A few questions...

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

A few questions...

Postby Grumpy Twigs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:19 pm

On the strike power... does it convert entirely your unarmed strikes you lethal damage, or only up to your strike rank in lethal damage?

On unarmed lethal damage/power stacking... I'm playing a super speed character with mach one punch. I figure this is all nonlethal damage. If I buy one rank of strike (assuming it can convert all my unarmed damage to lethal), do I not gain the +1 to unarmed damage from it, because I already have a damage bonus equal to my PL from mach one punch?

If strike doesn't convert my damage to lethal, can I buy one rank of Natural Weapon and just say it's my fists/feet (I wanna be a martial arts guy, I don't want claws or nothin)?

Could I take natural weapon as an extra for Super Speed? I figure my guy deals the extra damage simply because he's moving his arm so fast when he throws a punch.

If I want to increase my unarmed damage, and I've already reached my PL in bonuses from powers, is the raising my strength the only other way to get more damage? It's against my character concept to have 20 STR, but I want to deal as much damage as possible. >:)

Also, is there any way to raise my attack bonus beyond BAB, Str/Dex Mod, and Attack focus?

Thanks.
Grumpy Twigs
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Daywalker » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:31 pm

Strike only converts the ranks you have in it to lethal. Damage stuff doesn't stack usually. Like Super Strength and Strike wouldn't stack and so I don't think the same would be true for mach one punch. You can take any power as an extra as long as you have a good reason for it, just check with your GM. I don't know about your last question there, sorry.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Carnifex » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:36 pm

I would think they would stack, and of course be limited by PL. But I don't have the book handy.

I could see a GM ruling that you only do Lethal with Strike (if Strike does lethal, don't know off hand) if you only use Strike and ST ranks for damage.

The Accurate Attack feat gives you a bonus to hit, but you do less damage.

Luck can give you a bonus to hit. Not sure if there are stackig limit issues here
So can being smaller than Medium. I've heard that Size mods aren't subject to stacking limits, but I might be wrong.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Re: A few questions...

Postby Anthony » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:38 pm

Grumpy Twigs wrote:On the strike power... does it convert entirely your unarmed strikes you lethal damage, or only up to your strike rank in lethal damage?

Grumpy Twigs wrote:On unarmed lethal damage/power stacking... I'm playing a super speed character with mach one punch. I figure this is all nonlethal damage. If I buy one rank of strike (assuming it can convert all my unarmed damage to lethal), do I not gain the +1 to unarmed damage from it, because I already have a damage bonus equal to my PL from mach one punch?

Correct. In this case, rather than buying natural weapon, just take the 'dual damage' feat.

Grumpy Twigs wrote:If I want to increase my unarmed damage, and I've already reached my PL in bonuses from powers, is the raising my strength the only other way to get more damage?

Well, there's power attack, and there's surprise strike.

Grumpy Twigs wrote:It's against my character concept to have 20 STR, but I want to deal as much damage as possible. >:)

Um...why? Having everyone max out their combat potential really doesn't make for a better supers game.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Strict31 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:43 pm

There are a few feats beyond attack focus that can boost your attack bonus. Accurate Attack, All-Out-Attack spring immediately to mind, but of course, they have their limits and downsides. If you're an agile character, Attack Finesse may prove useful. If you're in a group, the leader can take Leadership and give you a further boost. Also, to add damage to a hit, try Power Attack.

As far as taking Nat Weapon as an extra for Super-Speed, I'd say it's ultimately up to the GM. It might be a stretch, generally speaking, but it's all in how you define Super-Speed. For example, if my character's Super-Speed comes as a result of his eight arms and legs moving quickly, then the GM may allow my to tip each lib with a razor sharp claw. Or may allow me to use my limbs as heavy bludgeoning tools.

But otherwise, Nat Weapon is pretty much specifically limited to weapons along the lines of claws or horns or fangs or tusks...that sort of thing. If you're just using fists, then if I were the GM, I'd rule that you'd have to take Strike.

Mach-One punch is basically Strike in a different package, though. Ask your GM if he'll simply allow you to let it do lethal damage, or purchase Lethal Damage as a Stunt (a la Super Strength).

As with all things, PL limits figure in when considering stacking. So, as long as you don't max out your Mach One punch extra, you could add however many levels of Strike as you wish, to your PL of course. Hope this was helpful.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:42 am

Just to clarify, according to the description, Strike does stack with your strength damage.
Add your Strike power rank as a bonus to damage with melee attacks.

However,
This bonus does not stack with the bonus garanted by the Natural Weapon or Weapon powers.
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Carnifex » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:52 am

The Fifth Wanderer wrote:Just to clarify, according to the description, Strike does stack with your strength damage.
Add your Strike power rank as a bonus to damage with melee attacks.

However,
This bonus does not stack with the bonus garanted by the Natural Weapon or Weapon powers.

That's interesting.

I had done up Wolverine once, with 5 ranks of Strike (representing martial arts) and 5 ranks of Natural wpns (for his claws) and figured they'd stack. Strike I figured was going Stun, Claws was lethal only, so if he wanted not to kill (Or to not have big ol' claws in sight) he could only use strike

I guess the only way to do what I wanted to do is buy 10 ranks of strike, and give 5 of them obvious, or something
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives