Flurry of Questions

Dragon Fist, Chris Pramas' fantasy RPG of high-flyin' martial arts action, is finally going to see print at the hands of Green Ronin. This forum is closed while the game is being re-developed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Flurry of Questions

Postby madmonk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 am

So, if there is no level-based attack bonus, apart from your ability modifier, probably done with the stunt die, what do you add? feats like weapon focus? Please just tell me that it isn't skill based like BESM D20, it really doesn't work :S

Speaking of magical items. It was only after D&D that the term high magic was coined... in all epics, magic items are very rare; this includes chinese manhua and literature, if its even there! So, while I remember that DF had some magical items, they were not mass produced or generic as normal D&D, but rather more unique. Is this still true in the new DF? And what about masterwok weapons and special materials? While magic swords are not that common in chinese literature, weapons of legendary quality and/or materials are very common.

So there is only one class. I suppose there are no Prestige ones, right?. What about level? what is the maximum level you can aspire in DF? since it is not D&D, maybe level 20+ is much more feasible.

The last one is... monsters. Are there a lot of monsters? It was one of my favourite part of the original DF, so do they appear in the new DF? And after seeing the cover, are there... DRAGONS!?!?! Depending on how they are presented, they would rock or suck.

Tha last one, are there NEW sects? For example, there was a ying (or yang) kit for magicians, so how about the opposite? (in terms of both rules and sects). Are there feats that have as prerequisites being member of certain sect?

The REAL last one. Are there player character races (or npc races) apart from human?
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Flurry of Questions

Postby skywalker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:22 pm

madmonk wrote:So, if there is no level-based attack bonus, apart from your ability modifier, probably done with the stunt die, what do you add? feats like weapon focus? Please just tell me that it isn't skill based like BESM D20, it really doesn't work :S

So there is only one class. I suppose there are no Prestige ones, right?. What about level? what is the maximum level you can aspire in DF? since it is not D&D, maybe level 20+ is much more feasible.

It sounds like it will work a lot like the original with some M&M style splurges.

So:

1. BAB will be ability bonus (maybe), stunt bonus plus feats.
2. I think give the entire system is wuxia slanted that the levels will be from 1 to 20 but may not equate to D&D levels.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby tmlee15 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:54 am

Sorry I couldn't get to this sooner. My Internet hasn't been reliable lately.

madmonk wrote:So, if there is no level-based attack bonus, apart from your ability modifier, probably done with the stunt die, what do you add? feats like weapon focus? Please just tell me that it isn't skill based like BESM D20, it really doesn't work :S

Not skill based (DF2 got its own take on "skills" too, but that's another story... :wink:), but feat based.

So, while I remember that DF had some magical items, they were not mass produced or generic as normal D&D, but rather more unique. Is this still true in the new DF? And what about masterwok weapons and special materials? While magic swords are not that common in chinese literature, weapons of legendary quality and/or materials are very common.

Yes, the amount of magic items is still low. DF will be a game about your characters, not your characters' magic items. Masterwork weapons work pretty much as in standard d20, at a lower availability too. The Five Legendary Weapons are still there :D, but they're the only ones specifically mentioned.

So there is only one class. I suppose there are no Prestige ones, right?. What about level? what is the maximum level you can aspire in DF?

Well, there's NO class, not one... and naturally no Prestige Classes, either. No maximum level in DF.

The last one is... monsters. Are there a lot of monsters? It was one of my favourite part of the original DF, so do they appear in the new DF?

All the monsters in the original DF appeared in the new version as well.

Tha last one, are there NEW sects? Are there feats that have as prerequisites being member of certain sect?

Yes, there are new sects. The "feat benefit" for sects usually works the other way around: they let you bypass certain prerequisites of certain feats. For some sects, you do need to have certain feats to be a member.

The REAL last one. Are there player character races (or npc races) apart from human?

Currently, no, because the genre favors human protagonists (no surprise since it's primarily historically based). Nonhumans (frex, transformed snakes, fox spirits, etc.) are much better suited as NPCs and plot devices in traditional wuxia stories.
Tony Lee

Designer, WWE: KNOW YOUR ROLE; OGL DRAGON FIST: PHOENIX EDITION; EXTREME VENGEANCE: DIRECTOR'S CUT
Design Crew and Resident Chinese Language Monkey, SERENITY RPG
Line Developer, D20 3.5E SOVEREIGN STONE
tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jason_Sunday » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm

I am curious, how will different styles work? What about the moves that you seek out the reclusive master for (like eagle claw, Low hand fist, shaking eagle claw, and Buddha palm)? Will they be feats?
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Tenzhi » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:02 am

tmlee15 wrote:Currently, no, because the genre favors human protagonists (no surprise since it's primarily historically based). Nonhumans (frex, transformed snakes, fox spirits, etc.) are much better suited as NPCs and plot devices in traditional wuxia stories.

What, no room for mischievous monkeys, shapeshifting pig-demons, an ox demon, and a butterfly princess to accompany your human monk on his Journey to the West?

Surely there's at least a Margin left for 36 celestials and 72 fiends?

Not even a place in Three whole Kingdoms for a bearded, red-faced demi-god?

Pshaw.
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Strand0 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:27 am

tmlee15 wrote:
madmonk wrote:So there is only one class. I suppose there are no Prestige ones, right?. What about level? what is the maximum level you can aspire in DF?
Well, there's NO class, not one... and naturally no Prestige Classes, either. No maximum level in DF.
Wow,
and
Cool,
AND
It is going to be a unique game system. Watch out or you may end up with a new True20-esk situation of people demanding that base system without the World of Martial Arts in it. :green:
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby madmonk » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:54 am

Maybe but the Fist's setting is really cool, and you know, the genre has been going strong lately, and we are waiting for Jet's new movie, fearles... You can't miss that... as well as you can't miss the Fist 8)

PS: And also thanks for answering Tony, but I somewhat love/hate your answers... I tried to come with questions about the most important topics of the game (at least for me), but instead of appeasing my appetite, your answers have leaved me starving.
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Fist