How have you been getting your wuxia fix?

Dragon Fist, Chris Pramas' fantasy RPG of high-flyin' martial arts action, is finally going to see print at the hands of Green Ronin. This forum is closed while the game is being re-developed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

How have you been getting your wuxia fix?

Postby Jason_Sunday » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:18 pm

I have been playing a great game called Jade Empire for Xbox. I also have been awaiting House of Flying Daggers. Anyone seen that movie?
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Lord Gwydion » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:16 am

House of Flying Daggers is good. Not quite as good as Hero, but still worth watching.

As for gaming, I'm not playing anything wuxia related at the moment.
$240 worth of puddin'. Aww Yeah!
Lord Gwydion
Bystander
Bystander

Postby REG » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:22 am

I am currently pestering BioWare (maker of SW:KOTOR series for consoles and PC) to make PC version of Jade Empire. 8)
Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

A Generation Kikaida Fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer
REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Jason_Sunday » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:33 pm

I just finished Jade Emprire and now I wish they would make a Paper and Pen version. And still no word on Dragon Fist. With all of this Kung Fu goodness, it seems like they would take the oportunity to generate interest.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Pagan priest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:24 am

Good things come to those who wait.

Acquire in haste, repent in leisure.

Rome wasn't sacked in a day.

I'm sure there are other bits of fortune cookie wisdom that I am missing, but you get the idea...

I'd rather have it done right than have it done right now. Of course, even better would be to have it done right, right now. :lol:
Peace through victory!

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin
Pagan priest
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Jason_Sunday » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:33 pm

But atleast they could give us an update. :green:
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby REG » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:37 pm

Nah. The only announcement I want to hear is "Dragon Fist is now on sale."

No release date.

No progress report.

You only piss customers off by announcing a release date (to which they would hold your words against you) and then for some reasons beyond your control, you have to reschedule. These "control freak" customers believe that there is no excuse and that you should use your god-like powers to meet the deadline.

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Jason_Sunday » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:43 pm

I don't mean release date info. I mean like a web site, alittle info on what system they will use, alittle history, some sort of info on what is happening with the line.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby REG » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:13 am

Jason_Sunday wrote:I don't mean release date info. I mean like a web site, alittle info on what system they will use, alittle history, some sort of info on what is happening with the line.

They can release the information AFTER they sent the final edited layouts to the printers for the First Printing batch.

After.

If you want to get involved in the process before that, ask if they have openings for beta playtesters.

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Nikchick » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:52 am

REG wrote:Nah. The only announcement I want to hear is "Dragon Fist is now on sale."

No release date.

No progress report.

You only piss customers off by announcing a release date (to which they would hold your words against you) and then for some reasons beyond your control, you have to reschedule. These "control freak" customers believe that there is no excuse and that you should use your god-like powers to meet the deadline.

REG, you just made my day.
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Jason_Sunday » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:11 pm

REG wrote:They can release the information AFTER they sent the final edited layouts to the printers for the First Printing batch.

After.

If you want to get involved in the process before that, ask if they have openings for beta playtesters.

Well, That is a good idea. Thanks for the working of things are done. I was not aware. I thought the game was basicly writen already and all they had to do is convert it to whatever system they were using.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nikchick » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:34 pm

Jason_Sunday wrote:I thought the game was basicly writen already and all they had to do is convert it to whatever system they were using.

This is going to be a pretty thorough re-vamp of the property, more complicated than just translating a few stats from AD&D to D&D 3.x...
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby REG » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 pm

Please tell me you're not going to stop after releasing the DF rulebook? I'd rather see series of supplements and adventures following it.

Personally, I'd like you guys kick AEG's butt with a line of DF novels.

>:)

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Jason_Sunday » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:31 am

Nikchick wrote:This is going to be a pretty thorough re-vamp of the property, more complicated than just translating a few stats from AD&D to D&D 3.x...

So it is going to be D20 or is that just an example?
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jason_Sunday » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:39 am

REG wrote:Please tell me you're not going to stop after releasing the DF rulebook? I'd rather see series of supplements and adventures following it.

Personally, I'd like you guys kick AEG's butt with a line of DF novels.

>:)

I totally agree with you. I have always been a big Feudal Japan Fan. But Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, and Jade Empire has really opened me up to the Wuxia and Ancient Chinese stories. Although I have never read a chinese novel. I have thought of some good campaign ideas. A DF novel would also give me a inspiration.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby REG » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Only recently you became a fan?

Been a fan of Black Belt Martial Arts Theater when Bruce Lee was alive. :wink:

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Jason_Sunday » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:23 pm

REG wrote:Only recently you became a fan?

Been a fan of Black Belt Martial Arts Theater when Bruce Lee was alive. :wink:

Well I always watched Kung Fu theater with my Grandpa when I was little. I have always like Martial Arts, but I am starting to really appreciate the Chinese culture more and kinda enjoying it more than the Japanese. I have always like samurai and ninja. Now my interests are kinda switching around. Weird I know. :green:
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby REG » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:53 pm

Meh.

Hollywood is beginning to appreciate wuxia and Chinese cinema since they awarded an Oscar to Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But for every three such films, excluding Jackie Chan films, we got Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai.

:roll:

I think if Hollywood would look more closely, they may find good Japanese samurai cinema just as good as when Akira Kurosawa introduced the Seven Samurai more than 40 years ago.

Oh, and let us not forget cinema from other regions, including Korea and Thailand (Ong Bak: Thai Warrior comes to mind).

A Generation Kikaida Fan

REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Jason_Sunday » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 pm

I totally agree. Most american samurai or ninja movies are kinda cheesy.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Dragon Fist