Quicker Recovery from Stunned?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Quicker Recovery from Stunned?

Postby slaughterj » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:17 am

I can see character concepts in which one can recover quickly from being Stunned (perhaps Wolverine, other super-regenerators, etc.), so I was trying to come up with a mechanism to do it, when I came across this:

Healing, PL1, Extra: Trigger (when hurt), Flaw: Personal, Cost: 3pp/PL

This seemed to allow for a d20 roll + 1 for PL1 Healing against a DC10 check for Stun recovery under the Healing power, giving a 60% chance of immediately recovering from being Stunned when it occurred. Note, it would also immediately heal a Hit taken (thus is at least as good as PL 10 Regen), as well as allow immediate recovery checked from disabled conditions, all for a cost of 3pp.

The problems with this:
1. At 3pp, it appears undercosted ;) But hey, maybe it's just front-loaded like other powers, e.g., Incorporeal?
2. The various Healing effects have to be selected from when the Healing power is used, so perhaps it needs to be flawed to do the specific one desired (i.e., Stunned condition) since it couldn't do each.
3. Presumably this is how EF was built from EB (i.e., EB with Extra: Trigger, and Flaw: No Range)? However, I conceive EF as a continuous power effectively, thus going down when Stunned, etc., meaning perhaps this power needs to be bumped up in Duration? However, that creates an issue in how Trigger and Continuous work together...

Given the above, another possible formulation would be:

Healing, PL1, Extra: Duration x4 (Instant to Conc, to Sus, to Cont, to Perm)Flaw: Personal, Flaw: Only for Stunned condition, Cost: 5pp/PL

Under this formulation, there's the following issues:
1. At 5pp, still conceivably undercosted? However, it doesn't act like Regen PL10 anymore, or heal Disables, etc.
2. Seems as if it doesn't work immediately when stunned, as the first one, but it isn't clear when it would work, on the player's initiative even though they should have lost it due to being Stunned?
3. Perhaps solving #2 is done by adding Trigger? But then what's up with extension of Duration stuff?

Thoughts? Alternative ideas on how to make someone who can more quickly shake off being Stunned? (One other possibility would be to simply by more Hero Points, Flawed only to Recover from being Stunned?)
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Captain Claymore » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:35 am

I think the chance of being stunned even for just 1 round is what makes many of MnM's powers playable. If you were to start eliminating that possibility, the game would suffer IMO. Healing as it stands is a great representation of recovering quickly, just not too quickly. That six or so seconds when the villains powers are down is many times the heroes only shot at winning a battle. Sure it's true the other way as well but that's what makes the game exciting. Risk is everything as far as stories go.

Like I said, this is just my take on the topic. FWIW. :)

[Edit]
Your right about the Hero points thing though. That would be a easy way to cover it. I don'tthink you can flaw Hero points though. Hero's Luck Feat, take it or leave it I say.
Captain Claymore
Cohort
Cohort

Postby slaughterj » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:52 am

Captain Claymore wrote:Your right about the Hero points thing though. That would be a easy way to cover it. I don'tthink you can flaw Hero points though. Hero's Luck Feat, take it or leave it I say.

IIRC, you can Flaw any Feat, e.g., buy Nightvision Goggles as Dark Vision with the Flaw: Device. Similarly, I believe many with Gadget Pools buy extra Hero Points (Hero's Luck Feat) with the Flaw: Only for Changing Gadget Pool. So I don't think there's a problem with doing this.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Novac » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:55 am

slaughterj wrote:
Captain Claymore wrote:Your right about the Hero points thing though. That would be a easy way to cover it. I don'tthink you can flaw Hero points though. Hero's Luck Feat, take it or leave it I say.

IIRC, you can Flaw any Feat, e.g., buy Nightvision Goggles as Dark Vision with the Flaw: Device. Similarly, I believe many with Gadget Pools buy extra Hero Points (Hero's Luck Feat) with the Flaw: Only for Changing Gadget Pool. So I don't think there's a problem with doing this.

That's what I usually do :)
Novac
Booster
Booster

Re: Quicker Recovery from Stunned?

Postby slaughterj » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:59 am

slaughterj wrote: (One other possibility would be to simply by more Hero Points, Flawed only to Recover from being Stunned?)

I think it'd be even reasonable to allow Hero Points with the Flaw: Only for Recovering, allowing for use to overcome being Stunned, or rolling to recover from Unconscious/Disabled, and this being a cool add-on to certain Regenerative-type characters...
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby slaughterj » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:47 pm

No other thoughts on this?!
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Novac » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:50 pm

slaughterj wrote:No other thoughts on this?!

Looks good to me.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives