What was the verdict on Dragonfist's system?

Dragon Fist, Chris Pramas' fantasy RPG of high-flyin' martial arts action, is finally going to see print at the hands of Green Ronin. This forum is closed while the game is being re-developed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

What was the verdict on Dragonfist's system?

Postby screamwhip » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:24 pm

I noticed on the Amazon writeup that DragonFist will be a 'complete roleplaying game with everything you need to get started'.

I was wondering if any of the Green Ronin staff can say if it will be OGL, True 20, or something else?

Thanks in Advance!
screamwhip
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Strand0 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:10 am

It would be nice to know.

:green:
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby REG » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:01 pm

Why is it that Amazon.com can release this albeit scarce information when Green Ronin haven't made their official announcement?

What's the deal with Amazon.com?
Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

A Generation Kikaida Fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer
REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Nikchick » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:43 am

We have to tell the book trade that a book will be available six months in advance (or more). Often, the book is still in development when the book trade or distributors release the information. They're going from the bare bones information we've given them; we aren't going to be issuing any press releases based on distributor-level detail. :)
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Re: What was the verdict on Dragonfist's system?

Postby Pramas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:54 am

screamwhip wrote:I was wondering if any of the Green Ronin staff can say if it will be OGL, True 20, or something else?

Thanks in Advance!

It's going to be a stand-alone OGL game.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby saberhagen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:15 am

Pramas wrote:
It's going to be a stand-alone OGL game.

I've already ordered my copy from Amazon - so how about a pdf preview of some of the wuxia goodness :D in time for Christmas?

Tim
saberhagen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Insidious Zhao » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:57 pm

Pramas wrote:It's going to be a stand-alone OGL game.

Any chance that it will incorporate at least some of the refinements from True20/M&M (reduced emphasis on character classes, streamlined skills list, etc.)?

Thanks,
-Z-
The Insidious Zhao
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Chairman Aeon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:23 pm

I'm hoping for a True20 framework where Kung Fu replaces feats ... and a pony. >:)

Iain.
<!--#include virtual="witty_tagline"-->
Chairman Aeon
Henchman
Henchman

Postby tetsujin28 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:34 am

Not me! I want more feats! More! More!
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Postby REG » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:36 am

I'm hoping it would complement my Japanese-flavored Oriental Adventures ... UNOFFICIALLY.

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby madmonk » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Will it contain rules for conversion to d&d/standard d20 or even true20, like the old df did? both the ranger and the monk character classes are waiting for this to be included! :P
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby tmlee15 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:46 pm

madmonk wrote:Will it contain rules for conversion to d&d/standard d20 or even true20, like the old df did? both the ranger and the monk character classes are waiting for this to be included! :P

Let's just say you'll be surprised at how character "classes" are done... :wink:
Tony Lee

Designer, WWE: KNOW YOUR ROLE; OGL DRAGON FIST: PHOENIX EDITION; EXTREME VENGEANCE: DIRECTOR'S CUT
Design Crew and Resident Chinese Language Monkey, SERENITY RPG
Line Developer, D20 3.5E SOVEREIGN STONE
tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby REG » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 am

Hmm. Just noticed your sig, Tony.

What is the "Phoenix Edition"?

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby skywalker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:53 am

REG wrote:What is the "Phoenix Edition"?

It could be just a replacement for 2nd edition i.e. a reference to the game's original death and then its rise from the ashes.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby tmlee15 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 am

skywalker wrote:
REG wrote:What is the "Phoenix Edition"?

It could be just a replacement for 2nd edition i.e. a reference to the game's original death and then its rise from the ashes.

Beat me to it. It's a title one of the playtesters suggested that we've started using. Very fitting, I thought.
Tony Lee

Designer, WWE: KNOW YOUR ROLE; OGL DRAGON FIST: PHOENIX EDITION; EXTREME VENGEANCE: DIRECTOR'S CUT
tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby madmonk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:48 am

I suppose we will use the same dice that in d&d and normal d20... so we will not use only a 1d20, right?
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby tmlee15 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:08 pm

madmonk wrote:I suppose we will use the same dice that in d&d and normal d20... so we will not use only a 1d20, right?

Yes, though the d12 looks to be the least used die in the new edition.
Tony Lee

tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lord Gwydion » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:47 am

Someday, the d12 will finally get some respect. :yar: Just not today.

tmlee, thanks for all the great info! I'm looking forward to seeing how the new DF looks. I've been holding off trying to start an OA game with my group just in case I either decide to run a pure DF game, or find lots of excellent stuff to port over to standard OA.

Looks like I'll have plenty of good stuff either way!
$240 worth of puddin'. Aww Yeah!
Lord Gwydion
Bystander
Bystander

Postby madmonk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:16 am

GAH! I can't wait! Please, tell us at least something about the new sistem. Whatever!

At least tell us that it ontains a 3-setion staff that doesn't suck.

:x Monk
Last edited by madmonk on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

d12s (OT)

Postby BobSlaughter » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Lord Gwydion wrote:Someday, the d12 will finally get some respect. :yar: Just not today.

Check out Pokethulhu and their use of Shining Dodecahedrons: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm

Enjoy!
BobSlaughter
Bystander
Bystander

Postby tmlee15 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:25 pm

madmonk wrote:Please, tell us at least something about the new sistem.

All right. First of all, there are no character classes. You're free to build your characters however you want with feats. Instead of Hit Points, you have Chi, which doubles as energy reserve and damage "buffer" before you start suffering serious injuries.

When you take a beatdown from the Big Bad or his minions, you actually gain karma in form of temporary Chi, so you can then use the extra points later in your revenge (i.e., the climatic battle)!

There's also rule mechanic for epiphanies, moments when you realize why your Master put you through all those bizarre "wax on, wax off" exercises... because they are the perfect counter to the villain's deadly kung fu! Not going into details here, but it's a simple but neat concept.

Magic is a combination of traditional spell list and improvisation. A spell is not the same as any others all the time anymore. Want that Heart Ripper to tear through a whole army that's storming the city? You can improvise it to do that!

At least tell us that it ontains a 3-etion staff that doesn't suck.

LOL... Don't know if it doesn't suck, but it has a better crit range than a sword :D
Tony Lee

tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby madmonk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 pm

I was thinking along those lines, no character class... every character balanced... Hell, I will miss the original kits, but I miss a lot from second edition so... :oops:

I missed the "s", sorry... but yeah, all 3-s staves I have seen suck big time... I wouldn't normally care but after seeing priceless gems of HK cinema like shaolin vs. ninja or the 36 chambers of shaolin, my opinion of the 3-S-S have changed :D

And finally... how does the book looks like? If its as cool as mind shadows or the book of fiends, we have a winner :)
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby MacBin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Don't know if this has been covered...but if I take some Oriental Adventure scenarios from say...Dungeon Magazine (I think there's only one that's 3.5 but anyway) will I have a tough time converting to DF?
Toren "MacBin" Atkinson
co-creator Spaceship Zero
Lead singer The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets (as seen on Rock Band)
Illustrator
Voice Actor
MacBin
Super Intelligent Space Monkey
Super Intelligent Space Monkey

Postby discuit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:16 am

tmlee15 wrote:
madmonk wrote:Please, tell us at least something about the new sistem.

All right. First of all, there are no character classes. You're free to build your characters however you want with feats. Instead of Hit Points, you have Chi, which doubles as energy reserve and damage "buffer" before you start suffering serious injuries.

When you take a beatdown from the Big Bad or his minions, you actually gain karma in form of temporary Chi, so you can then use the extra points later in your revenge (i.e., the climatic battle)!

There's also rule mechanic for epiphanies, moments when you realize why your Master put you through all those bizarre "wax on, wax off" exercises... because they are the perfect counter to the villain's deadly kung fu! Not going into details here, but it's a simple but neat concept.

Magic is a combination of traditional spell list and improvisation. A spell is not the same as any others all the time anymore. Want that Heart Ripper to tear through a whole army that's storming the city? You can improvise it to do that!

At least tell us that it ontains a 3-etion staff that doesn't suck.

LOL... Don't know if it doesn't suck, but it has a better crit range than a sword :D

This info just made me very....very excited! :)

Thanks! :D
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby tmlee15 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:17 am

Mad Monk wrote:And finally... how does the book looks like? If its as cool as mind shadows or the book of fiends, we have a winner

If the cover (on Amazon.com) is any indication, it's at least up to the usual high Green Ronin standards.

Oh, and the "Kits" are still kinda there, in terms of being a Red Tiger or member of any other secret society still give you special benefits. :wink:

MacBin wrote:Don't know if this has been covered...but if I take some Oriental Adventure scenarios from say...Dungeon Magazine (I think there's only one that's 3.5 but anyway) will I have a tough time converting to DF?

You can convert most things easy enough given a complete set of ability scores (Str, Dex, etc.) Combat stats will be tougher, because (1) there's no level-dependent BAB progression, (2) armor is damage reduction and does not add to AC (or Defense in this case), (3) creatures aren't measured in Hit Dice but in levels just like characters, (4) DF's greater emphasis on ability scores and Stunt Dice. But it shouldn't be problematic after you've grasped the basics.
Tony Lee

tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Next

Return to Dragon Fist