Power Feat House Rule

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Power Feat House Rule

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:50 am

I'm trying to find a way to port over BR's Arcanum Feat to True20, as I like allowing non-Adepts reliable access to a limited number of powers. However, I don't really like giving non-Adepts full access to a power just by spending a conviction point. Here's my compromise:

There is a general feat, let's call it "Power Talent," that lets a charcter use a power untrained. Like Wild Talent, characters wouldn't be able to spend conviction to get the power. Unlike Wild Talent, they don't get any ranks for it - they just roll their ability.

Once you have a power talent feat for a particular power, then you can take a "Power Training" feat which gives you Level + 3 ranks in the power. I suppose you could apply this feat to a Wild Talent to make it reliable. Also, I wouldn't have a problem allowing a PC to spend conviction to get Power Training for power they have Power Talent for.

Adepts could use the Power Feat as is to get reliable access to the power *and* get it at Level + 3 ranks.

To list all the various power feats:

Power (Adept only): Get a power at Level + 3 ranks.
Wild Talent (General): Get a power at Level + 3 ranks, but it's unreliable.
Power Talent (General): Get a power at 0 ranks.
Power Training (General): Apply to a Wild Talent or a Power Talent. Get the power at level + 3 ranks.

What say you?
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Power Feat House Rule

Postby reverend keith » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Jonathan Moyer wrote:I'm trying to find a way to port over BR's Arcanum Feat to True20, as I like allowing non-Adepts reliable access to a limited number of powers. However, I don't really like giving non-Adepts full access to a power just by spending a conviction point.

In that case, I'd suggest making a house rule that some feats (like Arcanum or Power) simply can't be gained temporarily via Conviction. That eliminates the need for additional feats or mechanics to work around a problem you can nip in the bud to begin with.
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Power Feat House Rule

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:00 pm

reverend keith wrote:
Jonathan Moyer wrote:I'm trying to find a way to port over BR's Arcanum Feat to True20, as I like allowing non-Adepts reliable access to a limited number of powers. However, I don't really like giving non-Adepts full access to a power just by spending a conviction point.

In that case, I'd suggest making a house rule that some feats (like Arcanum or Power) simply can't be gained temporarily via Conviction. That eliminates the need for additional feats or mechanics to work around a problem you can nip in the bud to begin with.

I have thought of that. However, I'm a little leery of basically giving away the Adept's signature feat. If Adepts are going to be the kewlest of spellcasters, I'd prefer it if they kept the Power Feat to themselves.
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Warbringer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:25 am

In my campaign non-adept heroes gain access to arcanum like this:

Racial Background (Racial Feat - Power, Elemental Resistance)
Pact (Dark Pact - Allows the hero (?) to gain access to any one power. Hero chooses a class level to subsitute for their adept level. In addition, their level now is a mark of the "corruption")
Prestige Class (I have some limited prestige classes that allow a hero access to non-standard class feats. These prestige classes (five levels) dictate the feats a character gains. Heroes cannot vary from this, and cannot leave the class until completed. Prestige classes determine which class adds "adept" level for rank)
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives