Background Music.

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Background Music.

Postby Dr. Spectrum » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:52 pm

Anyone have ideas for the music that would go well with an M&M game? I was thinking for a modern comic campain. (Modern as in like The Avengers or Justice league and not like say Authority). I know of the obvious movie soundtracks, but any other sujestions would help.
"Nintendo has a lot to answer for"- Batman

"I don't take orders from anyone, pal. I'm the rogue among rogues." -Captain Cold

"Sweet mother Molson!"- Puck
Dr. Spectrum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby palehorse » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:38 pm

Yoko Kanno's music (particularly the Cowboy Bebop stuff) is great.

Jazz works surprisingly well... Miles Davis, John Coltrane... something upbeat but not too intrusive.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:27 am

I've heard great things about the Freedom Force Sound Track. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Strict31 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:44 pm

I have a bias, but I think Paul Oakenfold works well.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby vonDread » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:39 am

For a supers game, thrash, speed, or traditional 80's metal works great. Viking, folk, or epic power metal with fantasy lyrics usually accompanies my D&D games. Image
das Reich der Nacht
Nur Stärke gedeiht, nur stärke erobert, stärke und ehre.
vonDread
Bystander
Bystander

Postby firstfletch » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:29 am

I actually use different theme songs for each villain and each of my players choose their own. Drowning Pool, Godsmack, Korn, System of a Down, and Disturbed are very popular chioces by my PCs.
firstfletch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:31 am

mrobviousjosh wrote:I've heard great things about the Freedom Force Sound Track. :wink:

I agree totally on the Freedom Force soundtrack, just wish I could get it on CD for TT games.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby threshel » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:56 am

vonDread wrote:For a supers game, thrash, speed, or traditional 80's metal works great. Viking, folk, or epic power metal with fantasy lyrics usually accompanies my D&D games. Image

I'll second that!

My low-rent "horns": \m/ \m/
My newly lifted metal emoticon: Image

Actually, since our game is set in "the modern day," we use whatever fits the scene. Jazz, techno, rock, and blues have all made appearances. However, when the going gets rough, the thrash always finds its way to the CD player. :)

J
PS vonDread, that is the coolest emoticon I've ever seen!
Oliver--
--I've finally gotten him angry--
--it's now or never--
threshel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby vonDread » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:45 pm

threshel wrote:vonDread, that is the coolest emoticon I've ever seen!

Isn't it? *politely ignores the mallcore reference above*
das Reich der Nacht
vonDread
Bystander
Bystander

Some tips to the application of music in a game.

Postby MoonHunter » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:17 am

On that note:

Music can be used to set and reinforce a mood or a setting in a game. However, music must be set at a background level. Any louder than that and it becomes a distraction. If players are spending more time focusing on the music than playing the game, something is wrong.

Music is another voice of the game. Just like the GM needs to present information in the right way to preserve the game's feel, music should be selected to reflect the "feel" or ethos of the game. The specific music being played must fit the campaign, the setting, or the action. Music that fits the setting should reflect the kind of game and the environment like any non-player character. Drumming and traditional Japanese folk music were the soundtrack for my Nippon game. The soundtracks for Mortal Kombat were played when we were having combat in a martial arts game. We played chamber music for a Victorian game. Environmental sounds were great when we were in forests or out in the wilds. For a fantasy campaign, classical, celtic folk, or even Beatles could be applicable. During a huge street brawl in a modern-day game Marilyn Manson, Stabbing Westward, or Rage Against the Machine were all in the background. For superheroes, I tend to use compelation sound tracks, so I can run TV theme songs and incedental music, and Movie Sound Tracks. Find the mood you want, choose music to complement it, and play it.

To keep the disruption of maintaining music to a minimum. designate one player as "keeper of the music". It is that player's job to play DJ, with some input from the GM. This allows the GM to keep attention on the game, and to add music to the gaming experience. A keeper maintains a constant flow of music that fits the setting and mood at a low volume level. To assist this, most keepers create a "playlist" of what songs/ tracks on what albums were good for what kind of situations/ moments. The keeper is rewarded with extra experience or karma points because their efforts enhance the game.

So you are all hyped about music in your game. However, you complain that you don't have all this music. Where do you get "gaming music"? You would be surprised on how much "gaming" music you already have, from movie sound tracks and your troop's music collections. You can pick up more in any music or video store, and most local libraries. The internet is still a great source for free music, if you are careful. Just do not spend too much money on your music. It is just another game prop. If you need help finding appropriate music, music store clerks, media librarians, and some internet user groups, are great sources of information.

I would like to mention my favorite sources of music. Movie soundtracks are great sources of game music. The pieces all follow the same feel and have pieces for a variety of mood. (The compilation albums for a given time period or TV show themes also work well.) If the game is set in a historical period, use traditional music for that area. If the game is fantasy or sci fi, pick a musical feel and stick with it. Over the years, we have used Celtic, bluegrass, techno/dance, Native American/ tribal music, and Beatles tunes, to great effect. Environmental music/ sounds CDs, Fresh Aire, and classical/ opera music, round out the field.

Music is one of those you need to "gather" over time, rather than just grab in one bunch. The tool to facilitate that is the little black book. As a GM, you function much like an author. Like an author, keep a notebook with you. Record interesting things, observations, or ideas as you encounter them. Don't trust your memory. Trust your pen. Record descriptions (scenery, interesting people, the name of stores, music lyrics, turns of phrase) that can be used as little nuggets of descriptive goodness in your campaign. Record plot and story ideas and use them as springboards for future game plots. The little book will help you improve your game craft and your campaign.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
Now posting 1100+ RPG Tips @ www.openroleplaying.org
MoonHunter
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ether » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:43 am

If you can find it... you might look into purchasing the "soundtrack" to the Wheel of Time novels (some of the songs were present in the video game that came out a while back). As a whole, it has a certain heroic feel, with a Celtic flair. It also has electric guitars. :)

MoonHunter: I like the "keeper of the music" idea. I might try that...
Ether
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Some tips to the application of music in a game.

Postby vonDread » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:22 pm

MoonHunter wrote:Music can be used to set and reinforce a mood or a setting in a game. However, music must be set at a background level. Any louder than that and it becomes a distraction. If players are spending more time focusing on the music than playing the game, something is wrong.

If everyone is enjoying themselves, then there is no problem. I've noticed that a lot of gamers I talk to take their roleplaying way woo seriously. If my game is interrupted for a couple seconds cause someone wants to appreciate the sweet ass riff in the live version of Blind Guardian's "Majesty" at 2:35 in, no one in my group cares. We're all having fun, so it's all good. Image
das Reich der Nacht
vonDread
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives