SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Assist

Postby Templar » Sun May 31, 2009 12:48 am

Hello,

I have a question about assist which arose in our last game.

The situation was the following:
Opponent 1 (O1) was assisting Opponent 2 (O2) since they noticed that one alone was not able to penetrate the players defence. But then - in the heat of the combat - it happened that the player character killed O1 before it was O2's turn.

Thus we asked ourself if O2, when it is his' turn, still gets the bonus dice?

On the one hand I totally understand the argument of my players (players mainly argue to their advantage ;) ) that O1 is gone and with him the assistence.
On the other hand I argued that one has to see the combat more as a whole thing and even if we have an initiative order it does not mean that things only occur if it is their turn. Thus fighters do not lay down their weapon until it is their turn, make some swing and then stop again.
To make it short I argued that O1 somehow prepared the player with his wild swings that later on O2 will get an advantage. Even if O1 might be dead allready.

What do you think or how would you handle it?

Honestly,
Templar.
Templar
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sun May 31, 2009 6:51 am

and... addressed for 6/1
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Tourney Lances

Postby Brudewollen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am

Should Tourney Lances have the "Fragile" quality so that one may "break lances" with an opponent?
Brudewollen
Dabbler
Dabbler

Status/Power inconsistancies

Postby Brudewollen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 pm

The Status chart on page 65 and the Status levels listed in the House resources section don't seem to mesh.

Status 4 on p. 65 suggests the highest the head of the household can be is a landed knight. On page 96, the Influence chart says that starting at Influence 21, one should be a "small minor house," however on page 103 the Maximum Status one can achieve based on Table 6-5 for Influence resource 21-40 is level 4.

So, the table on page 96 says my Influence level 33 for the house I'm making should be "a minor house" like the Clegane, Payne or Karstark, but based on the tables on pages 65 and 103 the highest our house can be are landed knights (on page 96 the table suggests landed knights should be for Influence levels 1-20).

Which table is correct, or am I just reading the charts wrong?

Also, Power score on page 97 doesn't make sense either. The table says that at 21-30, one should have at least 1 banner house but the cost of the 1st banner house on page 104 is 20, which at score 21 would leave only 1 point remaining for one's own forces. Should the 1st Banner house cost less or should the first banner house not be likely until scores 31+?
Brudewollen
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby RJS » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:56 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Roland Stone » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:53 am

Q) How do I pay for mercenary units?
A) You acquire mercenary units as you would any other unit. You pay the base power cost as determined by the unit’s training + 1. In addition, you must also deduct an amount of Wealth based on the unit’s training as well. For example, to acquire a trained mercenary unity, you must invest 4 Power (3 + 1) and reduce your Wealth by 3.

It seems to me that mercenaries of higher training are very expensive if considering their combined power and wealth cost. What is the purpose behind this? And why would I want to buy mercenaries of any higher training than "green"? Their combined power and wealth prices are absurd under this rule, while they are only marginally more robust than infantry, and have an additional discipline penalty.
Roland Stone
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Le Faiseur » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 am

Yeah, it seemed to me that for mercenaries, Power investment was replaced by Wealth investment. So, a powerless but rich House could afford some protection. I mean, instead of being irreversibly conquered if its immediate neighbour suddenly decided to wage war against it : after all, why would a Noble House decide to not conquer new lands in a fast, easy and absolutely not dangerous move ?

I have a question too: in Chapter 10 (Warfare), it appears that Fortifications can be bought for Land and Defense Holdings with House Resource. So, a Small Castle could have its Defense increased to +6 instead of +3. Very well, but how much Wealth or Defense Resource points does it cost ?
I could not find it, neither in House management, nor in Warfare chapter.
Le Faiseur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:06 pm

p.152 Small sword is listed as a Fencing weapon. p. 169 Small sword is listed as a Short blade.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby hkdharmon » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Why is Hide Armor better than chain?

Hides weighs 15 lbs less, costs 400ss less, has the same AR, a smaller Armor Penalty and the same bulk. Why would I buy chain?
Hide is also better than a breastplate!
hkdharmon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 pm

hkdharmon wrote:Why is Hide Armor better than chain?

Hides weighs 15 lbs less, costs 400ss less, has the same AR, a smaller Armor Penalty and the same bulk. Why would I buy chain?
Hide is also better than a breastplate!

Hide armor has been corrected in the errata.

It has an armor penalyt of -3 and a bulk of 3.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby RJS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Experience Awards

Postby 3EyedCrow » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Pg 192
If I read this correctly, an average award after a story would include:
1 Destiny point, 2 points of Glory, 12 points of experience, and 600 Gold Dragons
So after 1 story the PCs could buy 1 of everything in the book & have over 30,000 silver stags left over.
Should the Coin Reward be listed in (SS) instead of (GD)?
3EyedCrow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Irontruth » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:05 pm

The money reward is the recommended amount for a scene in which a coin reward is appropriate. Remember that rewards can come from a lot of sources, but they should always make sense. Defeating a hedge knight who was extremely skilled but poor shouldn't result in a coin reward.

Also, the coin reward is geared towards players who are members of a house. 200 GD = +1 point of Wealth for a house. Since Wealth converts at a 2:1 ratio, that gold doesn't go very far. For instance, recruiting a unit of trained Cavalry costs 8 power, which equals 16 wealth, which costs 3200 GD.
Irontruth
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Le Faiseur » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 am

Problem with Tourney Lances

Since tourney lances got the Fragile quality, it seems that they always break when used, at least in tournament.
According to table 9-4, lances shatter on a failure or with one degree of success.
Since they are now fragile too, thay also shatter with two or more degree of success.
Was it intentional, to give them the fragile quality even when tournament rules already took into account the possibility to "break lances" ?
Le Faiseur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zebuleon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 am

Attacks per round.

On page 159 it says "You may make only one attack in a round, regardless of action it requires"

Does this mean that when you spend a destiny point or gain a point of fatigue for a another Lesser Action, that Lesser Action can not be an attack?
zebuleon
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Le Faiseur » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:46 am

Oh, by the way, concerning my question about fortifications. I thought after reading the chapter 10 that fortifications could be somehow improved. That was the meaning of my question. As it seems that the fortification cost is simply the cost given in chapter 6, then there is a problem of table correspondance :
Chapter 6: Stronghold to tower, the bonus defense goes from +10 to +1
Chapter 10: same fortifications, but the bonus defense goes from +12 to +3...

Which one should be used ?
Personnally I prefer the bonus given in Chapter 10, but...
Le Faiseur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 am

Le Faiseur wrote:Oh, by the way, concerning my question about fortifications. I thought after reading the chapter 10 that fortifications could be somehow improved. That was the meaning of my question. As it seems that the fortification cost is simply the cost given in chapter 6, then there is a problem of table correspondance :
Chapter 6: Stronghold to tower, the bonus defense goes from +10 to +1
Chapter 10: same fortifications, but the bonus defense goes from +12 to +3...

Which one should be used ?
Personnally I prefer the bonus given in Chapter 10, but...

Errata indicates Chap. 10 numbers (beginning with +12) should be used
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am

The Guard (p 211) and Assasin (p 210) stat blocks should have Combat Defense of 6 if my math is correct.

The Guard's Attack with the Halberd should be 4D since Halberd requires 1B training. (p 211)
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Combat: What counts as an "Attack"?

Postby Roland Stone » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 am

It says in the book that, in combat, you may only use one of your actions per turn to "attack". It has also been stated here that assisting another character's attack also counts as an attack.

However, can you, on the same turn, Attack and:
- command your horse to attack?
- pull rider from mount?
- disarm?
- distract?
- knockdown?
- maneuver?
- trample?
Roland Stone
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Allavandrel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Unless my calculation is wrong, you forgot to include this correction in the errata.

Page 199, Table 11-7:

The chance to succeed against a Very Hard (18) difficulty with 7 ranks is about 93-94%, not 98%.
Allavandrel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:17 am

addressed
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm

When jousting, should both contestants receive the Fighting from Horseback Bonus die?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Table 9-4 doesn't have a result for four degrees of success. I penciled in four degrees would require a Very Hard (18 ) ride test. Wanted to know if that was on track.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:36 pm

The Hedge Knight stat block on p 211 should have an attack of 4D for the lance and not 4D+1B.

Also, the Hedge Knight has a specialty Lance 1B - should be Spears 1B.

Also, listed as having heavy shield - should be large shield.
Last edited by Jon Snow on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Can someone with Long Blade Fighter I & II take advantage of both on the same attack. For example, can he sacrifice his two bonus dice in fighting to gain a free degree of succes and also move his opponent 1 yard?
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG