Does the True 20 magic system have an intrinsic feel?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Does the True 20 magic system have an intrinsic feel?

Postby Pseudonym » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:35 pm

I've recently purchased the True 20 .pdf, and am really excited about the magic system presented. I'm thinking about two projects, one modeling a Middle Earth game based on the rule set and another for some younger folks emulating the world of the Harry Potter books.

I'm curious, though, as to people's opinions about the feel of the magic system. By that I mean, do you think that the system is sufficiently adaptable to those two settings, or does True 20 come with its own inherent assumptions and memes, like the systems of say D&D or Ars Magica? Can it be ported without any baggage inherent in the mechanics?
Pseudonym
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:29 pm

I doubt that it's possible to create a system that has NO intrinsic feel or baggage to it. But it's a fact that some systems have a lot more than others.

True20 seems quite adaptable to me. It's a natural for the Star Wars Force, for example, which one can't say of the D&D magic system.

Basically, True20 slants toward "psychic" type powers. You don't tend to have massive combat magic like in D&D. (Which to me is a plus.) There are a few holes in the system for some desirable settings, but they're pretty easy to plug. (Steve Kenson's "Psychic's Handbook" is invaluable in this regard. I hope some of those powers make it into the True20 hardback.)

Magic in Middle Earth tends to be so subtle and behind the scenes that I'd think it'd work fine with True20. (I'm not sure what ruleset you're referring to, though.) I'm not very familiar with the Harry Potter universe... though from what I know, it should work. You might want to be a bit more forgiving about people using Conviction to gain temporary powers they haven't formally bought.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Tim Gray » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:35 am

The Shadow wrote:Magic in Middle Earth tends to be so subtle and behind the scenes that I'd think it'd work fine with True20.

In my (fantasy) setting submission divine magic had two applications: powers, as usual, and Blessings which allowed you to call down the power of your god in appropriate situations and get or bestow the equivalent of a Conviction point for immediate use. I suspect that some version of narow-use Conviction would be quite appropriate for Middle Earth - probably more so than powers in most cases. (Getting actual powers for a setting that's more LOTR than MERP is pretty much limited to powerful spiritual beings like the Wizards and the older Elves.)
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Warbringer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 am

In my (fantasy) setting submission divine magic had two applications: powers, as usual, and Blessings which allowed you to call down the power of your god in appropriate situations and get or bestow the equivalent of a Conviction point for immediate use.

In my setting I call it prayer :)
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives