What was the verdict on Dragonfist's setting?

Dragon Fist, Chris Pramas' fantasy RPG of high-flyin' martial arts action, is finally going to see print at the hands of Green Ronin. This forum is closed while the game is being re-developed.

What was the verdict on Dragonfist's setting?

Postby skywalker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm

So random setting questions for people to ponder -

Will it remain Tianguo?
Will Jianmen still be on his soul stealing immortality binge?
Will the World of Martial Artists still form the various secret societies previously listed?
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: What was the verdict on Dragonfist's setting?

Postby tmlee15 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:43 pm

skywalker wrote:Will it remain Tianguo?
Will Jianmen still be on his soul stealing immortality binge?
Will the World of Martial Artists still form the various secret societies previously listed?

Yes to all :D
Tony Lee

Designer, WWE: KNOW YOUR ROLE; OGL DRAGON FIST: PHOENIX EDITION; EXTREME VENGEANCE: DIRECTOR'S CUT
Design Crew and Resident Chinese Language Monkey, SERENITY RPG
Line Developer, D20 3.5E SOVEREIGN STONE
tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Waldo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:47 am

Now you've got me curious, has anything significant changed in the setting or is it basically the same as it was in the original version? Has the timeline advanced significantly?
Waldo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby skywalker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:54 am

I love the original setting but I am interested to see how they have widened it especially given the freedom in the OGL/d20 3e system these days.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby tmlee15 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:21 am

Waldo wrote:Now you've got me curious, has anything significant changed in the setting or is it basically the same as it was in the original version? Has the timeline advanced significantly?

The timeline will not advance signficantly (if at all). The setting, for the most parts, remains the same but expanded.
Tony Lee

Designer, WWE: KNOW YOUR ROLE; OGL DRAGON FIST: PHOENIX EDITION; EXTREME VENGEANCE: DIRECTOR'S CUT
tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Are there NEW secret societies?

Postby madmonk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:57 pm

And, does it includes rules to create your own? or at least the system is flexible enough to allow that? the old DF used kits, all very cool by the way... so what dos DF:PhE will use? Prestige classes? and can a non-spellcaster belong to a society of spellcasters? I mean, not all red tigers are fighters... maybe the leader of the red tigers had a daughter with magical powers. What about multiclass? or is it not needed because all character share enough abilities that multiclasses would be unnecessary? Sorry for the flurry of questions, but I have acumulated many in the past couple of years. :P:P:P
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby tmlee15 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Like Skywalker said, the OGL gives us a lot of leeways in manipulating the d20 System, and we're taking full advantage of it! As it is now, the new Dragon Fist is flexible enough to simulate other genre as well with just little tweaks. Playtesters have already suggested modern HK movies and swashbuckling in the vein of Pirates of the Caribbeans. The former would be especially easy, as you can even create your own "Gun Fu" since, yes, DF: PhE has complete rules for creating or adapting martial arts of almost any odd style that you might see in kung fu flicks.

There will be plenty of pleasant surprises in PhE, game mechanics-wise. You'll find a healthy dose of nifty things to simulate the melodrama of wuxia films. And yes, not all Red Tigers have to be fighters, or all White Lotus have to be shamen, etc. The game system leaves a lot of room for creative interpretations.
Tony Lee

tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Postby madmonk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:01 pm

tmlee15, you are the man! (and made my day by the way)
I can't wait...
"Carrying weapons makes you a warrior as much as sticking feathers in your hair makes you an eagle" Hu Sen the Mad Monkey
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby tetsujin28 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:29 am

Nice to hear the original setting is staying. I always liked that DF was a campaign-in-a-box.
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Pramas » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 am

tetsujin28 wrote:Nice to hear the original setting is staying. I always liked that DF was a campaign-in-a-box.

Honestly, I never even considered changing the setting. If we got rid of that, it'd hardly be Dragon Fist. Now folks can easily use the rules to tell other martial arts stories, but Dragon Fist has its own.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby madmonk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:05 am

Can I use my other asian adventrues stuff without too much converios? for example, jade dragons hungry ghosts, or the rokugan monstrous compendium... or the myriad spells there are? How friendly will the system be for integrations of other games stuff?
madmonk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby tmlee15 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:58 am

You'll have to do some conversions, but they should be relatively easy and painless, as the creature stats stay the same for the most part. Converting materials into DF2 would be easier, I think, than the other way around, since there are DF-centric rules for wuxia that will require you to stretch whatever system a bit that you're adapting it to.

Magic spells, I'd say, are probably the most difficult to convert, mainly in terms of game balance because how magic works in DF2. The spells might look weak at first glance, but you're able to improvise them (and in some cases, expected to) for greater effects, with no per-day casting limit. That also means that any spell you port over would need adjustments before you let it into a DF2 game.
Tony Lee

tmlee15
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Fist