Deadshot (a feat for archers)

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Deadshot (a feat for archers)

Postby DnDChick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:29 am

Deadshot (Martial)
Prerequisites: Dexterity +1 or greater, Greater Weapon Focus with a ranged weapon, Improved Precise Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus with a ranged weapon

You are a deadly archer, easily able to hit vulnerable spots on a target's body.

You add your Dexterity as a bonus to damage with ranged weapons. If your opponent is wearing armor, you must succeed at a Finesse Attack to gain this benefit.

You can only use this feat against opponents moving no faster than an all-out move. This feat only works on creatures that are subject to critical hits.
Last edited by DnDChick on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby langeweile » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:33 am

i'd at least require a move, if not a full-round action to aim (maybe also only on slow moving targets).

messing with weapons dmg in true20 is dangerous, and this is also what weapon specs are for. btw... i'd make it martial, too - it's for sure no run-of-the-mill thing...
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby DnDChick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:57 am

You're right. This defnintely needs to be a martial feat, perhaps even with higher prerequisites.

(Goes back to mulling and thinking, and mulling some more ... )
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby wulf » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:27 am

I created a similar Feat for Stargate D20, prompted by comments that snipers in d20 so rarely could ever actually one-shot-kill (even in AEG's Stargate).

Sniper (M)
When an Aim action is used with a firearm firing a single shot against an unaware target beyond the first range bracket, the normal modifier for Aim is doubled to +4, and the firer can make a Finesse attack.

It's got a rerequisite, I can't remember the correct Feat name, it's the one that allows firing accurately into melee.

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Dragonspawn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:01 am

I can't remember the correct Feat name, it's the one that allows firing accurately into melee.

That would be "precise shot"
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby wulf » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:36 am

Dragonspawn wrote:
I can't remember the correct Feat name, it's the one that allows firing accurately into melee.

That would be "precise shot"

Ah, yes, thanks. Prior to True20, when forced, I would read and play d20, then attempt to excise it from my memory as quickly and thoroughly as possible, so I haven't memorised much of the inhereted naming yet. :)

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby langeweile » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 am

one shot kills are _not_ there for a good reason.
1) that's whats the dmg system for. and in true20 is even very likely that you make it with a one shot if you got good enough dmg.
2) always remeber: what pcs can do, npc could do since a centuary. and while a dead npc will be replaced - how do you replace your pc ?

if you want such a feeling, then do something like the following:

weak spot shot (martial)
pre-reqs: weapon focus with the ranged weapon, improved precise shot, finishing blow
if you take 3 rounds to aim at a slow moving target (no faster than a normal move), the target has to succed in a fortitude save with difficulty (15 + 1/2 your warrior level) or fall unconcious for (1/2 your warrior level) minutes.
this attack must be a finesse attack.
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby wulf » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:42 am

langeweile wrote:one shot kills are _not_ there for a good reason.
1) that's whats the dmg system for. and in true20 is even very likely that you make it with a one shot if you got good enough dmg.

Damage doesn't vary much in True20, unless you add in feats to improve it mightily. All my feat adds is the ability to hit well and Finesse Attack at range. There isn't even a call location shot ability. And what's the point of playing a sniper who needs more than one shot to kill? Sounds like a pretty pathetic sniper to me...
2) always remeber: what pcs can do, npc could do since a centuary. and while a dead npc will be replaced - how do you replace your pc ?

Always remember, NPCs only do what the GM tells them to do.

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Warbringer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:09 pm

Don't forget in True20 any shot that damages a mook is a sniper shot.

As a feat for villains, I don't think players would like to be on the receiving end, conviction or not. Likewise, villians will be convictioning their way out it...

FYI: Yeah, conviction is now a verb :)
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby wulf » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:07 am

Warbringer wrote:As a feat for villains, I don't think players would like to be on the receiving end, conviction or not. Likewise, villians will be convictioning their way out it...

This never ceases to confuse me. A GM doesn't HAVE to kill off PCs just because the rules say it's possible. GMs who do so are exactly the same as players who wreck a game just because "It's what my character would have done!"

Likewise, yes, a villan will be using conviction, but only when and if it's dramatically appropriate.

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby langeweile » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:34 am

what the hell a world do play / live in ? pp&p ?!

eg: modern setting (it's easier). heavy machine guns are a deadly but effektive weapon. so because it's deadly, no npc is allowed to carry it ?!
few npc will, actually, do, because it's expensive and hard to handle - but there will be some every now and then. so what ?!

if you want a sniper, beef up your to hit and dmg ratio - thats what the attack system and the dmg system are for.
if you hit 90% and 70% are deadly, then you are a sniper - thats it.
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Snipers

Postby Spectral Knight » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:22 am

langeweile wrote:if you want a sniper, beef up your to hit and dmg ratio - thats what the attack system and the dmg system are for.
if you hit 90% and 70% are deadly, then you are a sniper - thats it.

Nope. The problem is that there's no way to enhance a weapon's deadliness on the basis of skill alone, and the Weapon Specialization feat just won't cover it sufficiently. Damage for a rifle remains the same whether it's Tennessee Buck or Private Alvarez from Clear and Present Danger doing the shooting. But there are abilities that can make the difference between "one shot, one kill" and just wasting ammunition. Here's a sample of such abilities from my conversion of Skull & Bones, from a conversion of the Buccaneer's class abilities:

Hunter’s Patience
You can use a long gun like an extension of your own arm.
Requirements: +6 BAB, Survivor of the Caribbean feat.
Benefits: For each round that you spend doing nothing but aiming, you gain a +1 Circumstance Bonus to your attack roll when you finally fire your shot, up to a maximum of ½ of your BAB. If there are any distractions during this aiming period, a Concentration check (DC 10 + rounds spent aiming + any damage inflicted) must be made to maintain your aim. Failure means losing any bonus accumulated thus far, though you can start over the next round. You must be using a rifle or long musket to attempt the use of this feat.

Hunter’s Marksmanship
With a little time to aim, you can kill from long range.
Requirements: +12 BAB, Hunter’s Patience feat.
Benefits: When using the Hunter’s Patience feat, you gain a +2 bonus to damage so long as you spend at least three rounds aiming.

Remember, a sniper doesn't just brace his rifle and pop someone in the blink of an eye. There's the matter of concealing yourself so you can take the time to aim those oh-so-deadly shots, choosing targets, aiming, and the kill. All of this takes time. A good eye alone doesn't make a sniper. Time, training, practice, and experience at the craft makes a sniper, and feats can represent this focus as well, and often better, than BAB and damage ratings alone.

DnDChick's feat could be used with a rifle as well, with a little tweaking, to represent a more modern sniper.
May the Light shine forever!

Half a league, half a league, half a league, onward!
Spectral Knight
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives