The Ultimates

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

The Ultimates

Postby CASE » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:42 am

I am trying to convert The Ultimates from Marvel and I am having a hard time with the Scarlet Witch and her powers. What are her powers? I know she can fly, but her hex powers are not really defined. Please give Suggestions to what power in M&M she has.
CASE
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Novac » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:10 am

I would say Luck with the extras of Fortune and Jinx. Some sort of energy blast with the subtle extra to represent her ability to cause things to blow up :) Mind you I've only read the first graphic novel so I haven't seen what they're doing with her these days.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Dr Archeville » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:23 am

Assuming her powers are like the Scarlet Witch from the mainstream comics, do what Novac said (Luck w/ Fortune & Jinx extras) and a few ranks in Sorcery (with Energy Blast, Flight, Force Field, and Telekinesis as her main spells).
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Liberator » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:53 am

I agree with the above.

They really haven't done much with her that I can remember. I think she was in a few issues and that was it.

Was she more prominent in any of the Ultimate Xmen titles?
Liberator
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby BruteForce » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:31 pm

Liberator wrote:They really haven't done much with her that I can remember. I think she was in a few issues and that was it.

Was she more prominent in any of the Ultimate Xmen titles?

Pretty much the same. She was fairly prominent in the "Tomorrow People" storyarc (issues #1-6), but she didn't do much, then she showed up at the end of "Return to Weapon X" (issue #10? 11?) and used her powers the one and only time I can actually remember -- she "magically" removed these little explosive implants from the X-Men's heads without hurting them (some weird permutation of Teleport?). Then she showed up during "Ultimate War," but didn't have a very powers-heavy role.

I've been working on conversions of both books (Ultimate X-Men and The Ultimates), too, and I've been kinda stuck with her, only because there really isn't much material to go on. I figure it may be best just to wait on her until she really does something.
Ultimate M&M: Ultimate Marvel M&M Conversions
http://fanboy12.tripod.com
Updated August 11! Now with stats for Storm, the Sentinels, and Thor!
BruteForce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Liberator » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:33 pm

Yah, if you were working off straight 'mainstream' Avengers or X-Men, it would be easier.

She seems to always have the right power at the right time though doesn't she? Is there a way to work that in with Luck?

So, if she came across a situation like the little bombs in the head thing, she could make a luck roll to see if her 'sorcery' power could handle it? Or maybe a 'Sorcery Gadgeteering' hybrid of some sort?
Liberator
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby BruteForce » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:44 pm

Upon re-checking the first Ultimate X-Men storyarc, I've found something else -- at one point, she's firing what's referred to as "Hex Bolts" (read: big red sparks) at a speeding car carrying Wolverine and the President's daughter... so Ultimate Scarlet Witch apparently has Energy Blast.
BruteForce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Novac » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:10 pm

BruteForce wrote:Upon re-checking the first Ultimate X-Men storyarc, I've found something else -- at one point, she's firing what's referred to as "Hex Bolts" (read: big red sparks) at a speeding car carrying Wolverine and the President's daughter... so Ultimate Scarlet Witch apparently has Energy Blast.

Just like I suggested ;)
Novac
Booster
Booster

Scarlet Witch's Hex power according to Steve

Postby Greg K » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:50 pm

I don't know if this helps, but several months ago I asked Steve about Scarlet Witch's hex power and whether it would be Luck with lots of extras or sorcery. This was his reply:

The Scarlet Witch's hex power is somewhat tricky because it has been rather vaguely and inconsistently portrayed in the comics. I'd suggest something like this:

Hex Power [Effects: Deflection, Energy Blast, Neutralize, Telekinesis, Variable Effect; Stunts: Dazzle, Disintegration, Snare, Stun, Suffocate; Flaw: Unpredictable - On a roll of "1" the hex benefits rather than hinders the target; Cost: 5 pp/rank plus 5 stunts (10 pp); Source: Mutation/Mystical]

This allows Wanda to do most of the things she does in the comics, with the Variable Effect allowing her to whip up most anything else as extra effort or by spending a Hero Point, which covers a lot of the oddball, one-time uses of her power.

You can decide whether or not Wanda needs a separate Sorcery power. I'd tend to say no. Although she's described as having some magical training in addition to her hex powers, such abilities are generally covered by giving her Mystic Awareness and the Variable Effect of her Hex Power/Chaos Magic.
Greg K
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:06 pm

Just looked over the conversions, good by the way, but I didn't know Wolverine was invisible to radar. Very cool. Is it because of the Adamantium? I can't think of any other reason why. Thanks.
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Novac » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:45 pm

mrobviousjosh wrote:Just looked over the conversions, good by the way, but I didn't know Wolverine was invisible to radar. Very cool. Is it because of the Adamantium? I can't think of any other reason why. Thanks.

I don't know how, but it's mentioned in one of the more recent Graphic Novels. He tackles Iron Man.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:34 pm

Interesting. Well, just wondering. Thanks for the useful bit of info. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Novac » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:43 pm

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just collect the graphic novels. I don't have the time, or really the money to collect comics issue by issue anymore. I couldn't find book #3 ot Ultimate X-Men, so I might have missed it.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Ironman Powers?

Postby CASE » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:18 pm

His armor has energy blast, super str and flight, but what would be good for the thought scramblers. Mental blast, stun, or sonic control?
CASE
Bystander
Bystander

RE: Wolverine

Postby Eclipse » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:55 pm

I don't know if this is the actual reason for Wolvies invisibility to radar but once, many moons ago, he and some of the other X-Men were granted invisibility to electronic detection devices by Roma. This was around the Siege Perilous days. Hope this helps.
Eclipse
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Speed Demon » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:55 pm

as for Wolverine's invisibility to radar, I think this goes back to when the X-Men passed through the Siege Perilous, just before their apparent deaths in Dallas.

After entering the Siege Perilous, all of those X-Men were given that ability by Roma.

I know a lot has happened since then, so it may be because of something else that happened more recently.
just my 2 cents, 3 nickels, a dime and some lint
Speed Demon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sketchpad » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:31 pm

Isn't this about the Ultimate version of Wolvie? If so, then no Seige Perilous for him that we know of. IIRC, it has to do with some mods that Weapon X did to him.
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby mrobviousjosh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:01 am

Yeah, I know one of Weapon X's "Improvements" to him was the mental thought protection which even Charles Xavier can't pierce. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or resources to keep up with it. :wink:
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby BruteForce » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:15 pm

To clear things up, my conversion is of the Ultimate X-men version, so there's no Siege Perilous. I didn't know he was radar-invisible, either, but I just picked up the Ultimate War trade paperback; in issue #4, Iron Man captures Xavier and Beast, and is flying around all proud of himself, talking about how that was a close one and all that, when Nick Fury starts screaming at him over the radio to shut up and just gain height. Tony says, "Why? The radar isn't picking anything up."
Fury then informs him, "That's because we [S.H.I.E.L.D.] rebuilt him to be radar invisible, genius! Just gain height!"

But by then, it's too late.

To be honest, the whole series surprised me with just how effective the supposedly still-in-training X-Men were at handing the Ultimates' asses to them. When I read that Colossus, after taking a full-speed flying body ram from Iron Man and not even being fazed, has been "kicking the crap out of Thor for ten minutes," It makes me wonder if I need to re-think the power levels of my conversions (I had Colossus at 10 and Thor at 15)...
BruteForce
Bystander
Bystander

BruteForce's Wolverine

Postby CASE » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:01 pm

Liked the stats, but for the claws I would add Penetrating Attack. They can cut almost all substances.
CASE
Bystander
Bystander

Re: BruteForce's Wolverine

Postby BruteForce » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:00 pm

CASE wrote:Liked the stats, but for the claws I would add Penetrating Attack. They can cut almost all substances.

You know what? That makes perfect sense. I just uploaded stats for Storm and the Sentinels, and while I was at it, I made the change to Wolvie. Had to drop a couple of points from Drive, but I think it's worth it. Thanks!

And on another note, For Iron Man's thought scramblers, when he used them on the Hulk, they seemed more in line with Stun than any other power, but a few modifications are needed. I'm thinking Stun with the Area extra, the Mental extra (they're thought scramblers, after all -- besides, if they used a Fortitude save like the standard power, the Hulk probably could have shaken it off), and the Heroic Effort flaw.
BruteForce
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives