Transformation too dehibilitating?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Transformation too dehibilitating?

Postby MagusRogue » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:04 pm

well, is it? compaired to the others, it's just too much. make will saves, but no matter what, you WILL change? dunno, i just think this weakness is too much. what about you guys?
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Doctor Otaku » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:20 pm

Dunno about Transformation being too much. So far, I've used it for just one villain and it works for him just fine.
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby mgg » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:37 pm

You WILL change... into some powerful being. Sure it's a source of pain and embarrassment, but some of the others can kill you.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:43 am

The transformation will take place eventually *so long as the trigger that causes it remains* (key point). If, for example, somebody calms Dr. Banner down before he goes all big and green, then he doesn't change. If my change is triggered by moonlight and I can make Will saves long enough to get indoors, wait for the moon to pass behind the clouds, or whatever, then I'm safe, for the moment.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby MagusRogue » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:04 am

hrm... then one of my players made a bad choice in transformation... he chose a mental one where he reverts to an evil older self in the presence of a certain man, or his technology, or even a picture of him. The problem is, this certain man is the BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) of the game. Thinking of houserulling to where a hero point can allow him to counter the effects of his alternate personality for one round... IE, using heroic power to break free of the brainwashing for one big counter attack. what do you guys think?
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:29 am

MagusRogue wrote:hrm... then one of my players made a bad choice in transformation... he chose a mental one where he reverts to an evil older self in the presence of a certain man, or his technology, or even a picture of him. The problem is, this certain man is the BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) of the game. Thinking of houserulling to where a hero point can allow him to counter the effects of his alternate personality for one round... IE, using heroic power to break free of the brainwashing for one big counter attack. what do you guys think?

Well M-Rogue,
It soujnds like a perfectly acceptable use of a hero point and could make for some very exciting role play within your group! But I would limit this to say his exposure to the tech and picture stuff - but while in the presence I would make it a bit harder to fight this weakness the player has chosen!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby MagusRogue » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:08 am

Nightlynx wrote:Well M-Rogue,
It soujnds like a perfectly acceptable use of a hero point and could make for some very exciting role play within your group! But I would limit this to say his exposure to the tech and picture stuff - but while in the presence I would make it a bit harder to fight this weakness the player has chosen!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx

So.. say spend a Hero Point to make a Will save (dc of the transformation dc) to come out of it for a little in the pressence of the BBEG?
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:14 am

MagusRogue wrote:
Nightlynx wrote:Well M-Rogue,

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx

So.. say spend a Hero Point to make a Will save (dc of the transformation dc) to come out of it for a little in the pressence of the BBEG?

Yes! This gives the Play a chance to get away before "crossing over" to his dark side programing - using Steve's suggestion that he might be able to overcome the weakness in not in the "pressence" as it were. But its really up to you as the GM to make that call as to what would be the most enjoyable to all parties involved in the game!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mgg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:12 am

Heh, I withdraw my previous comment.

That does sound like a particularly debilitating version of Transformation. Notice that if the character has a high will, they can hold off the transformation for a considerable period of time, at least as far as action goes. The character must defeat the BB or run within that period of time.

On the other hand, the hero point solution sounds pretty decent, at least in this character's case.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Carnifex » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:45 am

[quote="MagusRogue"]hrm... then one of my players made a bad choice in transformation... he chose a mental one where he reverts to an evil older self in the presence of a certain man, or his technology, or even a picture of him. ..quote]

I have this image of a swarm of minions wearing t-shirts with the BBEG's face on it...
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mrobviousjosh » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:36 pm

Nah, not when you stack it against Unlucky in my opinion, which no one in ANY of my games has chosen yet. Even as a GM I don't give it to the villains. It's a "Worst Case Scenario" card played every game. Not cool. :evil:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives