Cough*announcement*cough*soon*cough*? ;)

Dragon Fist, Chris Pramas' fantasy RPG of high-flyin' martial arts action, is finally going to see print at the hands of Green Ronin. This forum is closed while the game is being re-developed.

Postby TheCap'n » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:29 pm

Rubio wrote:Not even a "still not dead"?

It's not dead...just sleeping....
:-)
TheCap'n
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tenzhi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:25 am

Seems more like it's in a "persistent vegetative state."
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nikchick » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:37 am

Tenzhi wrote:Seems more like it's in a "persistent vegetative state."

Until the new manuscript is in a form we can accept and that meets our expectations, we're just not going to release the book. I mean, after all this time we figure we might as well get it right.

Tony did some good work toward that goal, but it's not "there" yet. While it's still being developed there's just not that much to say.
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Tenzhi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:01 pm

My feelings on that are balanced on the edge of a razor. On the one hand, I appreciate that Green Ronin is dedicated to giving us quality products (and their releases thus far are a good example of said quality); but on the other, after waiting long enough for dinner you get hungry to the point of just needing food and the quality be damned.

I believe some of us have waited so long that we're taking on a zombie-like pallor and shall soon be clamoring monosyllabically for "books" like the aforementioned undead do for "brains." ;)
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rubio » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:30 am

*holding back tears, tries to soothe the fellow non-CWT survivor*
It's okay. You just have to let the healing begin. We just have to accept that we won't see a martial arts action game in CWT, and that's not our fault. We have to accept on faith that Green Ronin will deliver, we have to allow ourselves to have faith again!
"Fungah! Foiled again!"
-Bowser

"This is beginning to PISS ME OFF!
Does this place have a never-ending supply of WEIRD STUFF!?"
-Susano Orbatos, Orion
Rubio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pagan priest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Nikchick wrote:Until the new manuscript is in a form we can accept and that meets our expectations, we're just not going to release the book. I mean, after all this time we figure we might as well get it right.

Tony did some good work toward that goal, but it's not "there" yet. While it's still being developed there's just not that much to say.

I've got to agree, better "right" than "right now", but it's also nice to have an occasional word that it is still a work in progress... even if that word is only to say the great work continues.

After all, we've suffered in silence this long, what's a little more suffering? :cry:
Peace through victory!

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin
Pagan priest
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Tenzhi » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:26 pm

I wonder if it's naive of me to hope that they'll have some sort of useful info at GenCon...
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nikchick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am

Tenzhi wrote:I wonder if it's naive of me to hope that they'll have some sort of useful info at GenCon...

There is nothing to say about Dragon Fist. Nothing useful or otherwise. The work that Tony did on the manuscript isn't going to work for what we want. We have put it back into development. It is not on the schedule until the manuscript is in some sort of useable form.
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Tenzhi » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:15 pm

Hrm. Guess I'll have to make do with my own Jury-rigging skill. ::buys Book of Nine Swords and smashes it against True20 until something useable is formed from the aether::
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rubio » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:38 am

So, shelved until further notice? Well, that's something of an information update. Little depressing, but an update nonetheless.
Like old times, eh, Tenzhi? Now what in the bluudy drek is dis Book of Nine Swords you are saying?
"Fungah! Foiled again!"
-Bowser

-Susano Orbatos, Orion
Rubio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tenzhi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:50 am

Rubio wrote:So, shelved until further notice? Well, that's something of an information update. Little depressing, but an update nonetheless.
Like old times, eh, Tenzhi? Now what in the bluudy drek is dis Book of Nine Swords you are saying?

Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords is a recent release from WotC that supposedly provides a better martial-artsy combat set for the game. I want to get a better look at it before I commit to picking it up, though. What I've seen of it has me thinking I might be able to modify it and combine it with True20 (itself modified a bit to work with HP or Wounds/Vitality) and maybe get the sort of fantasy martial arts out of it that I have been wanting for awhile now (but which I keep getting left without as official products from different companies fail to see the light of day - I don't blame any of them, it's just an irritating situation).
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nikchick » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:13 pm

Rubio wrote:So, shelved until further notice?

As I've said repeatedly, it's back in development. It's not "shelved" (as in no one is doing anything with it and it's going to languish). But until the manuscript is in a publishable form, there won't be any previews and it won't have a release date.

Nicole
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Zapp » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Perhaps you should just expand upon and then publish the original rules? That would at least appeal to the nostalgics...! :green:
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Pagan priest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:25 pm

Rubio wrote: Now what in the bluudy drek is dis Book of Nine Swords you are saying?

You get to go up levels in a fighter-type class that gets "maneuvers" like a sorcerer gets spells. Once you use a maneuver in combat, it is gone until you have the chance to get yourself back into condition to use it again (which can be done in the middle of combat), and there are stances that you use and keep using until you change to a different stance.

I remember seeing a stance that lets you add 10' to the length of your jumps, and they always count as a running jump. There is a maneuver "ballista toss" (or something like that) that lets you throw an opponent for 60'. Not only does that opponent take 6d6 of damage, so does everyone that he hits!

Over all, it might do until the real thing comes out.

~~~~~

Hey... can we take turns flogging the author until he's done? >:)
Peace through victory!

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin
Pagan priest
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Rubio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:28 am

Well strewth. One more book I have to buy on my dwindling supply of legal tender monetary units.

You flog, I'll kick. Someone else can read goth poetry. Each completed chapter earns a reprise for as long as it takes us to playtest. We could turn this into a business.
"Fungah! Foiled again!"
-Bowser

-Susano Orbatos, Orion
Rubio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kommando » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Zapp wrote:Perhaps you should just expand upon and then publish the original rules? That would at least appeal to the nostalgics...! :green:

As much as I would love to get my hands on that (as I lost my printed copies of the original PDFs), I think there are too much legalities for that to become a reality, unless of course Wizards gave the nod for some reason or another.
Kommando
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:27 pm

Well, I wasn't entirely serious...

But I can't help wondering if it isn't time to make a new entry (and a new category too!) to this article... :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_Hell
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby madmonk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:05 pm

Uh... sad but true. No offence intended, but man... With games like Weapons of the Gods, Qin, and Wuxia in stores (wuxia is still only available in french, tough), Dragon Fist will be a hard seller for people who are not fan of Green Ronin or the original DF.

Maybe Chris will make it for 4th edition rules when OA 4th edition is out...

Jokes aside, I will buy it if it comes out, but I'm not counting on it :-?

Mad Monk
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nikchick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 am

As the game is currently still being developed, and because frankly there's nothing to say about it and this forum is currently only being occasionally used (and then only to complain) I'm locking it up for the time being. The Dragon Fist forum will re-open when there's information about the game that can be shared.
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Previous

Return to Dragon Fist