Freedom City - Worth the $ if I use my own setting?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Dr. Spectrum » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:40 pm

Heh, it seems all us Edmontonians are looking for a game. Peanutgnome is trying to get a game together sometime. It's just been a while since I've heard anything seems like it's on the backburner right now.
"Nintendo has a lot to answer for"- Batman

"I don't take orders from anyone, pal. I'm the rogue among rogues." -Captain Cold

"Sweet mother Molson!"- Puck
Dr. Spectrum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:26 pm

AstroZoom wrote:Two and a half things:

First, I loved V&V. It was my first superhero game, as well. Great so see others still giving it some love.

Second, I highly recommend Freedom City, even if you don't use it as your setting. I'm running a realistic game set in Chicago, but FC has provided me many ideas for NPC, maps and the like.

I actually have come up with a novel use for the supplement (here comes the "half"). My team has a "Danger Room" that one of the team members has programmed Freedom City into, as it is one of his favorite comic book settings. So whenever the PCs want a relatively low-stakes, four-color adventure, they saunter to the Danger Room and zap themselves into Freedom City!

DUDE!
That is truelly inspired! I really love the idea of setting the "danger room" to Freedom City or some other "Comic" reality! I am sooooo going to use that!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx

PS
I love the Freedom City book and look forward to the up coming Crooks as Green Ronin has produced nothing but top notch stuff for M&M thus far!
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby AstroZoom » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:08 am

Nightlynx ... thanks for the props. I'm particularly proud of the setting I'm using. I'm hoping to post details on it sometime soon.
Yoiks! And awaaaaaaayyy!!!
AstroZoom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AaronUnicorn » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:22 am

I'm running a game set in a different city from Freedom, but sharing the same universe, and I have found Freedom City to be absolutely invaluable. I've taken events from the timeline that have affected the world over (like the Terminus Invasion), I've borrowed NPCs, and the section on "Beyond Freedom" where it talks about Atlantis, Farside City, and (my favorite) Kaiju Island, have all be wonderful to me.

I would recomend Freedom City as a purchase. Even if you're not going to set things there, or sharing the same universe, or use any of the characters, it's a fabulous example of the kind of detail that you should have for your campaign city, IMHO.
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:45 am

AaronUnicorn wrote:I'm running a game set in a different city from Freedom, but sharing the same universe, and I have found Freedom City to be absolutely invaluable. I've taken events from the timeline that have affected the world over (like the Terminus Invasion), I've borrowed NPCs, and the section on "Beyond Freedom" where it talks about Atlantis, Farside City, and (my favorite) Kaiju Island, have all be wonderful to me.

I would recomend Freedom City as a purchase. Even if you're not going to set things there, or sharing the same universe, or use any of the characters, it's a fabulous example of the kind of detail that you should have for your campaign city, IMHO.

Cool!
I have been giving some thought to creating my own city also set in the Freedom Universe - I used to live in St Louis and would model it after that city calling it Gateway City or something along those lines...

I can see where using the Freedom City book would be helpful in that manner and the up coming Crooks book could also work as a sorce for more baddies and the Meta-4 Heroes could be the West coast supers in my setting - with My PC's covering the action in the Midwest!

This way other heros could make "guest" appearances but are far enough removed that they aren't just up the block as it were! Allow for the PC heroes to take the spot light!

Nice idea - very nice!
peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby horned god » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:00 am

I asked that same question. I ended up buying the book. No you don't 'need' the book but it can be very useful when writing up your own villians. If you don't think you want this help then don't get it. It has everything from stats for super-cops, and examples of heros and villians which might be similar to official comic ones, such as argo is much like super-adaptoid so if you plan on making super-adaptoid or something like him and you just don't want to use argo then you have a great example. I plan on making super-adaptoid and using argo though so I have found many uses for my book and am glad I got it. It didn't cost me that much as I got it at a disount along with other stuff.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

re

Postby daredevil » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:36 am

Salut Mcnuggle, moi personnelement j'ai trouvé que ca valait le cout, pour les idées de NPC et comment bâtir un setting =)

Mais comme il t'a été suggéré, je te conseil de le faire venir de amazon.ca c'est beaucoup moins cher que n'importe quel magasin à montréal! (pas difficile être moins cher que le maudit valet de coeur LOL).
daredevil
Bystander
Bystander

Re: re

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:39 am

daredevil wrote:Salut Mcnuggle, moi personnelement j'ai trouvé que ca valait le cout, pour les idées de NPC et comment bâtir un setting =)

Mais comme il t'a été suggéré, je te conseil de le faire venir de amazon.ca c'est beaucoup moins cher que n'importe quel magasin à montréal! (pas difficile être moins cher que le maudit valet de coeur LOL).

WOW :o
For a first post - you sure do know what to say daredevil :P And to think all that french in college hardly ever gets used anymore LOL

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives