Point cost for absorbtion seems high

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Point cost for absorbtion seems high

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:57 am

For 3pp per level, I can get Protection with an extra of Boost or Healing (self only).

Absorbtion is equivalent to this, only there's a limit to when I can use the Boost, plus I'm limited to either physical or energy. This doesn't seem worth 3pp/level. So, what would balance this out?

Possibility 1 is that with Absorbtion, you can actually Boost/Heal by more than your ranks in absorbtion (if you've absorbed 10 points, can you burn all 10 in one round?). IF this is true, it might balance out, but I'm not sure even then..

Possibility 2 would be to make Absorbtion better; say, spending absorbed points is a free action, or even an automatic action for some effects (say, with absorbtion healing you'd heal whenever you got hit, automatically). The second version might be overpowered.

Possibility 3 would be to errata it down to 2pp.

Thoughts?
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby arcady » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:12 pm

Try one rank of sorcery, and an absorption that feeds into it.

Absorption is anything but too cheap...
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:46 pm

arcady wrote:Try one rank of sorcery, and an absorption that feeds into it.

Absorption is anything but too cheap...

How about I try one rank of sorcery, and a boost that feeds into it instead? THis is an argument for boost being broken.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby mgg » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:44 pm

This argument has happened before.

Objectively speaking Absorption's cost is poor compared to protection plus +x exta. Arcady has found, subjectively speaking, that Absorption is popular with the players and more than worth the points.

One possible explanation is that no GM will allow people to just bring in Protection + Healing or Protection + Boost. Or perhaps players aren't quite willing to power game *that* much. After all Absorption is written in the book, which provides them some justification for having the power.

But yes, objectively speaking, protection + healing (self) or protection + boost is better than absorption at exactly the same price.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives