Torches & Pitchforks rules questions

Here you can discuss Green Ronin's card games, such as Torches & Pitchforks and Walk the Plank.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Torches & Pitchforks rules questions

Postby superscurry » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:01 pm

Having a lot of fun with this game, but some questions regarding the rules have come up:

1: Defense cards. If you have one of the cards that has the "defends against a monster with strength of #", can another player play a card that adds to that monsters power to try to counter it? here's our house rule until there is some sort of amendment to the rules: If you play it to your "support area" and it's there WHEN you flip the monster over, it's instant. If you play it like an action card, then your opponent may cancel it or may try to add to the monsters strength. Any suggestions here?

2: Action cards: the rule book states that if there is a question as to who can play an action card first, the card is played by the person who's turn it is. Now, does this mean that, in turn, everyone on the table may an action, clockwise? How about if player one plays a card, then player 2 plays an action card. Then, player 3 has an action card that cancels. Can he still cancel Player 1's card? from what i can tell from the rule book, you must cancel a player's card before THAT player plays another card? could you guys help me with this?

also, i really hope this great game gets an expansion or two!!! how about the next set having glow in the dark cards that maybe have some kind of special game mechanic? or cards in 3d, glasses included?

anyways, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!
"I think, therefore, you is."
superscurry
Bystander
Bystander

Postby i3ullseye » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:13 am

I have seen a few little hurdles like these in our sessions also. But for the msot part it is all clearly defined. here is our current play cycle....

Note, this is how WE play it, and may not be as intended. But it has kept the arguments down to a low roar.

1- Draw to 5 cards first and foremost. No cards are played at all at this stage.

2- Draw your monster card. If it is an event then it goes into effect. If it is a monster you must now decide to fight or flee. Still no cards are played.

AFTER the decision to fight or flee, the players whose turn it is then gets to play their first card.... then each player clockwise around the table gets to respond. If this cycles, then they can play their second card.

I basically decided that the decision to fight or flee needed to be made before knowing if people were going to steal cards from your hand and such, otherwise it influences that decision. I also had a friend then decide he woudl fight, and lay down 2 charges and a stragglers all at once to play them so they could not be countered or stolen.

Making sure each player plays ONE card, and the option to play cycles around the table clockwise, avoids any of this.

Defenses apply to the strength printed on card, and can not be modified to avoid it it would seem. And when you go hunting, your defense no longer applies, but the text of Monster still does. If you hunt and get a rat, it still runs away if you have any weapons.

There are a few cards and situations that seem to need some clarification. Like when you are overpopulated, it never says you must drop a townsfolk that is from the MOB deck, but maybe it should, as normal Townsfolk do not have a standard discard pile. So if you remove those, they do not have the chance to cycle back into the game.

A few defense cards have erroneous Strength and Kill numbers for the monsters they protect against. Antacid is one example of this, but there are like 3 we have noticed that are off.
i3ullseye

~"You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!"
http://murpg.proboards19.com
i3ullseye
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Strom » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 pm

What's up GR and friends? Big Warhammer Fanatsy RPG fan here (and M&M). I was looking for a game I could play with my 7 year old son (don't worry we have played WFRPG - he's rolled some dice :lol:) but I wanted to play a card game. So I checked out Green Ronin and found Torches & Pitchforks and picked it up. We love the game and are having a real blast playing. This weekend my wife will join in and play as well.

One question we have - and it seems very important - but when you draw a townsfolk from the Mob deck - when can you play it and have them join the Mob? Do you have to wait until the Recoup phase? Obviously, this can effect the strength of the mob if you can play it immediately.

Thanks in advance. I hope a T&P expansion is still a possibility. It's a great game. 8)
Strom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SassyRonin » Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 am

Sorry for the delay--didn't see this 'til now.

You may only play Townsfolk cards from your hand during the Recoup phase.

Strom wrote:What's up GR and friends? Big Warhammer Fanatsy RPG fan here (and M&M). I was looking for a game I could play with my 7 year old son (don't worry we have played WFRPG - he's rolled some dice :lol:) but I wanted to play a card game. So I checked out Green Ronin and found Torches & Pitchforks and picked it up. We love the game and are having a real blast playing. This weekend my wife will join in and play as well.

One question we have - and it seems very important - but when you draw a townsfolk from the Mob deck - when can you play it and have them join the Mob? Do you have to wait until the Recoup phase? Obviously, this can effect the strength of the mob if you can play it immediately.

Thanks in advance. I hope a T&P expansion is still a possibility. It's a great game. 8)
SassyRonin
Triple Secret Administrator

Postby Strom » Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 am

Thanks SR! I guess we will have to change how we have been doing it as we have let the townsfolk join the mob right away. We are still having a good time with the game. Thanks for the answer.
Strom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SassyRonin » Tue May 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Strom wrote:Thanks SR! I guess we will have to change how we have been doing it as we have let the townsfolk join the mob right away. We are still having a good time with the game. Thanks for the answer.

Well, of course, if you have fun with it your way, feel free to keep on doing it like that. Might make for faster games, which might keep it more interesting for a 7-y-o, depending on his attention span... ;)

And for an Unsolicited Shameless Plug, this week should see the release of my own card game, Walk the Plank (also published by Green Ronin). It's a twist on classic trick-taking games like Spade, Hearts, and the like, with a pirate theme. You can see an art preview here. If your son is clever enough to play Torches & Pitchforks at seven years old, I predict you'll all have a blast playing Walk the Plank.
SassyRonin

Postby Strom » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks Evan - Walk the Plank looks like a perfect companion to T&P! Thanks for the heads up 8)
Strom
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Card & Board Games