Multiroling Fix

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Multiroling Fix

Postby The Shadow » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm not sure whether the very steep saves penalty to multirole characters is a bug or a feature. I don't, myself, see any reason to penalize them that way. To name just one example, a Warrior 10 / Adept 10 has a Reflex save lower than that of a Warrior 20 or Adept 20, despite the fact that it's a normal save for both. When one takes on a new role, it takes quite a few levels before one sees it reflected in the saves.

On the other hand, just adding together the saves of the different roles would plainly swing the other way, making multirole characters too attractive.

I think I've just found a happy medium that is logical and workable. Just subtract 2 from the *good* save(s) of the new role. Not from the normal saves.

My rationale is that good saves follow the formula: 2 + lvl / 2, while normal saves follow the formula lvl / 3. If one assumes that the "2" is the benefit of one's first role only, the numbers work out very nicely.

Nowadays a Warrior 10 / Adept 10 has saves of +8/+4/+8, as opposed to +12/+6/+6 or +6/+6/+12 for 20th level characters. With my fix, it becomes:

+10/+6/+8, if Warrior was the first level, or

+8/+6/+10, if Adept was.

Thoughts?
Last edited by The Shadow on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Zapp » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 am

The issue of multiclassed/multiroled characters having excessively high saves is a problem in standard d20. Especially as it rewards "cherrypicking" even more (taking just one or two levels of several prestige classes not only give several benefits as many prestige classes are "top heavy"; but it also grants the character brokenly high saves)

This is most certainly the reasoning behind Mr Kenson's rule. I can see your problem though, and I agree the standard t20 rule is a bit harsh.

I'm using the following less draconic rule in my D&D game. It should work as well in t20 as in d20.

Just change the saves for the first few levels (of all classes/roles) not to ever exceed the level number itself.

Level, Good Save(s), Normal Save(s)
1st, +1, +0
2nd, +2, +0
3rd, +3, +1
4th, +4, +1
5th, +4, +1
etc.

As you can see, the only difference is that the good saves are one step lower for the first and second levels. This makes a huge difference if you start to take a lot of classes.

But it doesn't penalize the dualclassed/dualroled character much at all (once you have progressed past second level in all your roles, there's no difference between my system and the original D&D one).
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Dragonspawn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:46 am

Personally I dislike multi-role/multiclass rules and the cherrypicking they tend to inspire (much moreso in d20 than True20).

To solve this problem I designed four sub-roles that take the place of all multi-role combinations. I posted them in a previous thread on these boards, which can be found here:
http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6349
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Zapp » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:20 pm

There is a cherrypicking problem in True20? With three "classes" in total? :o
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Dragonspawn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Not really a "cherrypicking" problem in True20 per se, though players do try to min/max based on what level they switch to their new class at (you gain almost no benefit from going from a level 4 expert to a level five expert for example).

I just prefer using a single class as opposed to combining two or more classes. This also allows a character to have all the qualities they want to have at first level, as opposed to the qualities of only one of the two or three roles the character hopes to take on eventually.

Multiclassing in true20 is not really a "problem" let alone being "broken"... I just never liket it in any game.
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to True20 Archives