Favored Feats question

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Favored Feats question

Postby The Shadow » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:21 pm

Suppose that you have a ranked feat - let's say Great Toughness - as a favored feat of your background.

You then go on to become an Adept or Expert. Can you take Great Toughness multiple times with Adept/Expert levels? Or only once?
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby timemrick » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:56 pm

The intent is that you get only a limited number of favored feats, so I would say you could only do that once.

The rulebook is unclear whether you have to declare your favored feats at 1st level, even if you don't use them then. If you do have to, then I would say it's legal to choose Great Toughness but then take the feat as a warrior at 1st level, and save that use of the favored feat for a later, non-warrior, level. (This is exactly the sort of convoluted mess that makes me think it's better to postpone declaring favored feats until the level(s) when you need to use them.)
timemrick

Re: Favored Feats question

Postby razorwise » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:36 am

The Shadow wrote:Suppose that you have a ranked feat - let's say Great Toughness - as a favored feat of your background.

You then go on to become an Adept or Expert. Can you take Great Toughness multiple times with Adept/Expert levels? Or only once?

My thinking is that it should be a non-issue as it still absorbs a level advancement so you're giving up another choice to go with the favored feat.

Let's say, you've got an Ogre and have the favored feat of Great Toughness as you used in your example. I think it makes sense that, as he progresses as an Adept or Expert, he may continue to get tougher. What does he give up? More potential spells (powers) and/or other associated feats.

I find the design self-balancing and such selection certainly permissable.

Regards,

Sean

P.S. Tim, as far as Favored Feats go, I don't see where you're having to choose any. According to Blue Rose, however many favored feats a background has, they are always available as long as prerequisites are met. Could you source where you're drawing your conclusion? :)
razorwise
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Shadow » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:28 am

The True20 PDF says explicitly that you can only have two favored feats. Yet some backgrounds list more than two. Viola, you must choose two favored feats! :)

Though it's true that it doesn't say you need to choose which two at 1st level.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby razorwise » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:17 pm

The Shadow wrote:The True20 PDF says explicitly that you can only have two favored feats. Yet some backgrounds list more than two. Viola, you must choose two favored feats! :)

Though it's true that it doesn't say you need to choose which two at 1st level.

Well...I was looking at the original PDF, not the one revised from last year.

Okay, revisiting the True_20_revised, I see only one sample race having more than 2 favored feats and that's the half-orc, while many have bonus feats to choose from. Now, I suppose, you could count gnomes as they choose the two feats or the supernatural power, but it seems pretty clear. With the half-orc it explicitly says choose two. As these are background things, I'd say you'd have to choose them at character creation, as they are background things, y'know, things you'd have a familiarity with growing up, but it's ultimately the Narrator's call. :)

Regards,

Sean

Regards,

Sean
razorwise
Bystander
Bystander

Postby johnrogers » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:06 am

I actually wouldn't mind a wee bit of clarification from Steve on this --- for Favored Feats, should the Narrator always set the two , or when it seems appropriate to have more than two, should the player declare which two he's taking as favored at first level?
johnrogers
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives