Would you use this power

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Would you use this power

Postby DrObvious » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:44 am

About the only thing I'm not in love with MnM with is the fact that there are only 2 feats that have to do with leadership.

For some people, like Cappy or Kaine (from negation), it just doesn't feel like enough. Here is a solution I thought of:

Take any bennificial power, I was thinking of Luck, but others may work, and apply these two flaws:

-1: Flaw, Only affect teamates
-1: Flaw, Only on actions that you are also taking part in.

Obviously, the word teammate must be taken with a grain of salt.

The second flaw is worded aqwardly, but I don't know how else to put it. Basicly, it works if your teammate is beating up on some mooks with you, or you are both trying to land a plane together, or your both racing up to a train on motorcycles. They don't nessisarily have to be working in tangent, just doing the same type of thing in close proximity of each other.

Any input from the masses?
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:49 am

I don't see any flaw in that really. The limitations on powers are so vast that it seems reasonable to me to apply it in those ways.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby mrobviousjosh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:45 am

About the second flaw and your description of it. What if they were working together but on different projects. For example, the plane situation. Someone could be getting parachutes, someone trying to land the plane, someone putting out an internal fire, etc. They're all working for the same purpose, and being directed no doubt, but not working on the exact same thing. Personally, I'd let it work, but that's just me. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby DrObvious » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:50 am

I think I would. It feels really 'in genre' to me to work that way. I really don't have this fully worked out in my head.

I've really posted because I'm thinking of picking this up for a guy in a game I play in, but I want to have a really well thought out concept first. I know I could go with what I already have, the GM is real fair about stuff, but I'd like to have a little more structure.

The concept in the game is the group went to high school together and where good friends, and they are sort of thrown into a super hero gig they arn't ready for. My char starts out as a lazy good for nothing bum, but is learning the responsibilities of being a leader.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mgg » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:44 am

As far as the second flaw goes, can you describe a situation where the leader would be unable to use the power because of the flaw?
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DrObvious » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:57 am

I said that the plane example would work because the three actions all resolved the same crisis, Planes going to wreck, do something!.

Now if there was a situation where a bus was on fire and some guy had a hostage with a knife to her neck, and Leader was putting out the fire and Teammate was trying to shoot the baddie over the hostage, I don't think it would apply because those are two unrelated crisies, Fire! and Hostages! (If it can't be capitalized and get a !, its not a crisis in a comic book game)

Now that I think about it, for balance sake, I may put a clause in there about if Teammate wants to use the power in combat, the Leader must be in the combat too. I don't know.

DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mgg » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:51 am

As a flaw on Luck, it would work since Luck can usually even be used while stunned or unconscious. I'd even make it slightly less limited.

Luck:
extra: Use on others
flaw: Only on others
flaw: Must be able to inspire target.
Total cost: 4pp per rank?

You could probably add the power stunt which lets the character use hero points on behalf of others. I don't have my book so I might be remembering this incorrectly.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Strand0 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:06 pm

Role playing games are not a good place to simulate GREAT LEADERSHIP. Hopefully the PCs will work together, but having a character whose power IS leadership... I don't get it. :(
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives