Powers (Shapeshift, Teleport, Curse...and Fertility)

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Powers (Shapeshift, Teleport, Curse...and Fertility)

Postby aaronil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:17 pm

I worked up 4 new powers as part of the Arabian True20 setting I'm creating. What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fertility
Fatiguing
Fertility allows you to manipulate and detect pregnancy and birth, as well as sterility and bareness. Make a Fertility check with the Difficulty determined by the task.

Sight of the Goddess: You automatically can tell if an unenchanted person or place is fertile, pregnant, or sterile; this is not fatiguing and requires no check. If the target is enchanted, make a Fertility check with a Difficulty equal to the check of the power used to enchant the person or place’s fertility. If you succeed, you determine the nature of the power affecting the subject, and if you succeed by 5 or more you know who or what is responsible for the enchantment.

Hands of the Goddess: You can make changes in the fundamental fertility of a target, whether it is in an embryo or the soil. The Difficulty is based on the extent of the change you wish to make.

DC.....Alteration
10......Avoid birth complications or induce labor. Improve target’s sexual prowess, or increase probability to conceive or bear fruit (by 20%). Requires 1 full round.
15......Provide strength to an unborn seedling or baby, preventing it from injury or death within the womb/embryo. The land or mother requires more nutrients or it will suffer. Requires 1 minute.
20......Make fallow ground able to produce life, make a barren woman or man able to conceive children. Alternately, make a fertile target unable to bear fruits/children. In either case you may set a specific condition which, if met, bypasses your enchantment temporarily or permanently (you decide). Requires 10 minutes.
25......Control the outcome of a birth, determining the child’s gender, whether they’re will be twins, when during the day a child is born, hide the child’s true heritage, or give the child features reminiscent of a different ethnicity from its parents. Requires 1 hour.
30......Store a seed (whether from a plant or a man’s sperm) in a natural receptacle, such as a lake or leather pouch, indefinitely. You may set a specific condition which, if met, causes the natural receptacle to plant its seed or impregnate a woman, respectively. Requires 6 hours.
40......Allow two incompatible beings to have offspring (e.g. fey and mortal). Ensure that child of two designated parents fulfills a prophecy set forth by someone with the Visions power. Requires 10 hours.

Shapeshift
Fatiguing, Maintenance
You can assume the form of any natural animal you have seen. If you fail the check, regardless of your current form, you cannot make the change, though you may retry next round (albeit +1 DC). Should you be knocked unconscious or killed, you revert to your true form. Though you adopt the physical abilities, traits, and mode of movement of the animal form, you retain your feats, skills, and mental abilities (Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma). Your clothing and equipment are absorbed into your new form. In your new form, you lose the ability to use your other powers (though you still can shapeshift), unless you increase the DC.

New Shape (DC)
Same-sized animal (10) (e.g. wolf)
One size category difference (+5) (e.g. horse, dog)
Two size categories difference (+15) (e.g. hawk, elephant)
Three size categories difference (+30) (e.g. bat, whale)
Four size categories difference (+50) (e.g. mouse)
Special form of movement (+2) (e.g. burrow, climb, swim)
Per special sense (+2) (e.g. low-light vision, scent)
Retain ability to speak (+5)
Retian ability to use arcana besides shapeshift (+10)
Reverting to your true form (-10)
Casting upon another (+5)

Shapeshifting Mishaps
Fail by.....Result
1-5.....No result, but other animals react to you as if you were the animal you attempted to change into. For example, if it was a swan predators may attack you; while if it was a bear, your horse won't let you ride it.
6-10.....You are trapped in animal form for a day (whether its your current form or the new form you’re attempting to assume). In addition, as the day progresses, you become more and more animal. Every 2 hours you lose -1 Intelligence. When you go to sleep, you wake up in your human form.
11+.....You are trapped in animal form, completely adopting the animal’s statistics, losing all your old feats and skills. You are stuck with an animal’s intelligence, and are unable to use your powers. You do not revert to your human form even if knocked unconscious or killed. You must be saved by another or perform an epic quest to regain your humanity.

Time: Shapeshift is a standard action.

Teleport
Fatiguing
You are able to move yourself and others great distances rapidly. If a target is unwilling, they may make a Will save against your power save Difficulty. You are able to act normally upon arrival, but anyone teleported by you must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be stunned for a round. All Teleport checks rely on the familiarity the adept has with both the person and the location (thus two familiarity modifiers apply).

Modifier (DC)
You teleport the target without going with them (+2)
Per person (beside yourself) (+1)
Moving an army of hundreds (+20)
Moving an entire city (+40)

Distance Teleported (DC)
Within your line of sight (even if you can't see it right now) (10)
Less than 1 mile (15)
Less than 10 miles (20)
Less than 100 miles (25)
Less than 1,000 miles (30)
Anywhere on earth (35)

Teleportation Mishaps
Fail by.......Result
1-5..............No result other than becoming prone or stunned, or some harmless side effect.
6-10............You (or your target) teleport to the wrong location and you are unable to teleport until you find out where you are in relation to where you came from or where you were attempting to arrive, get permission from a local sorcerer, or perform some minor quest.
11+............A teleportation disaster occurs. If you are teleporting with a group your psyches may switch bodies. Perhaps you materialize entombed in a material object. Alternately, you could appear high above the earth or underneath the ocean. Perhaps you accidentally teleported the location to you!

Time: Teleport is a standard action.

Curse
Fatiguing
You have the power to curse with a word or even at a glance. You make a power check against a DC according to your victim’s guilt and the appropriateness of the curse. The magic of cursing relies upon using other powers you know to fuel the curse. For example, you might cause your target to become blind, deaf, infertile, turn them into an animal, or inflict any number of misfortunes upon them. Every curse must include at least one way in which it may be broken; this must be within the victim’s power, though the adept need not inform their victim. An adept with the ability to curse must be very careful in using their power lest they be labeled a “witch.”

Time: Standard action.

DC.....Victim’s Guilt
10.....Deserving of the curse and curse is tailored to their crimes
20.....Curse is disproportionate to the victim’s sins or not tailored to their crimes
35.....Undeserving of the curse and overall a person with few sins
+5.....The victim is particularly pious, holy, or devoted
-5.....The victim is superstitious, a criminal, or has been cursed by you before

Risks of Laying Curses
Fail by.......Result
1-5..............A slight headache, one of your eyes bulges slightly, you are nauseated for a round, or a feeling of dread overcomes you.
6-10............Your victim is immediately aware someone tried to curse them or something isn't right, you fall ill for a day, you lose the power to Curse for a day, you must atone to the gods by prayer.
11+.............Your curse backfires on you or another suitable curse falls upon you for your presumption, your image grows hideous and hag-like, you become paranoid and insular, your victim and/or others around you immediately realized you attempted to curse them, a lycnh mob forms, you lose the power to Curse until restitution is made.

Sample Curses:
Bad Business – The victim falls into a state of financial ruin, ranging from total poverty to failure in a critical business venture. It can affect a small shop or even a large factory, but never a vast trading empire.
Beast Form – The victim turns into an animal, though they retain their human intelligence. Each day in animal form they must make a DC 20 Will save or lose one point of Intelligence. If they reach -4 Intelligence, they victim is completely indistinguishable from a normal animal.
Eat No More – Used against gluttons and greedy thieves, this curse causes anything the victim eats to provide no sustenance. Either they seem to have an impossibly high metabolism or food turns to ash when it touches their lips.
Evil Eye – The victim suffers a terrible streak of bad luck, suffering -4 on all attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks. Others avoid the victim when they can.
Get Out of Town – Used to drive people out of town, this curse often involves tracing the route you wish to have the victim take during the cursing. You can determine how much pain and suffering will be involved in the curse, ranging from the minimum possible to destroying their reputation and family life.
Hush – Useful when you need someone to shut up, this curse causes the victim to stutter uncontrollably, fail to remember events clearly, even to have seizures. When attempting to speak about the topic, the victim suffers amnesia, confuses facts, and convulses.
Illness – An old staple, this curse causes the victim to fall ill and may be used in an attempt to kill them. The illness may either be minor (cough), severe (fever) or terminal (plague). Anyone using Cure Disease must beat you in an opposed Curse power check.
Troubled Sleep – The victim is prevented from getting to sleep through unlucky circumstances, and even when he does get to sleep (DC 20 Will save), he has nightmares and tosses in fits.
Last edited by aaronil on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby langeweile » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:04 pm

shapeshift: seems to be laid a bit too flat to me.
also dcs are not that high - gargantum dc 25, collosal dc 30.
i'd be careful with shapechanging - in dnd its one of the very most broken and game braking spells.
i don't have a good idea, but some feeling as quite experienced narrator tells me, that the current version is going to bring you into trouble.

teleport: that is ok so far, ecspecially with the mishaps.
i'd make familar / used to / short studied / totaly unknown places with -5 / 0 / +5 / +10 dc. scrying would make the place into the 2nd or 3rd catergory.
think about take10/20 on this, think about "anti teleport" protections (if not, any assassin would have be very likely to be successful), think about possibly special ways to avoid misshaps by, for example, extending the power to 10 minutes casting with some precautions and stuff.

astrology: cool one.
though "affect personality" and "find new path" seem a bit too strong to me.
to me, don't try to mix skills with magic - skills, without very special reasons, should stay totally mundane - magic we have powers for.
also, be careful not to take too much away from all the scrying/vision/... powers with the skill.
btw: astrology - what ability ? wis => divination, affect others => cha, deduct things => int, so i would not really know which to take...

nice work
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby aaronil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:12 am

Thanks! Really good advice about the teleport power; I'll have to think about it.

Regarding shapeshift...what bases need to be covered that I've missed?

Should it require maintenance?

I realize that it seems overly simple, but here are my thoughts. It can only be used to simulate a natural animal. It CANNOT be used to simulate another person, a dragon, or any other supernatural being. Thus, no supernatural abilities are granted. Also, since it is restricted to animals, there's no concern of players abusing the d20 concept of creature "type".

You make a good point about needing to increase the DC. I'm thinking something like 5 for one size category distance, 15 for two sizes, 30 for three, and 50 for four.

Oh! What about including a Shapeshift mishaps table? This is sort of a Wizard of Earthsea-esque approach.

Shapeshifting Mishaps
Fail by.....Result
1-5.....No result, but you can’t assume the attempted form again for a day.
6-10.....You are trapped in animal form for a day (whether its your current form or the new form you’re attempting to assume). In addition, as the day progresses, you become more and more animal. Every 2 hours you lose -1 Intelligence. When you go to sleep, you wake up in your human form.
11+.....You are trapped in animal form, completely adopting the animal’s statistics, losing all your old feats and skills. You are stuck with an animal’s intelligence, and are unable to use your powers. You do not revert to your human form even if knocked unconscious or killed. You must be saved by another or perform an epic quest to regain your humanity.
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Well done!

Postby khuxan » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:30 am

I think the arcana are excellent, but possibly the best part of your post is your title! I'm only half-joking - it's plain, informative and easy to remember :). No "I MADE SUMTHIN. FEEDBAK PLEEZ. IT ROX, BTW" :P

About the arcana themselves, I think they're good. Maintenance is a good idea for Shapeshift.

Does Shapeshift stop you from using arcana because you're in animal form? Also, although it's pretty obvious you might want to write "Though you adopt the physical abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution)" as you have for mental abilities. I like the Shapeshifting Mishaps - if you had these you wouldn't need fatigue so much would you (since there's an even bigger risk if you overuse this arcana)?

Finally, I'm a little concerned about how low Teleport's starting DCs are. Isn't the ability to jump around anywhere in sight a little potent for 1st level characters?

EDIT: Just learnt that what I wrote is wrong:
"Things might have changed for True20, but in BR don't you need a feat to grant access to arcana (in which case, which is it for these)?"
---
Sorry if I make mistakes - I only got Blue Rose on the 19th

Check out the Genesis Project

[url=giantitp.com]Nautili, City of Shells[/url]
khuxan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby langeweile » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:41 am

misshap is one way to limit those things - if it is the desired, is another thing, as it makes those stuff highly risiky, if you want to do "great" stuff.
though i like it and if you don't go completly nuts, a point of conviction can safe the worst.

maintanance on concentration (not total concentration) could be one way - though i don't think it hinders much.
you shift for fighting, flying, ... i ecspecially wouldn't allow arcana to be cast shifted, or maybe only if you took a +10 on the check.

pesonally, i would setup the dc other ways, like 10 + 2*level-of-animal.
+5 for each size larger, +10 for each size smaller (small animals have low lvls, large have already higher levels)
+2 or +5 for some special feature like flying, burrowing, swimming, ...
+2 or +5 for each special sense of the animal
+5 for speaking
+10 for animal's speak
+10 for casting arcana (could include speaking)
+5 for casting it on someone else

you could then even allow some extraordanry or supernatural stuff for a good +dc and also spending a point of conviction.

but always remember: shapechange is the best way, to allow a caster to become a jack-of-all trades: party scout, frontline warrior, etc etc
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby langeweile » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:47 am

oh erm, now i see my first error - you ment astrology to be a power and not a skill (was to early in the morning ;-))

hrm - that could be ok, though i find it a little weak as power and would also rather think of it as a trained-only skill (with the things i posted above)...
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Well done!

Postby aaronil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:21 am

khuxan wrote: Does Shapeshift stop you from using arcana because you're in animal form? Also, although it's pretty obvious you might want to write "Though you adopt the physical abilities (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution)" as you have for mental abilities. I like the Shapeshifting Mishaps - if you had these you wouldn't need fatigue so much would you (since there's an even bigger risk if you overuse this arcana)?

Good points, thanks khuxan! Do you think the mishaps, fatigue, and maintenance are too restricting for shapeshifting?

khuxan wrote:Finally, I'm a little concerned about how low Teleport's starting DCs are. Isn't the ability to jump around anywhere in sight a little potent for 1st level characters?

Hmm. Right now a 1st level adept (Assuming a +3 in main ability score, so that's a net power rank of +7) who tries to teleport anywhere within their line of sight (DC 10) only needs to roll a 3 or better; thus, a mishap is impossible. Though they might be fatigued.

I'll make some changes to the modifiers:
You aren't able to see the location but you have seen it before +5
Totally new/unknown location +10

Now, the same 1st level adept who tries to teleport up to 1 mile away to a place they've seen but can't see right now (15+5=20 DC), must roll a 13 or better; a mishap is possible.

Are the DCs really too low? Why? Should I increase the base DCs and/or change the modifiers?

Khuxan wrote:EDIT: Just learnt that what I wrote is wrong:
"Things might have changed for True20, but in BR don't you need a feat to grant access to arcana (in which case, which is it for these)?"

These are True20 powers; no feat required.

langeweile wrote: (About shapeshift) if you don't go completly nuts, a point of conviction can safe the worst. ....you could then even allow some extraordanry or supernatural stuff for a good +dc and also spending a point of conviction.

Really good idea! This could be an optional way to allow shapechanging into fire-breathing dragons, though it'll take careful crafting to not be abuseable.

langeweile wrote:you shift for fighting, flying, ... i ecspecially wouldn't allow arcana to be cast shifted, or maybe only if you took a +10 on the check.

I see what you're saying. Since shapeshifting has the potential to steal other people's thunder, you should be penalized using it to rapidly change forms. If you read the section on "Powers" it says you get a +1 DC for each fatiguing arcana you use within an hour. Thus if I tried to shapeshift 5 times in a combat, I would get a +5 DC. That seems fair. Are you saying a greater DC increase is necessary? Also, the Arabian Nights genre I'm going for allows for rapid shifting through various forms, and actually is part of a sorcerer's duel.

langeweile wrote:pesonally, i would setup the dc other ways, like 10 + 2*level-of-animal. +5 for each size larger, +10 for each size smaller (small animals have low lvls, large have already higher levels)
+2 or +5 for some special feature like flying, burrowing, swimming, ...
+2 or +5 for each special sense of the animal
+5 for speaking
+10 for animal's speak
+10 for casting arcana (could include speaking)
+5 for casting it on someone else

Langeweile, I like how you've done this. Thanks! :) I'll definitely incorporate your ideas into the modifiers. BUt one question; what is an animal's "level"? I found no reference to this in True20, so I'm confused what you mean.

langeweile wrote:astrology: cool one.
though "affect personality" and "find new path" seem a bit too strong to me, don't try to mix skills with magic - skills, without very special reasons, should stay totally mundane - magic we have powers for.

This is why astrology is a power, not a skill. Divination about the weather, human nature, favorable circumstances, and how to reach a location are all possible in the real world, though we might call them "psychology",
"forecasting", or "navigation" in the modern world. There is precedent for powers which mimic real life capabilities, such as Body Control, so I feel comfortable that Astrology is fine as a power.

langeweile wrote:also, be careful not to take too much away from all the scrying/vision powers

Good point. Hmm. Scrying allows you to view distant events as if you were present; nothing about Astrology comes close to this, except maybe "find the way" which doesn't allow you to see the location, only to find a route to get there. (Though this does impinge upon the Survival skill I suppose)
Visions allows you to see the future. The important differences between Visions and Astrology are:
1) With Astrology you cannot learn how long before a particular event occurs, you cannot determine the people involved in a particular future event, you cannot learn of the time/location of the future event, nor is there any way for you to gain near-complete knowledge of the future event.
2) The overlap has to do with "questions about human nature or natural phenomenon" which can be answered with Astrology. And I am also really concerned there is some overlap, I just don't know how to address it yet. :-? Any ideas?

langeweile wrote:btw: astrology - what ability ? wis => divination, affect others => cha, deduct things => int, so i would not really know which to take...

Like all powers, what ability you use is up to the adept.
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby langeweile » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 am

i'll leave all the quoting.

on teleport
los with max like 500 meters, it would be ok for a 1st lvl adept to teleport around - the power should have some use.
still remember: standart action, fatigue, high chance of being stunned there.

on shapeshift
i was more concerened on things like a fireball throwing eagle when talking about arcana in animal form.
you could change shifting from "as long as you like" to something like 10-30 minutes. if you would like to keep the form, no new arcana check but a new fatigue check. if you want to change your form within this time - new arcana check, no fatigue check. one way to promote more shifting if the setting seems for it - but as said, be careful.
more stuff with conviction - no problem. as far as "stunts via conviction" go, you have a full case-by-case ruling as narrator :-)
in blue rose, animals have levels - like anything else. house animals like 1st, horse 2nd or 3rd, bear 4th to 6th and so on. i had it in mind from there - true20 has left that - that makes that idea a little difficult. hrm... then just something like flat 10 zero / 15 one / 25 two / 40 three size categories away would do, with the rest of modifiers still in place.

on astrology
i find visions more than fitting. i would rather expand that power a little at some points (i see no reason that, in such an open system, things should be that fixed) and put the rest into an astrology skill.
so even mundane people could learn some stuff about persons / actual humankind / ..., while some strange stunts like finding a lost city and stuff already seem to me to be a perfect application of vision. if it is to much for the one power - conviction to get more this one time ;-)
leave the "affect" newborn out - to me, this is not quite like astrology to be. or make into another power like heart shaping (expanded to soul shaping at higher dcs) or mindshaping or so.
[btw: the first post was a little screwy because i had seen it as skill.]

redargs
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby SuentisPo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:10 am

I liked the astronomy power, although it did seem to impinge on Vision slightly.

RE: shapeshifting duels: you might want to add an additional Supernatural Feat: Shapeshifting Duelist. I'm not sure of the actual game effects but you might say that the repeated shifts do not increase in DC, but at the end, you are fatigued or maybe even exhausted.

I have some options for Teleport- but I won't hijack your thread.
"Ahhhh. The cries of anguish from my players almost warm the cold black cinder I have in place of a heart."- Me
SuentisPo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mrfusion » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:35 am

Wish I had it on me today, but you could probably crib Teleport and Shapeshift straight from Steve Kenson's Psychic's Handbook. If I recall, he based the DC of Teleports on the Familiarity Table (also in True20)... and Mass (which is not in True20).
...aka 'Fearless Leader'
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby aaronil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:08 am

Mrfusion, thanks for pointing out the Familiarity tables! I totally forgot about that! It will help in all of the new powers, thanks! :)

Suentis, shapeshifting duelist feat idea is great, maybe something like...

Shapeshifting Duelist
You are able to shift through many forms in battle
Prerequisite: Shapeshift power
Benefit: When using your Shapeshift power, you do not suffer the normal +1 increase in Difficulty for successive uses within one hour. In addition, when facing another with the ability to shapeshift, you may initiate a "shifter's duel" on a successful Intimidate check. During a shifter's duel, each form may only be used once by anyone involved; therefore if you turn into a goldfish you may not return to goldfish form nor may your opponent become a goldfish (though they can become a pike!). In addition, you can force your opponent to change forms. This is done by changing into a new form yourself, and winning an opposed Shapeshift check. For example, you might turn into a rabbit and dart into a hole yelling "You can't catch me!" Your opponent, who was a rhinoceros, fails the opposed check, and must change form to follow you, perhaps becoming a weasel.

EDIT: I also revised the first post to account for changes.
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby skywalker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Knowledge (astronomy) should IMO be broader such as Knowledge (science) and then use the Visions Power to cover using the stars to read the future.
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby SuentisPo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:05 pm

mrfusion wrote:Wish I had it on me today, but you could probably crib Teleport and Shapeshift straight from Steve Kenson's Psychic's Handbook. If I recall, he based the DC of Teleports on the Familiarity Table (also in True20)... and Mass (which is not in True20).

Just checked my copy (didn't realize I had brought it into work)- couldn't find Shapeshift.

Teleport was based on familiarity (in sight +0, +5 for every level down) and Mass (+0 for <10 lbs, +5 <100 Lbs, +5 for every 10x increase).
"Ahhhh. The cries of anguish from my players almost warm the cold black cinder I have in place of a heart."- Me
SuentisPo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby aaronil » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:44 pm

Balancing Teleport
I wanted to test my write-up of Teleport to see if it was balanced at level 1, level 5, and level 15. What I learned was that it seems pretty good. :) Here are my notes from the adventures of Amirys.

Teleporting at 1st level (Rank 7)
Amirys found her group overwhelmed by raiders at the Khygon pass. Being taken captive was imminent, and from the scalps hanging from the belts of the raiders, she doubted getting captured meant a spot of tea with the Khan. Calling upon the goddes, Amirys reached across space and time, wrenching her 3 companions along with her. If she succeeded, they would appear in the citadel of Nthys-Ira a mile away. If she failed...

It turns out that the DC is 23 for teleporting 3 present passengers and herself to a very familiar location (Nyths-Ira is the military head of Amirys' faith and she spent a year there in training) within a mile. Thus, subtract 7 (her power rank) from this and I get 16. Basically, she's got an equal chance of performing the teleport successfully, failing to no effect, ending up in the wrong place, or failing in a horrendously fantastic way. In addition, she's got about a 50-50 chance of becoming fatigued. A risky proposition to be sure, but far beyond the power of any 1st level D&D character.

Teleporting at 5th level (Rank 11)
Amirys and her companions were in accord: The power of Hamar Kur's horde was becoming an engine of death beyond his control. In particular, his consort sorceress advisor Isseita. After gazing into the all-seeing orb of Nyths-Ira, they were able to scry upon Isseita's encampment. It was decided that Amirys would teleport with Roach the knife-fighter; he would help subdue Isseita so that Amirys could touch her. Amirys dared not take along more of her companions; she knew she was stretching the limits of her magic as it was, not to mention the ethical code of the Goddess. With Roach nearby, Amirys opened the window in her mind, folding the universe upon itself. There was no duality, only union...

While gazing into the orb, Amirys treats the encampment as very familiar (+5 DC). She's traveling less than 100 miles. (+25 DC) And she's got Roach with her (+1 DC). The net DC for her check is 31, and subtracting 11 from that I get 20 as the minimum for her success. Amirys knows she's pushing it and is willing to spend Conviction to make this work. However, she has an almost 50% chance of a teleportation disaster if she rolls bad. She certainly doesn't want her psyche melded with Roach's! Even if she avoids disaster, she's almost got an equal 20-20 chance of either the spell flat out failing or ending up in the wrong place (possibly in enemy territory). This could be suicidal! Then again, no D&D character could possibly attempt it.

Teleporting at 15th Level (Rank 22)
Amirys has appeared before Isseita, the treacherous servitor, only minutes after her companions took Hamar Kur in chains. The rest of the battle was routing the forces and demanding surrender. Tides were changing, but Isseita only snarled at Amirys, "Damn your Goddess! I never have been in chains!" Recalling that Isseita had a weakness to fire, but herself lacking in the ability to shape fire, Amirys resolved to attempt the most dangerous teleport she had ever attempted. She would take them both to the World Flame. Amirys knew that Isseita, thrice-enchanted, her mind filled with unknown arcana, would beat her in a square fight. "No! You wouldn't!" Gasped Iseeita as space folded around them, all becoming fire. "Yes, I would." And then Amirys attempted the impossible...

Assuming, Amirys makes her touch attack or finds a way around it... She is somewhat familiar with the World Flame (+15 DC) where she prayed for two weeks while nursing her wounds. It is half-way across the world, however (+35 DC). And taking Iseetia with her (+1 DC). Normally, this task would be wholly beyond Amyris, save for the Amulet of Kath Kara'din which grants her a one-time bonus of +10 to any power.
Thus, she needs to acheive a DC of 19 to succeed. As above, her chances for success are slim, but she is willing to burn Conviction to defeat her nemesis. Ironically, had she attempted the same manuever that was so risky for her at 1st-level, she would automatically succeed now.
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby langeweile » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:47 pm

i really like this stuff - and i think i will put it into my blue rose group (at least depending on what the companion has or has not).
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby aaronil » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:16 pm

Awesome! Post any playtest notes please.

Also, I added a Curse power. Check it out!
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby aaronil » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 pm

Just added a Fertility power and would like to know what you think of it. Cheers!
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Grim Luck » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:16 pm

Curse MAY be overpowered. But then again, it may work perfectly depending on the narrator.

In campaigns with active 'higher and lower powers' I'd throw in a tidbit about 'if you overuse this, you run the risk of bringing yourself into judgement' or somesuch.
"All the world is fascinated by monkeys."
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby scutisorex shrewlord » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:03 am

I really like Curse. I am making an ancient-themed homebrew, and this was a power I was going to have to convert. I'm very pleased you've already done it. :D Good job.
scutisorex shrewlord
Bystander
Bystander

Postby aaronil » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks. Have fun with it!
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby DnDChick » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:18 pm

I like these ... I believe I shall yoink them for my homebrew world. :)
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives