Skull and Bones and True 20

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Skull and Bones and True 20

Postby DnDChick » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:16 am

Hey all!

I finally decided what I want my True20 campaign to be -- a pirate-era campaign were low-level, folkloric style magic exists, mainly in the form of ancient curses, voodoo, and the like. In a way, it will be like a Pirates of the Carribean RPG. :yar:

Anyway, to that end, I'd like to pick up Skull and Bones as my "campaign setting book."

I don't have it yet, but i will get it soon. Does anyone here who has both S&B and T20 have any ideas on how to use the two together? How difficult would it be to "convert" S&B concepts to T20?
Last edited by DnDChick on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 pm
Location: Virginia

Drink Up Me Hearties, Yo-Ho!

Postby Spectral Knight » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 pm

DnDChick wrote:Hey all!

I finally decided what I want my True20 campaign to be -- a pirate-era campaign were low-level, folkloric style magic exists, mainly in the form of ancient curses, voodoo, and the like. In a way, it will be like a Pirates of the Carribean RPG. :yar:

Anyway, to that end, I'd like to pick up Skull and Bones as my "campaign setting book."

I don't have it yet, but i will get it soon. Does anyone here who has both S&B and T20 have any ideas on how to use the two together? How difficult would it be to "convert" S&B concepts to T20?


I haven't tried a full-blown conversion (darned busy work schedule), but it seems like most of the class abilities would work just fine as feats and feat trees. Magic... I've never been too good at converting that. Best of luck with it. Ship combat might be a problem. The system for converting and using vehicles just doesn't seem that impressive. Currently working on something else, but it's taking a while.

Skull & Bones is well worth having for the piracy angle and its information on the subject of Voodoun. Another good RPG book on the subject (for the information, anyway) is Avalanche's Black Flags, which is good for filling in the holes that are inevitable in any RPG book. Mostly general information, though, and nothing that a good book on piracy couldn't tell you.
May the Light shine forever!

Half a league, half a league, half a league, onward!
User avatar
Spectral Knight
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:09 pm

Postby papaholdy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:50 am

I started converting the Skull & Bones rules last night. It is not quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. The cool things are, they both have Backgrounds, and a virtue and vice type system.

I am worried about magic. But we will see. The more I go to change true 20 powers, the less I think I need to. I may just strike some powers that don't fit, and then add Voodoo Rituals. But I know more this weekend.

The True 20 campaign planner has been a God send in this process.

I also haven't decided if how or if I will convert the roll the bones rules to a 20 sided. I may just keep the two d6 just to keep that feeling (even if it's not quite True20).

I have a feeling after I put all this effort into it, it will end up as one of the True20 campagin setting in the core book, or the worlds of adventure supplement.
papaholdy
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:49 pm

Postby Tim Gray » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 am

papaholdy wrote:I have a feeling after I put all this effort into it, it will end up as one of the True20 campagin setting in the core book, or the worlds of adventure supplement.

You mean you're guessing someone has done a pirates setting?

(And if they haven't, Adamant could do worse than produce some sort of official conversion.)
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Postby DnDChick » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 pm

Spectral Knight wrote:I haven't tried a full-blown conversion (darned busy work schedule), but it seems like most of the class abilities would work just fine as feats and feat trees. Magic... I've never been too good at converting that. Best of luck with it. Ship combat might be a problem. The system for converting and using vehicles just doesn't seem that impressive. Currently working on something else, but it's taking a while.

Skull & Bones is well worth having for the piracy angle and its information on the subject of Voodoun. Another good RPG book on the subject (for the information, anyway) is Avalanche's Black Flags, which is good for filling in the holes that are inevitable in any RPG book. Mostly general information, though, and nothing that a good book on piracy couldn't tell you.


And ...

papaholdy wrote:I started converting the Skull & Bones rules last night. It is not quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. The cool things are, they both have Backgrounds, and a virtue and vice type system.

I am worried about magic. But we will see. The more I go to change true 20 powers, the less I think I need to. I may just strike some powers that don't fit, and then add Voodoo Rituals. But I know more this weekend.

The True 20 campaign planner has been a God send in this process.

I also haven't decided if how or if I will convert the roll the bones rules to a 20 sided. I may just keep the two d6 just to keep that feeling (even if it's not quite True20).

I have a feeling after I put all this effort into it, it will end up as one of the True20 campagin setting in the core book, or the worlds of adventure supplement.


I don't have the Skull and Bones book yet, but I will be getting it this weekend.

Could I see some of what you guys did?

You can email it to me at countrygrrlhere (at) aol (dot) com.

Thanks!
User avatar
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 pm
Location: Virginia

Skull & Bones Conversion

Postby Spectral Knight » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:38 am

DnDChick wrote:I don't have the Skull and Bones book yet, but I will be getting it this weekend.

Could I see some of what you guys did?

You can email it to me at countrygrrlhere (at) aol (dot) com.

Thanks!


You'll have it as soon as I can assemble it. :) Fair warning, I'll have nothing on ship-to-ship combat, as my work on that isn't anything resembling ready to run.
May the Light shine forever!

Half a league, half a league, half a league, onward!
User avatar
Spectral Knight
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:09 pm

Postby DnDChick » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:42 pm

The rules for ship combat are what interests me most about S&B.

How much modification would they need to work in True20?

(I guess I could just wait unti this weekend when I pick up my copy. lol)
User avatar
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 pm
Location: Virginia


Return to True20 Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests