paradigm of gaming. I think a middle-aged character who is completely focused on combat should be on equal footing with Jamie Lannister, and that's my preference for this kind of game. I think it's cool that you could potentially play a character who is at the peak of their career and is now on a downward slope.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Micaelian » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 am

I know the last post here is about nine months old, but I have recently fond an errata and I think this is the proper thread to publish it.

Chronicle Starter, p. 60, Gareth Stone's stat block: The stats are all well calculated... if Gareth was a middle-aged man. He's an adult man instead (indeed, as the text makes clear, he's twenty-three). Thus he should have one less ability point, two less bonus specialty dice, and one more Destiny point. Any official suggestions about how to fix that?

Thanks in advance.
Micaelian
Bystander
Bystander

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG