Just one attack per round?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Just one attack per round?

Postby Zulgyan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm

Just adquired T20. I was wondering.
Just one attack per round, no matter AB +6?
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DnDChick » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:21 pm

Yup. The only way to get an extra attack is with the Cleave and Great Cleave feats, or to spend a point of Conviction for an extra attack.
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Dragonspawn » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Don't forget the Two Weapon Fighting feat, which gives you two attacks a round if you have a weapon in each hand (but have a penalty to your attack rolls).
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Stareyes » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:42 am

If I remember one of the Blue Rose designers talking about it, he mentioned that a lot of the increasing number of attacks in d20 was to allow fighters to do more damage to deal with increasing number of hit points of foes. Since, in True20, Toughness doesn't increase with level, extra attacks just add more dice rolling (with a bit of an advantage for the attacker, since he only needs to hit once, and it doesn't matter whether it's with his +16 attack or his +1 one).
Stareyes
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Garnfellow » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:07 am

One thing that also wasn't clear to me: do monsters with multiple attacks (say, bite/claw/claw) also have this reduced to a single Attack roll? The conversion doc is a little unclear here, and the only example monster that I know of with multiple attacks (bear) has only a single attack line.
Best,

Garnfellow
__
Adventure Abounds! The Frilond Campaign (http://home.gwi.net/~rdorman/frilond/index.html)
Garnfellow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DnDChick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:16 am

Stareyes wrote:If I remember one of the Blue Rose designers talking about it, he mentioned that a lot of the increasing number of attacks in d20 was to allow fighters to do more damage to deal with increasing number of hit points of foes. Since, in True20, Toughness doesn't increase with level, extra attacks just add more dice rolling (with a bit of an advantage for the attacker, since he only needs to hit once, and it doesn't matter whether it's with his +16 attack or his +1 one).

Yup ... because of the defense bonus in True20, if you miss with your primary attack, your chances of hitting with a -5 or -10 penalized attack are so slim as to be almost pointless unless you are fighting a much weaker foe. All this would do is slow down combat.

And think of it this way ... a higher-level hero will have more Conviction points to spend on extra attacks, and an extra attack bought with a Conviction point has no penalty. It's a lot easier for a higher level hero to get an extra attack in a round if he is really desperate. He certainly can afford it much more easily than a low-level hero can.

Not only that, but the description of iterative attacks, what they are and how they are calculated, are not in the SRD. I have a sneaking suspicion that this, too, is a big factor as to why they aren't in True20.
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Curious About This.

Postby Spectral Knight » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:52 pm

Dragonspawn wrote:Don't forget the Two Weapon Fighting feat, which gives you two attacks a round if you have a weapon in each hand (but have a penalty to your attack rolls).

Would taking Rapid Strike and Two-Weapon Fighting give you three attacks at a -4 penalty to each?
May the Light shine forever!

Half a league, half a league, half a league, onward!
Spectral Knight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Callon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:34 pm

No such thing as Rapid Strike in T20, as far as I've seen, having looked through the feats several times. Lord knows I've overlooked things before, though.
Callon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dragonspawn » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:42 pm

Rapid Strike was a feat in Mutants and Masterminds 1e... it is not in True20, and was removed from the M&M 2nd Edition.

Supposing A Narrator house ruled that feat into the game, then yes I would say you get three attacks all at a -4 to hit (if your off hand weapon is a light weapon) or all at -6 to hit if your off-hand weapon is not a light weapon.

However I do not reccomend allowing both feats in your game.
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to True20 Archives