Diplomacy Skill

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Diplomacy Skill

Postby Nikdo » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:21 pm

Someone posted this link over on the Mutants & Masterminds forum and I thought it would be particularly appropriate for True20.

It's a modified use for the Diplomacy skill by Rich Burlow (of Order of the Stick fame). It's quite good.

http://www.giantitp.com/Func0010.html

--Nikdo
Nikdo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DnDChick » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:01 pm

I like it as well. It actually makes Diplomacy a useful skill. All of his alternate rules make sense and are very easily implemented. I especially like how he made Knowledge skills actually useful for things other than synergy bonuses.
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nomad4life » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Good call! I’ll certainly be adopting these changes.
Nomad4life
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bhikku » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:28 pm

That's really awesome - thanks for the link!

I've been using Monte Cook's Diplomacy variation (the first one in this article, which seems to have a roughly similar philosophy. I haven't compared 'em in depth as yet, but Rich Burlew's method is certainly more robust, and gets more mileage out of the system.
No kitten is going to tell me what to do. I'll fall off this branch to my death if I feel like it!
Bhikku
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:44 pm

I really like this system. It provides a stronger framework for personal interaction mechanics but still leaves enough room to narrate the details. I guess my only critique is that I think the whole advisor-advisee dynamic would be better represented by an Aid Another action, instead of the resistance roll being highest level + highest Wisdom. But the increased functionality more than compensates for this quibble, and it's easy enough for me to fix.
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Return to True20 Archives