Variable Power: An Extra?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Variable Power: An Extra?

Postby Sketchpad » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:55 pm

I was wondering what people thought about VP being an extra in a power ... as in, say varying effects. Say someone can fire a blast of energy and takes VP. Could they then vary what kind of energy they could use? Any opinons?
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby BruteForce » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:12 pm

Works for me.

But not for every power. Alternate Form or Element Control, for instance (since they already charge an extra for each variation). I could see it getting abused pretty badly when applied to, say, Energy Control (better to handle that the way Element Control does, I think... or just keep each type a separate power). But for powers with a slightly more limited scope, like Energy Blast or Energy Field, I don't see a problem...
Ultimate M&M: Ultimate Marvel M&M Conversions
http://fanboy12.tripod.com
Updated August 11! Now with stats for Storm, the Sentinels, and Thor!
BruteForce
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ryan_Singer » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:17 pm

it's good as long as he always has to pay a HP to change what the variable effect is.-Ryan
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby horned god » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:28 pm

I would not allow it, not for the cost of just an extra. I would instead let you do a lot of various effects with your single energy type ofcourse that defeats the purpose of you buying variable effect I know, oh well.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Strand0 » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:53 pm

Don't like it. Bad players in Champions, trying to use Variable Power Pool. :P
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Sketchpad » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:08 pm

I'm thinking something closer to Variable Effects from Hero ...
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DarkTouch » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:24 am

There are a number of character concepts where it makes sense to do something like that.

There are two ways that I can see you asking this. First, a character taking Energy Blast (fire) can take a power stunt to get EB(Cold), another stunt for EB electricity, etc.. I don't see how for something like that a variable effect as an extra would throw the game too far out of whack. It keeps the bookkeeping down to a minimum as well...

Another version of this would be for a shape shifter who can do XYZ with his shapeshifting power.. but the power is really VERY versitle and should be able to do more than that. I just take the Gadgets power, de-flaw the device flaw and then add it as an extra to the main power. For the cost of a hero point he then has an added level of flexibility... only up to 2 PP cost though.. so no super-strength, although Strike, Strength Skills, or Carrying Capacity could all be enhanced individually.
My Blue Rose Character Sheet - Version 0.6 (Now OGL Compliant) Feedback welcome.
DarkTouch
Booster
Booster

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:50 am

Check the power building section- its already an option. Variable Effects cost 1 hero points to change, but let you immitate any other effect (a la Gadgets) of 2/rank or less.

It really is a must-have for character like Martian Manhunter or Inque who have so many options for their shape shifting power.

I've allowed it, and its no more disruptive than Sorcery or Gadget if you strictly enforce the point swap, with a return to 'neutral' after each scene.
-B
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Variable Effects

Postby rstehwien » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:52 pm

I personally would allow a "Variable Special Effect" extra that allows:
- Energy Blast to change what energy type
- Alternate Form to determine the energy type of the energy form and the material of the other forms.

This is very different from the Variable effect that lets you simulate any power like Gadgets (Variable with the Device limit) at the cost of a Hero point to change the power. Since it is so much weaker than being able to makeup any power whenever you feel like it, it would not cost a hero point to change.

What "Variable Special Effect" would allow you to do is capitolize on the weaknesses of others. Hmm, this fellow is vunerable to fire so I'll blast him with that.

Seems pretty fair for an extra considering you can take a specific energy type for energy blast or another form for alternate form for a power stunt.[/quote]
rstehwien
Cohort
Cohort

Variable Effects

Postby rstehwien » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:52 pm

I personally would allow a "Variable Special Effect" extra that allows:
- Energy Blast to change what energy type
- Alternate Form to determine the energy type of the energy form and the material of the other forms.

This is very different from the Variable effect that lets you simulate any power like Gadgets (Variable with the Device limit) at the cost of a Hero point to change the power. Since it is so much weaker than being able to makeup any power whenever you feel like it, it would not cost a hero point to change.

What "Variable Special Effect" would allow you to do is capitolize on the weaknesses of others. Hmm, this fellow is vunerable to fire so I'll blast him with that.

Seems pretty fair for an extra considering you can take a specific energy type for energy blast or another form for alternate form for a power stunt.
rstehwien
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives