RPG'ing Desert

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

RPG'ing Desert

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:40 pm

My long-time regular group have split (two are a couple and are moving away to London) and the third guy is leaving to go and work in Scotland.
Tonight was our last game after many years of playing (we started in 1985 with Call Of Cthulhu).

For the last session we finished a 6 week long campaign that resulted in the heroes giving their lives to save the universe (corny but HELL it was good).
Basically for the last evening the climax of the saga involved their characters flipping between their multiverse counterparts (I converted most of their previous characters from other systems & campaigns).
They didnt know that was going to happen and it was really really great seeing the surpirse and shock as I pulled out their old Call Of Cthuhu investigators, Secret Agents, Superheroes, Fantasy Characters all statted up for M&M.

A great finish to a great game.

'Nuff Said!
Last edited by Chris on Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:14 pm

Well its always sad to see a good game break up - but if you are going to go what a great way to do so!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:17 am

Definitely. My group and I have been playing since 1997 or so, not near as long, but I could understand how it would affect me. That was really a touching way to let the game end. Great Job. :)
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Daywalker » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:16 pm

It hurt alot when my group of 4 years split, I can't even imagine what it must feel like for a group going for 18 years. The thing about roleplaying is that it is usually pretty easy to find another group.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Strict31 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:41 pm

Man, I hate to say it, but you're actually fortunate to have been able to end it like that. My table top group disbanded a few years back with a bitter fizzle. We had a married couple, an aspiring rock star, a medicated, terminally depressed chick, a photographer/philosopher, a swim-jock and me. The married couple had commitment issues, which spilled out into in-character dynamics (I had several romantic relationships with the wife which, according to others, became too sexually charged or whatever...I just thought I was roleplaying... >:) ). The rock star had a destructive affair with the depressed chick and also began focusing more and more of his freetime to his band. The photographer became bitter because the rock star had dated his ex (a different depressed chick) and that spilled over into gameplay. And the husband was a shameless power-monger who thought he was playing a mod of Half-Life.

We became such pissed-off, distracted and angry as$holes that we all simultaneously decided that we each had better things to do. The last major highpoints we had: the husband's character gutted a cook and bathed in her blood to satisfy the deviant wishes of a spirit that had possessed him; and I attempted to seduce the wife's hyper-violent character with a dashing madman who fully intended to torture her to death.

I think we were all too tragically sophisticated for our own good. But at least I can laugh about myself now whenever I look back on it. And to be honest, my high school AD&D gaming group had a really cool "final" adventure, so I can't complain too much.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Doctor Otaku » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:44 pm

I had to leave the group that I had put together many years ago to move to Arizona to look for work. And it was just as I was getting a MnM game ready to go. :cry: So now I'm in a desert literally and figuratively.
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby mshaslam » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:58 pm

I need to get glasses. My first response to the subject line was "pink and white animal cookies with those colored sprinkles". Neat and crumbless, and can double as miniatures in a pinch.

It's always a bummer when a good gaming group splits up. As a *cough* experienced gamer *cough*, I've been through that a number of times. Only one of them had a similar dramatic ending, though most of the characters managed to survive saving the world :-)

Mark.
mshaslam
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bestopheles » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:54 am

Chris,

GREAT IDEA! I have a campaign which is currently ending which this idea will work PERFECTLY for. BRILLIANT!

THANKS!
Jason
Live in or near Arlington Heights, IL (Chicago NW Suburbs) and like to roleplay? Then click here: http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=59584#59584
Bestopheles
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby mcginitys » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:58 pm

Daywalker wrote:It hurt alot when my group of 4 years split, I can't even imagine what it must feel like for a group going for 18 years. The thing about roleplaying is that it is usually pretty easy to find another group.

I've been with the same group for 5 years which has dwindled down from 8 or 9 players to the current 2 players and a DM. It isn't hard to find a gaming group, but it's sure hard to find a supers playing group.
mcginitys
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Novac » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:16 pm

Eh, I can't find a gaming group that plays every week. I keep hoping though :)
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:11 pm

Chris,

GREAT IDEA! I have a campaign which is currently ending which this idea will work PERFECTLY for. BRILLIANT!

Well this idea occurred to me at the last moment. Basically the PC's had to heal a rift in the fabric of the Multiverse - which meant that each of their Multiversal personas (from all the other game systems we had played through) had to seal up the rifts on their own worlds by stepping into the 'null space' portals.
Null Space is simply 'A realm of total nothingness'.
As they tried to seal the rifts the villain of the piece ‘Endgame’ sent adversaries from the other realms to stop them. We had Deep Ones and Nightgaunts fighting Elven heroes and MI6 agents struggling against orcs and goblins - general reality chaos across he multiverse ensued.

Oh, and (I liked this the best) it was made clear to all the incarnations of the heroes that the reason they had all become adventurers was to one day stop this event from destroying reality.

I deliberately left the concept of ‘The Null’ open – as the heroes stepped into the void of nothingness and sacrificed themselves everyone asked ‘are they dead?’
I simply closed my notes and screen and smiled. They may return one day...or not.
Who knows? For no one has returned from The Null...

Then we had a few cold beers - and the next evening was a hell of a party!
8)

BTW - Endgame was a cosmic amalgamation of each of their single greatest major villains they had fought across the realms (although I hit on this idea towards the end!)
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

I really hate to see a campaign end... but you can save it..

Postby MoonHunter » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:12 am

If you don't mind mutating it some.

Might I suggest your group use webrpg or net meeting to continue to play together? You lose some of the interaction, but it gives you a regular meeting time. Even with divergent time zones... you can game once a week and a few people have altered sleep patterns.

In addition, Play by Post, at www.rpol.net for example, might give you regular contact and some gaming goodness. The advantage of play by post is nobody has to stay up late, get up early for the game.

Both of these suggestions do change the texture of the game played, but they allow you to game and have the social contact. A good deal most of the time.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
Now posting 1100+ RPG Tips @ www.openroleplaying.org
MoonHunter
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives