Construct Followers

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Construct Followers

Postby JELEINEN » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:25 pm

Is there another way to do followers other than the sidekick and minions feats? While those two work fine for intelligent, free willed followers, having automatons and robots dependent on leadership just doesn't seem right. Does someone have a system with a flat spend x PP and get a follower of x PL? This would seem to make more sense to me in this situation. Or, am I missing something completely? Thanks.
JELEINEN
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Construct Followers

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:44 pm

JELEINEN wrote:Is there another way to do followers other than the sidekick and minions feats? While those two work fine for intelligent, free willed followers, having automatons and robots dependent on leadership just doesn't seem right. Does someone have a system with a flat spend x PP and get a follower of x PL? This would seem to make more sense to me in this situation. Or, am I missing something completely? Thanks.

:idea: I may be wrong on this one but could one not purchase this sort of "follower" (automations or robots) as a gadget? I so am going out on a limb here as I don't have me book handy to double check! :wink:

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby palehorse » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:45 pm

You mean as a device, Nightlynx? 'Cause that's what I was thinking.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Ryan_Singer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:46 pm

I would use the option of having leadership based on INT and just say that building/maintaining that many robot's / undead / whatever is a function of your PL + how smart you are.
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

I have done just this in the past..

Postby haferka » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:45 pm

Ryan_Singer wrote:I would use the option of having leadership based on INT and just say that building/maintaining that many robot's / undead / whatever is a function of your PL + how smart you are.

I have done just this in the past..

Toyboy (a hero I created before I realized there was already a villian almost identical to my hero).

He has Leadership based on Intelligence. At PL 10 with a nice Leadership score, not to difficult. you will endup with 80+ minnions. Most of which are PL 1.

Create them as PL1 constructs. You can do some crazy stuff, even though you are limited to level 1 powers, you can still end up with highly skilled minnions. Add a couple Skill Focus & Tallented Feats...
+ Immunities (robots) & regeneration (self repair nanobots), etc..

I even added Extra Limb + Shinking + datalink to create "Chimp bots".
They hung over a keyboard 24hrs a day writing programing code.

Use some of the higher level minnions to serve "utility" duties that you would normally get from your base.. healing, teleportation, library, etc...

Plus with regeneration (E:resurection) you never loose your minnions for long, even if someone blows up your base and everyone in it.
haferka
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:51 pm

palehorse wrote:You mean as a device, Nightlynx? 'Cause that's what I was thinking.

Yes that would be it on the mark - great minds :lol:

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby JELEINEN » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:52 pm

Ryan_Singer wrote:I would use the option of having leadership based on INT and just say that building/maintaining that many robot's / undead / whatever is a function of your PL + how smart you are.

I thought of that too, but all the other things that leadership is dependent on really don't fit either (robots aren't going to care about infamy or uniforms).

Device sounds like probably what I need. So, all the stats and abilities would be bought with the device flaw. Do I use the construct starting values, or build them from the ground up?

Thanks for the replies.
JELEINEN
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:58 pm

Here's the house rule I'd use:

Use the following score, instead of loyalty:

Int modifier
Headquarters feat +2
Wealth feat +1
Moves around a lot -1
+1 for at possessing at least 5 ranks in each appropriate skill (repair, craft robot, science: metallurgy) etc.

You could change the 5 ranks to a 3 or even a 2 or 1 if you want to. I'd use ranks, though, not just the skill bonus, since you already get credit for your int bonus
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Re: I have done just this in the past..

Postby mouthymerc » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:49 am

haferka wrote:[Create them as PL1 constructs. You can do some crazy stuff, even though you are limited to level 1 powers, you can still end up with highly skilled minnions. Add a couple Skill Focus & Tallented Feats...
+ Immunities (robots) & regeneration (self repair nanobots), etc..

You're only limited to PL if you're doing this for PCs. If you give the feat to a villain, the minion's ranks in an ability could exceed Pl if you so wish. Villains are not restricted in the same way PCs are.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby JELEINEN » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:47 pm

mgg wrote:Here's the house rule I'd use:

Use the following score, instead of loyalty:

Int modifier
Headquarters feat +2
Wealth feat +1
Moves around a lot -1
+1 for at possessing at least 5 ranks in each appropriate skill (repair, craft robot, science: metallurgy) etc.

You could change the 5 ranks to a 3 or even a 2 or 1 if you want to. I'd use ranks, though, not just the skill bonus, since you already get credit for your int bonus

This could work. Thanks.
JELEINEN
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Demada » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:16 pm

I usually go with the house rule that the PR limit for Minion's powers is the PL of their master, because he is likely supplying their weapons.
"Power corrupts, but superpower corrupts way better." Scott Adams

"Every time you roll up a dollar bill, you suffocate the president." Marilyn Manson
Demada
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives