CityBuilder Game

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

CityBuilder Game

Postby Crackerjack » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:28 pm

Ok, lets make our own group super city.

Each person post a location, local team, hero or villain, or important NPC, according to labels... like:

SoulessMegaCorp
*description*

Next: a local hero team

understand?

To start off...

The Chrensky Tower: The tallest point in the whole city, soaring above even the tallest skyscrapers, is the Chrensky Tower Memorial, funded by the philanthropic Chrenksy Brothers to honor the victims of the USURPER organization's bombing that killed 50 people in the city five years ago. It stands as a living reminder that the supers are here to help and save lives, the steel and stone as constant as the foundation of the community itself.

Next: The Mayor (NPC)
"Look out boys, it's Astro City's greatest hero!"
"Hey, I dont see Samaritan anywhere..."
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby mrobviousjosh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:00 am

Mayor George W. Quimby. A middle aged man, around 50 or so, that typically is unopposed come elections. He is well received and, having been the mayor for nearly 6 years has grown accustomed to handling the city and the Meta Human phenomenon. Overall he's a fair and honest man who is constantly being built up due to his reputation and previous position as editor of the local newspaper. :)

Next Up: Most Notable Villain
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Strand0 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:44 am

Sovereign
A grandiose villain of unlimited strength and diverse powers. Six years ago as Star Dragon, he was a member of a team called The Crime Brotherhood. He changed his code-name when he gutted the Brotherhood by draining the powers of most of the members into himself.

Sovereign has been defeated in his plans but never himself in combat.

Next Up: Last major disaster
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Luke de Sade » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:26 am

Last Major Disaster: The U.S.S. Melbourne Accident (1991)

The U.S.S. Melbourne, a merchantile ship carrying 1,000 plus crewmen, got caught in the middle of a war between Atlantis' troops and the local metahuman team. Even though the local team tried their best to keep the Melbourne safe from harm, it got caught in the crossfire and exploded, killing most of its crewmen. Only a handful of them survived.

This was the event that lead to Mr. Superior's resignation from being a superhero.

Next: Local Urban Legend
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Postby Novac » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:16 am

Local Urban Legend: Nightbringer

There's a story passed around the homeless community. While the tunnels under the city might seem safe to hide in they're not. Deep down below there lives a creature of pure darkness and it's called the Nightbringer. It can't survive in the light, so they say. Keep a candle lit at all times if you can or else you might be the shadow shaped imprint to be found on the walls.

Next Up: Bringer of hope
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:28 am

Some Local Ledgend:

Some say he's a man, some say he's a monster, while some say its just a myth to scare bad children! But those that have seen the Night Demon of Zero Town (the high crime district) aren't saying anything becasue they are all dead!!!! >:) They say he haunts the ruins of St Celias church and the old abandon hostipal complex where the monster was born..... Rumor has it that no gang or drug dealer will operate in that area at least not for long! Its a safe haven for homeless squaters and runaways but even they don't wander after dark!

Next up:

A National Sports Team!

ps
CJ - since it was your idea to start this thread - I think it should be you who picks a name for this city!
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby AaronUnicorn » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:29 am

Bringer of hope: Angela

There is a woman who visits the hospital in our fair city. No one knows her name. She is pale, blonde, and wears a white gown. Occasionally, people in critical conditions will be visited by her, but never when the family or medical care is in the room. She never says a word, but she visits these patients, and with a serene smile, takes away their pain. They inevitably fall asleep after she touches them, but awaken to find a single, snow-white feather on their pillows.

Everyone who has been visited by her has made a complete recovery. Whenever a nurse or doctor has happened upon her, she smiles, and with a flash of light, is gone.

The press have named her Angela.

Next: The Chief of Police
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:37 am

Well it seems that Novac beat me to the punch with the urban ledgend >:) So without futher ado:

The Chief of Police -

Shelly Stone
She comes from a long line of police officers - her gradfather was a beat cop - her father a decorated hero of the force who gave his life in the line of duty and her brother who is also a member of the local police force (det. John Stone) who works for the forces "Powers" devision. She has spend her life trying to be the equal of any man on the force while up holding her own ideals! A woman in her 40's in great physical shape she puses her body as hard as she pushes her mind - to get the job done! She is very "powers" friendly often cutting the local supers alot of slack in their dealing with crime so long as they don't cross the line.

Next up:

A National Sports Team!

ps
CJ - since it was your idea to start this thread - I think it should be you who picks a name for this city!
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby sea_tyger » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:22 am

National Sports Team: The city has always been a baseball town, from it's roots in the 1880's Federal Association to it's back-to-back champions in the 1990-91 seasons. The Harriers have retooled after struggling for the last half of the 90's, and are deep in a pennant race for the major league crown this season.

Led by All-Star third baseman Orlando Nunez, who is once again flirting with .400, the Harriers are relying on three amazing young pitchers to carry them to the promise land.

The team was founded in 1959, named after a WWII-era Atlantean hero who protected the city's harbor against Nazi agents.

Next: The Local "Mystery Spot"
Last edited by sea_tyger on Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davy Jones
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

aka Celtic Cross
(formerly the Real Superdave)

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
sea_tyger
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Stickman » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:14 am

Local "Mystery Spot" - The Old Brightland Tunnels

Part of the massive construction for an underground train system in the post war boom times, the Brightland Tunnels now lie, dark and abandoned, on the North side of town.

Continued seismic activity during the last 4 decades has weakened the tunnel structures to such a point that they've been declared unfit for purpose, but this has done little to reduce thier poplarity as a spot for the unwanted or those trying to hide out in the city.

Split into several distinct areas, the main entrance to the tunnel is the favoured night time hangout of many youngsters. 'The Cave' as it's known is a contrete maw nearly 30 meters high and twice as wide. Tracks decend into the darkness and the platforms here designed for hundreds of pasengers lie cracked and covered in graffiti. The waiting rooms have long since been reduced to twisted metal and the stairs that lead from the platforms are nearly invisible under the litter that swamps them.

The next area is known as the Shambles, a badly ventilated set of smalelr train tunnels that provides shelter for many rough sleepers. The ceilings of these tunnels are swung with hammocks and netting to keep people off the rat infested sludge below.

Beyond the shambles the walls close in as entire sections of the Tunnels have collapsed, leaving the area known as the Catacombs. The only way to progress deeper is through the tiny crawlspaces left between rubble or to try to navigate the maintenance pipes and power conduits. These dark places are cold and forgotten, out of sight and mind.

Once in a while though a group of kids get drunk enough to decide to explore, or one too many of the forgotten folks down there go missing in the stygian darkness ...

Next Up: The cities seediest street, and it's local super
"When a wise man points to the moon, only a fool regards the finger."
Stickman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Claymore » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:32 am

The cities seediest street, and it's local super:

ONE WAY BLVD. - Craterville
On the southwest edge of Zero town is the neighborhood of lower Riverside. Better known by the locals as Craterville. Back in the forties it was a respectable commercial district surrounded by middle class homes. Over the decades corporate interests and the flow of development left the area behind. In the sixties much of the land was bought up by a developer intent on reshaping the area into a modern image of its past glories. Work began on demolishing the old buildings to make way for the new. Unfortunately after 75% of the area was smashed, the developer lost backers and money dried up for the project.
What's left now is a jumbled collection of rubble piles and condemned stone buildings interspersed with weed choked lots and junk filled alleys. Running right through the center is One Way Blvd. Home to murderous gangs, half the cities drug dealers, homeless and forgotten members of humanity and every vice imaginable.
Even the Craterville Highway has it's heroes though. A super known only as Figment patrols the Craters and protects the few innocents that call the area home. Half thought not to exist, Figment seems to be able to shape reality itself and deals harshly with anyone who threatens his people. It's said that he talks to the rats and pigeons and knows a great deal that they have seen.

Next up the cities prankster villain everyone loves to hate:
Captain Claymore
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Crackerjack » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:33 am

The Seediest Street and it's Super:

Tutluf Street
This is the dirtiest section in the entire metro area, lined with theatres and shops of dubious purposes and houses of ill repute. It's not suprising that a decade ago this place had the highest crimerate in the whole city. It would still be that way if it werent for The Red Badge. He appeared ten years ago, saving dozens from a fatal fire in a seedy hotel. Since then he has been the only hero to step in and aid the none too innocent denizens of the area from serial killers, disasters, and mafia shootouts.
The Red Badge dresses in the uniform of a Civil War private, his uniform completely the color of blood. He never gives any explanation for his actions and no one has ever found out his true identity, but he has become a historical part of the city, easily on par with the superheroes of more respectable parts of the city. Some local historians claim that a civil war battle that happened on the site might be the reason for this hero choosing to be it's protector.
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Crackerjack » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:34 am

just use the prankster one as the next, Id say.
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:53 am

Ridikule

Ridikule began his career as a professional danger sports celebrity and inventor who took a bad fall on his head causing brain damage.
His villainous debut was the simultaneous pumping of helium gas into all the cities TV and Radio stations live on air. Hilariously funny – but afterwards he declared the gas was mixed with a slow – acting toxin that would render anyone who imbibed it sterile.
Coinciding with this he invested heavily in adoption clinics.
The whole caper was discovered to be a hoax and ridikule spent 3 years incarcerated in a mental institution. During this time he taught himself computer languages and coding. While actually still locked away he hacked into the cities traffic and utilities systems causing chaos and ordered 10,000 sanitary towels to be delivered to the Mayor's office.

He escaped the institution and outfitted himself with an upgraded snowboard (complete with airfoils and rocket power), various grenades, gimmicks gadgets and advanced body armor based on danger sport protection.

His genius intellect combined with his athletic sports background, dubious mental state, bizarre humour and ingenious equipment makes him both an intriguing and unpredictable adversary.

He combines criminal hacking activities with showy and bizarre public capers.

Next: The local Hi-Tech Science Labs
Last edited by Chris on Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Crackerjack » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:55 am

So far we have that it's a coastal city, and perhaps in the south. It has a stuffed shirt mayor who is bassically a good guy. It sounds kinda gritty ultramodern in parts (loved Zero Town and Craterville btw), while very old and historical in others.

Id like to steer clear from anything that makes this just another east coast super city. I mean, I see it as east coast, but not another new england or central east coast. It would nice to see a southern super city... and who says the south cant have major modern cities! Then again, Chrensky and such names suggest the immigrant heavy north than the south...but I regress. Things will be what they become.

Now, as far as naming the city I have a few ideas I would like people to vote on as they post their turn in the game:

Tristar City
Rocketville
Deliverance
Shining Bay
Golden City
Dante City
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Captain Claymore » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:04 am

Why east coast I wonder? The Brightland tunnels show signs of seismic activity. That says West coast to me. Maybe Northern for the gloom?
Just a thought.

On the name. I don't have a favorite out of those listed but please no Deliverance. I can just see Cousin Jethro the pig lovin' Villain attacking as banjo music fills the air. :o

What can I say, I've been brainwashed by movie culture. :D
Captain Claymore
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Crackerjack » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:06 am

Maybe. West Coast, East Coast, I dunno. ^^;;;
It'll happen as it happens.
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:12 am

How about somewhere south of Seattle on the west?
Like a New York of the west coast?
:yar:
Hell, I Dont Know, I'm A Brit
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Crackerjack » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:11 pm

I was actually thinking Tri-Star City, Georgia or Dante City, Oregon.
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Hi Tech Science Labs

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:57 pm

Dark Inudstries Incorporated

Dark Indistries Incorporated is an international company and brainchild of its CEO and founder, Lord Edward Dark III a reclusive and somewhat eccentric english noble and billionaire.
Dark Industries works primarily in the bio-genic enhancements and thier military application. this includes the use of advanced cloning and genetic enhancement, and the innovative use of donated recombinant metahuman DNA for the purposes of enhancing mundanes via the Gene Therapy treatments thier voluntary test subjects undergo.

The central offices, and international headquarters of Dark Industries reside within a very large gothic building, built with stone imported all the wy from the quarries of Salisbury in England. This tall and brooding building has many large stained glass windows and gargoyles covering exterior and is a definite feature in an otherwise moder day high tech urban skyline.

The Main research labs and development areas of Dark Industries are beneath this grim edifice and stretch far below the ground reachable only via elevators from within the building itself. All of these labs for purposes of containing any possible biohazard are supported by independant water, air and power systems all controlled and regulated by the companies central computer, which is rumoured to use revolutionary biological circuitry, something the computer industry has long strived for. though these rumours have yet to be confirmed.

Next: An Church and refuge within a poor neghbourhood
Mark "Neo" Howe

"Et Semel Emissum Volat Irevocabile Verbum"
http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html
Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:22 pm

Saint Joseph's Cathedral. Built in 1822 this historic cornerstone of the city is now operating in the poorest portion of town. Crime, theft, violence is up, but the ministry remains, providing food and a warm place to stay for the homeless. It's funded primarily by private donations and has several volunteer staff to ensure its survival. Several Historic Preservation Societies have also proposed a complete restoration of the degraded structure but, alas, as the neighborhood deterorates so does interest in the historic preservation of the church.

Next Up: Local Newspaper
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby sea_tyger » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:36 pm

Local Newspaper:

The Coastal Historian

Originally begun in 1903 as a rival to the venerable Trumpeter, the Coastal Historian quickly became known for its dedication to the truth and dogged determination of its reporters when other media outlets (first the Trumpeter, then later radio and television stations) became the mouthpieces of politics.

The Historian eventually purchased the Trumpeter in 1974 (and still uses the Trumpeter's banner for it's Sunday morning edition), continuing its long-standing tradition of integrity and factual reporting.

Today the Coastal Historian has a circulation of nearly 123 million papers worls-wide. Led by managing editor Stuart Madden, a savvy reporter and businessman who has been with the paper for 36 years, the Historian continues to blaze a trail of fair-and-balanced reporting, riveting "personality pieces" and wise editorials.

Next: The city's military/historical/heroic monument

Name Vote: Dante City
Davy Jones
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

aka Celtic Cross
(formerly the Real Superdave)

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
sea_tyger
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:49 pm

The Hevenly Church of the New Golden Light

The new church was once know as the cathedal of St Dominic but short after a mysterious explosion the church closed its dorrs and put the building up on the open market! As the chuch lay in near ruins so to did the surounding area of Oaken Hills being to become seedier. Then about a year ago the evangelical Revand X reopened the doors and "set up shop" with his doctrine of "super humanity" - some say that this is just a new cult - but the members of the church had done alot to rebuild the area - only time will tell if the local gangs will respond to the cleaning of the streets!

Next up - who's the BIG CHEESE? the top super hero of the city?

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx

PS
I vote for the name - Shining Bay
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:52 pm

Curses!

OK here we go again - Valhalla Park

This memorial park located in the center of Heroes Plaze in the heart of downtown - here are not only statues but monuments for those fallen heroes of the city - The cops and firie fighters killed in the line of duty - Those fine citizens who lost their lives in the different Wars and of corse the Fallen superheroes of the city!

Next up - who's the BIG CHEESE? the top super hero of the city?

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx

PS
I vote for the name - Shining Bay
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Crackerjack » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:16 am

Just as an insert till I or someone else places our fair city's biggest hero, Im just gonna throw out the names of the some of the local supers:

The civil soldier, Red Badge
Airborne avenger, Harrier II
Knight of the green velvet table, The CardSharp
Crackerjack
Booster
Booster

Next

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives