Teleport used as escape artist?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby slaughterj » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:37 am

Carnifex wrote:It occured to me last night that snare has 2 effects.

It glues you to the ground (if you aren't flying or something)
and entangles you (-4 dex, -2 to hit)

So I think in general, you could teleport out of the "glued to the ground", but you'd still be entangled.

What if my Snare attack is a mystical leg manacle that when thrown at you, locks around your ankle and anchors itself to the ground? :) If you teleport out of the "glued to the ground", you'd also be freed on the entangled effect as well ;)
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Carnifex » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:15 am

slaughterj wrote:

So I think in general, you could teleport out of the "glued to the ground", but you'd still be entangled.

What if my Snare attack is a mystical leg manacle that when thrown at you, locks around your ankle and anchors itself to the ground? :) If you teleport out of the "glued to the ground", you'd also be freed on the entangled effect as well ;)

Well, I did say in general.

would I be free of the tangled effect if I used strength to break it?
Can you use your Tangle on a flying character?
what if the ground was real soft, like sand, would it still work?

A tangle defined as you describe might have be Flawed to model that sort of special effect. Or maybe enough of the mystical effect lingers, to weak to stop you from moving, but stong enough to slow you down.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:22 pm

Carnifex wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

Well, I did say in general.

would I be free of the tangled effect if I used strength to break it?
Can you use your Tangle on a flying character?
what if the ground was real soft, like sand, would it still work?

A tangle defined as you describe might have be Flawed to model that sort of special effect. Or maybe enough of the mystical effect lingers, to weak to stop you from moving, but stong enough to slow you down.

Sure, but my point was that either effect can be divorced from one another or integrally tied to one another, and so your options for handling Teleporting out of Snare are:
1. leave it up to sfx
2. default it one way or the other
3. default each of the effects one way or the other

#1 sort of works, but if someone can craft something that would get to freely restraint a T-porter, than they would be inclined to do so.
#2 works by defaulting TP to be able to escape freely, but doesn't work by defaulting it not to be able to escape freely, see the Handcuffs/Nightcrawler example
#3 doesn't work either, based on my previous example

Therefore, my position is that Teleport frees you from Snares as a default, but the Snare can buy an Extra to counteract that - in fact, I'd probably allow the Snare to buy a single Extra that could contain Teleporters and Incorporeals, depending on sfx (e.g., Force Field bubble). Everyone seems to agree that Incorporeal would allow one to go free from Snares (except perhaps ones that are the vulnerable effect sfx), and to me, Teleport works similarly.

However, going the route of letting everything be based on sfx does allow one to handle well whether an attack damages the character alone or both the Snare and the character, as well as handling the Teleporter issue. Some might be hard to determine based on sfx though. For example:
1. Webbing Snare: dual damaged or not?, travels or doesn't travel with the Teleporter?
2. Force Field Bubble Snare: presumably dual damaged (or maybe even has to be broken through first), seems odd to travel with the Teleporter, but rather would prohibit the Teleporter from traveling
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Chrono » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:19 pm

Wow, thanks for all the input guys, I'll have to ask my GM what he'll want to do about this in his campaign, I think he might just have me take a power stunt to allow my character to teleport out of handcuffs/snares, etc. :green:

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives