Neo's Marvel Conversions (updated 7/31/03)

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:48 am

mrobviousjosh wrote:Hey Neo, I know you've probably been swamped, like myself lately, I like the quote I've seen you use "real life probably caught up with him" but I was wondering how the PDF Sentinel conversions were coming along with the others. I remember you'd statted them out already but hadn't converted the files yet. Well, just wanting a heads up so I can get it from your site when they're ready. Keep up the great work! :green:

Heya bud

Yeah I've been busy as heck lately, though all the sentinels have been converted on paper at least and just need writing up onto my Publisher template ready for me to convert to PDF.

I have some playtesting reports I need to sort this weekend but If I can i'll try to get some done and put up on the site for you.
Mark "Neo" Howe

"Et Semel Emissum Volat Irevocabile Verbum"
http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html
Neo
Henchman
Henchman

About Wolverine...

Postby Legion16 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:04 am

Having read the Origins book, I noticed that you said something about him "growing" the bone claws. This is inaccurate. He already had the bone claws. They sprouted when he was a teen ager. I still find it amazing that he went from a spoiled little rich kid son of a wealthy land owner, to the honorable bestial samurai that we know today. Although, if you read the story and look at Rose, you'll understand his attraction to Jean Grey.
We are Legion, for we are MANY!
Legion16
Bystander
Bystander

Re: About Wolverine...

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:13 am

Legion16 wrote:Having read the Origins book, I noticed that you said something about him "growing" the bone claws. This is inaccurate. He already had the bone claws. They sprouted when he was a teen ager. I still find it amazing that he went from a spoiled little rich kid son of a wealthy land owner, to the honorable bestial samurai that we know today. Although, if you read the story and look at Rose, you'll understand his attraction to Jean Grey.

The origins books are pretty new (and still ongoing if my last Trade magazines advert is anything to go by), I was going on what information had been revealed previously. Obviously the origins series author had a different take, though whether or not Marvel stick to it for continuity purposes remaisn to be seen :) They tend to contradict themselves quite a bit.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:05 pm

mrobviousjosh wrote:Hey Neo, I know you've probably been swamped, like myself lately, I like the quote I've seen you use "real life probably caught up with him" but I was wondering how the PDF Sentinel conversions were coming along with the others. I remember you'd statted them out already but hadn't converted the files yet. Well, just wanting a heads up so I can get it from your site when they're ready. Keep up the great work! :green:

Here you go bud as promised.

http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk1.pdf
This one is included again as it has had a couple of corrections made and a new picture added.

http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk2.pdf
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk3.pdf
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk4.pdf
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk5.pdf
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_mk6.pdf
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_omegahk
http://neo-innovation.com/Supers_Files/mm_sentinel_omega_exec.pdf

There you go enough Sentinel's to please even the most hardened mutant hating GM :D

Mast Mold and Nimrod will be added to the list as soon as I get a chance to write them up, they are already statted on paper however.

also note these are only available via the direct links atm, as I haven't had a chance to add them to show on my Webpages supers page yet, so if people are looking for the download links you will only find the Mk1 still on the supers page even though the files are really there :)

anyway Enjoy!
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:56 pm

WHOO HOO!!!!! Thanks Neo! I'll put 'em to good use and let my group know who to thank for the writeups. :D
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:53 am

Those sentinals look great.

My only question is, does anyone have info on which ones where used when?
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:40 am

DrObvious wrote:Those sentinals look great.

My only question is, does anyone have info on which ones where used when?

Very First Sentinels Appearance : Sentinels - X-Men #14, 11/65

Other Appearances I know of are:-

Marvel Super Heroes (vol. 3) Summer '91 (#6) (Roy Thomas & Dann Thomas;
Rich Buckler/Jim Sanders)
(July 1991)
Featuring: X-Men (Rogue, Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, Havok, Psylocke),
Doc Samson, X-Men (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Jean Grey) (in
flashback), Polaris (in flashback), Avengers (Vision, Iron Man,
Hawkeye, Captain America, Thor, Scarlet Witch (in flashback),
Cynthia Chalmers
Villains: Abomination, Sentinels Mark II (#2, #3, #5, #10),
Larry Trask (in flashback), Sentinels Mark I (Master Mold, et al.) (in
flashback), Judge Chalmers (in flashback)
Continuity: Post UXM #245; post UXM Annual #13; post Wolverine #16;
post Fantastic Four Annual #22; flashback to UXM #14-16 & #57-59;
flashback to Avengers #102-104; continued in MSH (vol. 3) #7

Marvel Super Heroes (vol. 3) Fall '91 (#7) (Roy Thomas & Dann Thomas;
Larry Alexander/Harry Candelario)
(Oct 1991)
Featuring: X-Men (Psylocke, Rogue, Wolverine, Colossus, Havok, Storm),
Cynthia Chalmers, Judge Chalmer (in flashback), Doc Samson
Villains: Sentinels Mark II (#2, #3, #5, #10) (all destroyed),
Abomination
Continuity: Between MSH (vol. 3) #6 & 8; flashback to between
UXM #56 & 57

Marvel Super Heroes (vol. 3) Summer '92 (#10) (story #1) (Bill Mantlo;
Mike Mignola/Armando Gil)
(July 1992)
Featuring: Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver (in flashback),
X-Men (Angel, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast) (in flashback),
Avengers (Captain America, Hawkeye [both in flashback],
Giant-Man [Hank Pym], Wasp, Black Knight [Dane Whitman], Thor,
Iron Man, Swordsman, Black Widow, Hercules [rest in thought bubble]),
townspeople
Villains: Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Toad, Magneto, Mastermind) (in
thought bubble), zombies, Inquisitors
Continuity: Flashbacks to UXM #16 & Avengers #16
Comments: Issue also includes pin-ups of Wolverine (??/??);
X-Men (Cyclops, Angel, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Ariel [Shadowcat],
Nightcrawler), Dr. Doom, Magneto, Sentinels (Charles Vess/Vess)
(story #3) (Chris Claremont; Mike Vosburg/Vosburg)
Featuring: Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), Iron Man, Mike Barnett (dead),
SHIELD (Jasper Sitwell), John Jellicoe, Nancy Jellicoe
Villains: Sabertooth, Mr. Kramer
Reprinted: Sabertooth Classics #12
Continuity: Post UXM #126; continued in MSH (vol. 3) #11
Comments: Originally slated to be published as Ms. Marvel #24

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comics Magazine #3
Apr 2001, 22 pgs., $2.99
"When Strike These Sentinels!"
Larsen/Stephenson/DeFalco, Scioli(p.16)/Giffen(p.17,20), Timm(p.16)/Gordon(p.17,20), RS & Comicraft (cover: ?)

Dr. Doom reprogams the Sentinels at the X-Men Mansion to attack NY City. The FF & X-Men battle the Sentinels with the help of Spidey, DD, and Dr. Strange.
cameo: (pgs.16-17,20) Daredevil joins Spidey & Dr. Strange in battling some Sentinels.

Generation X #29

August, 1997 - Gil's first appearance, and more of Skin's past is hinted at, Skin appears on cover (gray skin, light gray hair, blank eyes). Skin and the gang hit the streets of L.A., fitting in perfectly in the freak filled Venice Beach. In Venice, Skin hooks up with his cousin Gil, and the kids crash at his place for a bit. Skin decides now is as good a time as any to call his former friend Tores, who comes to visit, along with several of her armed goons. Tores reveals that she was told Skin was still alive by the agents of Operation Zero Tolerance, who promptly join the party themselves, as Prime Sentinels. The Prime Sentinels attack, destroying Gil's home, and revealing that Tores is herself a mutant. Tores reluctantly leads the group to safety. Elsewhere Jubilee continues her struggle against Bastion.

First Omega Series Sentinels appearance I believe was Marvel Comics Omega Sentinels, q.v. X-Men #66, August 1997

EARTH-Battleworld (Jen(shulk)+Clint Barton,Bravado,Crusader,Chokehold,Mary(titania)+Carl Creel,Dr.Doom, Firefly, Dirk Garthwaite, Gator, Hulk, Klaw, Malefactor, Molecula, Mustang, Ororo+Logan+infant, Professor,Raze,Marsha(volcana)+Owen Reece, Steve and Carol(rogue) Rogers, Sentinels, Spider-Man/symbiote, Thor, Torrent, Watcher)
- divergent reality in which heroes and some villains were trapped on battleworld following the secret wars,ultimately they returned to earth to find it under sentinel rule <connection to Earth-Days of Future Past?>
-div. Secret Wars I#12
--What If? II#114

EARTH-Days of Future Past (Ahab,Black Air,Magnus,Nimrod, Omega Sentinels,Phoenix/Rachel Summers,Kate Pryde-Rasputin,
Excalibur(Brian Braddock,Douglock,Karma,Meggan,Psylocke,Tangerine,Peter Wisdom,Wolfsbane),
XMen(Col,Kate PR,Storm,Wolv-all dead)
- divergent earth where brotherhood of evil mutants killed sen.kelly,resulted in rapid mutant paranoia,development of sentinel army which took over world,mutants placed in prison camps
-diverge Uncanny X-Men#142
--Uncanny X-Men#141 (Cable II#71? Wolverine: Days of Future Past#1-3, Unlimited Access#2?, UXM141,142, Excalibur I#66,67, 94

EARTH-Days of Future Past variant (Brightwind,Cannonball,Lila Cheney,Mirage,Sentinels,[Dyson Sphere]
-alt.timeline similar to dofp,visited by new mutants while fleeing magus
—New Mutants I#48(50
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:14 am

You know your comics, at least X-Men, a lot better than I do. Way to go Neo! :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:16 am

Thats impressive.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby CurtWarner » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:12 pm

OOOOO!!! OOOOOO!!! OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Neo >:)
"You couldn't win a race!!! YOU couldn't win a game of marbles with a TWELVETOED MYOPIC RHINOCEROUS!!!!!"---The Love Bug
CurtWarner
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:28 pm

CurtWarner wrote:OOOOO!!! OOOOOO!!! OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Neo >:)

LOL, now why do I get the impresison thier will be a lot of players not GM's out there that are going

"Yeah... :evil: THANKS! Neo" <spit>

:green: :green: :green:
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:25 pm

I am a player, and I should be so lucky as to get stomped to death by a sentinal.

DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:20 pm

I'd take a Sentinel death to a thug death any day of the week. :D
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby horned god » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:07 pm

Why does the sentinel have a +18 damage save and +12 protection at rank 18? That is 28 points of damage reduction. X-men regularly blow apart those things. I have not seen your X-men in depth but for example, the protection/save of the sentinel should be based on whatever damage Scott Summers eye blast is. If it you give him 9, 10, 11, 12, whatever it is, it needs to be at least one more than the protection of the sentinel. Is Cyclops eye beams rank 13 at least or more like rank 15? Wow powerful eyebeams.

I will make up my own sentinel. Since cyclops can be made up as a PL 9 character or if the GM wants Pl 10 to make him the same as the other X-men which is best for a real group of players then at best his eye-beams are rank 10. You could make him more but you'd simply have a lot of extra pp to add stuff that should not be added, or else break the cap rule and grant him a bonus more than his PL allows. Depends on how you approach it. I made mine PL 9, with rank 9 Energy blast, then later rank 10, and thus PL 10, autofire, rapid shot, multifire, move by attack and all else I could think of and giving him more would just make him too much hence PL 10 is about all I can see him being. At first some X-Men like wolverine ended up Pl 11 but its not hard to shave off 15 pp to make them Pl 10 and after doing it it actually works better I think.

Perhaps a rank 12 sentinel for me would be better. Rank 6 protection and +6 damage save. Can wolverine reguarly tear holes into those things? Answer that question and it will help determine how much protection and how much damage save you give. My wolverine being PL 10 has 6 rank Weapon (claws) and Penetrating attack x2 (claws) as his claws aren't the mighty weapons people might think yet they can do some penetrating thus vs rank 9 protection or less he can punch holes into peopel rank 10 or more he comes out to zero. Sure if he would have been left at rank 11 I still would have kept his damage / penetrating attack the same but if for some odd reason I made him rank 12 then and only then would I give him another level of penetrating attack ie. thus x3 but not raise his base damage.

Since he ha rank 6 weapon and a strength of 20 that means he does 11 damage, which is high actually now that I think about it and a case for lowering it could be made but that is what it is and I can live with that. He has penetrating attack x2 so that vs a sentinel with rank 12 protection it would be rank 8 and the damage would spill over by 3 and thus the sentinel as you wrote it would have a +15 damage save still. Ofcourse that is my wolverine write up and I can't see him being more than PL 12 maximum, PL 11 if someone just wants and PL 10 is best as it means he is the same PL as the others and since at PL 10 he has a 26 damage DC he can throw on someone, that is mighty already so I really would not want more.

If the sentinel were protection 6 and 6 damage save then the sentinel would be at -3 on the damage save basically and more in line with a wolverine able to tear holes into that thing but ofcourse the GM playing the Sentinel could simply roll decent and prevent this but I like those numbers better.

Anyways just my opinion, giving some feedback.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Novac » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:24 pm

Hey Horned God, you got your PL 10s posted on the net somewhere? If so, toss up a URL :)
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:40 pm

horned god wrote:Why does the sentinel have a +18 damage save and +12 protection at rank 18? That is 28 points of damage reduction. X-men regularly blow apart those things. I have not seen your X-men in depth but for example, the protection/save of the sentinel should be based on whatever damage Scott Summers eye blast is. If it you give him 9, 10, 11, 12, whatever it is, it needs to be at least one more than the protection of the sentinel. Is Cyclops eye beams rank 13 at least or more like rank 15? Wow powerful eyebeams.

K firstly these are constructs and not characters, hence Damage save is Hardness + anything else to a maximum of thier Power Level.

This isn't 28 points of DR, it is a reduction of Damage by thier protection (12 in your example), and then a Damage save to see if they resist the remainder, which is nothing like a DR of 28.

As for it being related to Scott Summers eye blasts, he has varying level of eye blast from small blast to mountain smashing full on blast.. it isn't a static amount, which is why he can be seen to blast holes in Sentinels. also i'm not sure what version of Summers your thinking of but don't confuse cartoon Sentinel blasting action, with the more drawn out and tougher fights with the Sentinels they have in the comics.

And I know you think PL13 is a lot, but it isn't PL10 is the starting character it isn't a high level character, thus level thirteen is like a level 3-5 in conventional D&D, which is hardly uber. Check the iconics out in the rulebook they all commonly have +10 in thier powers, +13 isn't a humungous power gap between them.

I will make up my own sentinel. Since cyclops can be made up as a PL 9 character or if the GM wants Pl 10 to make him the same as the other X-men which is best for a real group of players then at best his eye-beams are rank 10. You could make him more but you'd simply have a lot of extra pp to add stuff that should not be added, or else break the cap rule and grant him a bonus more than his PL allows. Depends on how you approach it. I made mine PL 9, with rank 9 Energy blast, then later rank 10, and thus PL 10, autofire, rapid shot, multifire, move by attack and all else I could think of and giving him more would just make him too much hence PL 10 is about all I can see him being. At first some X-Men like wolverine ended up Pl 11 but its not hard to shave off 15 pp to make them Pl 10 and after doing it it actually works better I think.

I think your kinda missing the point of what I do, as i've explained before I do not make low level, watered down versions of the Heroes and Villains I present, instead I provide accurate conversions from the MSH system that have all the abilities they have displayed and at the levels they have displayed them.

for example you believe your PL9 eye blast Cyclops is accurate, and if it works for your games and your preferred level of play and you don't mind shoe horning your creation to fit that then thats great, kudos to you but thats not what I'm about.

For example Cyclops can blow a hole through a mountain with his eye blast... its mentioned in the movie, as something of an easter egg like wolverines yellow and black spandex costume comment, as Cyclops HAS blown a hole through a mountain in the X-men comics. Now your PL 9 eyeblast would get through exactly 2 inches of stone.. which is going to take your guy a fair while to blow through that mountain. Now obviously such things aren't always possible to accurately represent, but this gives you an idea of your assumed accurate power level compared to the "actual" power level of cyclops.

So for me a sentinal would have like rank 7 or 8 protection, cuz does it not say anywhere from remarkable to amazing in the book? In my version Sue Storm for example has rank 9 force field which I set as monsterous. She is rank 12 though as she has a lot of stunts and extras along with her other abilities invisibility and flight. Thus I can see a sentinal being rank 15 or so and if 8 protection then at best +7 damage save I would even go as low as rank 6 protection and thus +9 damage save as that makes more sense.

See above.

At Pl 10 wolverine has 6 damage claws with Penetrating attack x2 in my version, he does not actually do loads of damage with those things and at that rank it means if you have rank 10 protection he will come out exactly to zero and thus can't hurt you unless he finds a way to do more damage but I don't think he should have power attack instead he should have rapid strike. I know as a gamer your like 'its only 2 points, take power attack' but it makes no real sense hence I did not give it to him but assume any real gamer making this character as his own would do so, he or she is a gamer after all.

Again your assumption is based on you believing PL10 is accurate for Wolverine, but it isn't, the comic Wolverine is higher. To get a PR alone for the Adamantium in him of its relevant hardness 20 (or more) would require his PL be high of that level at least. Or do you think PL 10 is correct meaning his claws are as hard as Iron??? You see we can go at this all day but there isn't really much point. Your creations work for you cool. But like I'll keep saying till folks listen, that isn't what I'm about, I don;t make watered down, low PL versions of things, I make accurate conversions with accuarate capabilities of level equal to or as closely represented by, as I can get them. When I convert a character I give it what It has at the levels it has it and its PL determines itself, I may think some are high, you may think some are high.. but they are only that way, because they ARE that way :green: I don;t know how else to explain it.

In my version Iron Man has armor +10, and is rank 15 (again lots of extras rather than simply a couple and rank 15 armor).

see above

Still I might see the sentinal with a hardness of 8 or 9. They aren't super-alloy or anything, and in the comics I see X-men blow them apart within seconds hence they aren't really that powerful and in my opinion should be more so than in the comics (ie bad comic book design as they are more like a story plot device rather than a true threat to be faced unless you have an army of them'. Which means perhaps they could be like rank 12 and more like those Warplanes we see in Time of Crisis which are PL 10. Give them rank 6 protection and +6 damage save and you'll probably still be fine but end up with numbers which would allow bobby drake to freeze them, cyclops to blow their head (s) off in one blow or blow large sections of them off like he does, and have colossus mangle them potentially.

Thats the thing though isn;t it, in one issue you may see Cyclops blast one to smithereens in a single hit, or Wolverine put one down with one swipe of his claws... but there have also been issues where Wolverine and eveyrone else have been disabled just as easily by the Sentinels, where Sentinels have wasted heaps of Omega Level Mutants, Where an entire country (Genosha), which was ihabited mostly by Super Powered mutants was wiped out to the last person by Old pieced together Sentinels (not even top of the range models)... and thats a country with the most powerful Magnetic Mutant in charge, who wields the entire Magnetic energy of the planet... and what killed him??? Old Metal Robots. My point is you cannot look at one instance and say right that must be the case, this is only this tough and this is this feeble, because the next month the rules have changed. which is why I use the fixed statistics of MSH for conversion purposes expanded upon by other important events and additional displays of new uses for powers from the Comis.

Perhaps your X-Men numbers are on par with Pl 18 sentinels ie your X-Men are like rank 15 or something like that, and rank 12 protection doesn't scare them much. I don't know but the numbers to me seem too high.

See Above they're not high, they're accurate.

If you'd like a PL10 Sentinel I can certainly make you one, but it won;t BE a Sentinel it will merely be a PL10 Facsimile of one
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby horned god » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:35 pm

I meant +28 = 12 protection + 18 damage save. I know its a DC 18 + 15 = 33 damage save minus the fact you already reduced the damage by 12.

PL 10 is a lot, its equal to Level 10, and PL 13 is not level 3 - 5. Its more like level 13. Why do you think most heros listed in teh book are PL 9 to PL 16 they are level 9 to level 16 or more in AD&D terms.

If hardness is added to the damage reduction, which I'm not saying its not, it might be, haven't made a true construct yet, but if so then that is its protection. If you say that it has a hardness of 12, that is its protection rank 12. I would not give it protection beyond that.

Instead I would give it its hardness + a damage save if that were the case.

You don't need to make up a PL 10 sentinel for me. I am perfectly capable of making one myself.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:19 am

horned god wrote:You don't need to make up a PL 10 sentinel for me. I am perfectly capable of making one myself.

Well Neo -
On behave of those of us GMs who don't have the time to throw together Sentinels at any PL here's a big thank you - I for one really like you work, I am aslo very glad that you take the time to share it with us. While I agree it is possiable to create a clone of nearly any character concept at PL10 - I also sie with you on the fact that its shoehorning and really just that a clone. This is just my 2 cents in the matter!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby JohnShaft » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:26 am

Sentinels in my campaign are PL 13. Nimrod is PL 18. Master Mold is PL 18. While everyone here has ideas for writeups, the best we should all do is respect everyone's opinion. As far as Cyclops's energy beam goes....Power Attack anybody? Same with Wolverine. We've seen what happens when you throw Gen-X at Sentinels. If you make the Sentinels too weak then your players have nothing to fear and too powerful that your players will die every game.
Remember me?
JohnShaft
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:41 am

horned god wrote:I meant +28 = 12 protection + 18 damage save. I know its a DC 18 + 15 = 33 damage save minus the fact you already reduced the damage by 12.

Again your making out like that is huge, even the example in the rulebook for Damage saves cites a DC29 example. What you think is high powered really isn't all that much. The Sentinels aren't easily damaged, but they are more than possible to be damaged.

PL 10 is a lot, its equal to Level 10, and PL 13 is not level 3 - 5. Its more like level 13. Why do you think most heros listed in teh book are PL 9 to PL 16 they are level 9 to level 16 or more in AD&D terms.

no it isn't, PL 13 for M&M (higher Powered) would be 3-5 in D&D because one is Higher powered setting and one is lower powered... it isn't a straight comparison, which is why it wouldn't be 9-16.
If you imagine both games as the same power level, as I suggested M&M to D&D then what we see as PL13 would only be 3-5, however if you compared D&D to M&M and not the other way around as I did, then your 9-16 may well be right.. but that isn't what I suggested.

If hardness is added to the damage reduction, which I'm not saying its not, it might be, haven't made a true construct yet, but if so then that is its protection. If you say that it has a hardness of 12, that is its protection rank 12. I would not give it protection beyond that.

Hardnes replaces Damage save, it doesn't stack with it. All constructs do not have Con scores or Fort saves etc.., which is why they get thier Hardness as thier Damage save. Hardness 12 is slightly toughter than normal iron, which is not the Special Titanium material that is used in constructing Sentinels, which is between Steel (Hardness 15) and Super Alloys (Hardness 20), still don't take my word for it its all in the rulebook pg. 139

Instead I would give it its hardness + a damage save if that were the case.

check the page above it doesn't stack with it, it is replaced by it. If thier is a hardness then it works as the Damage save, not with it.
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Ether » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:19 am

Because I'm something of a slacker and I'm supposed to be doing household chores right now, I decided to consult the Marvel Universe RPG.

According to the book, Sentinels have about 5 points worth of "Toughness" in addition to what effectively functions as a Force filed at level four. Now, for those unfamiliar with the system (or less familiar, i should say, considering that it is far too loose for anyone to get a solid grip on), this means that a Sentinel automatically has 5 pts of defense to attack (due to the toughness) and can add up to 4 more pts for the force field (if they set the power running at its full rating).

Cyclops has an his optic blast at a power level of 9 (for those interested, in the MURPG, that's powerful enough to bring down a skyscraper or destroy Osmium steel).

So I suppose the Sentinel vs. X-Men question has a lot to do with Sentinel's choices. In the MURPG, a Sentinel who maintains the force field has less energy to work with in other areas, while the Toughness rating is automatic. So, in that particular game, a blast from Cyclops or a slash from Wolverine may or may not do damage, based entirely on whether or not the Sentinels put "Stones" into their Force FIeld power (or any other applicable defense), as opposed to doing something else with them. But, in theory, a Sentinel COULD shrug off Cyke's mightiest blast.

Take everything said here with a grain of salt though, as there are a number of issues many have with the stats presented in the MURPG (for instance, Cyclops has a higher Leadership score than Captain America; Dr. Strange could likely take on Gambit in hand-to-hand combat, all powers aside). It's a good game though, if anyone's thinking of buying it. A good read at the very least.

Not really taking sides here, just offering information (read: putting off doing real work.).
:wink:
(Sorry, Neo. Didn't mean to take up so much room...)
Ether
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:07 am

Ether wrote:
Take everything said here with a grain of salt though, as there are a number of issues many have with the stats presented in the MURPG (for instance, Cyclops has a higher Leadership score than Captain America; Dr. Strange could likely take on Gambit in hand-to-hand combat, all powers aside). It's a good game though, if anyone's thinking of buying it. A good read at the very least.

Not really taking sides here, just offering information (read: putting off doing real work.).
:wink:
(Sorry, Neo. Didn't mean to take up so much room...)

Hi Ether

Things are quite open to interpretationa s you point out in some regards, and I've heard before the the MU RPG has quite a few consistencies.

The covnersions I do come from the FASERIP Marvel Universe RPG primarily but also from many many years of reading far too many comics :D

I don't really think its a matter of choosing sides as both Horned God and myself are correct in different ways. I go for comic accuracy and he goes for game blance to suit his home game. As I said previously if his lower PL creation works for him then great but that isn't what I'm about. What I objected too was his implication my work was wrong or over powered when in fact it isn;t it just isn't done how "he" does things, which is not the same at all.

anway thanks for your feedback Ether, don't let the boss catch you :wink:
Mark "Neo" Howe

Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby horned god » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:43 pm

Neo is right each set of write ups each of us may do is valid. We just might use different assumptions when making them. I think that is the real value of the write up's if someone can't use them as is, then at least they can use them as examples. I think setting how you want your final defense, attack and other scores to end up results in large part to if you can use a particular person's write up.

Novac: My write up's are not on the web yet. I don't have a website but in the near future I was going to look for web-space to upload a number of them. I have finished the east and west coast avengers (about 14 avengers or so), defenders, X-Men (about 16 x-men), many lone heros like powerman, ironfist, spiderman, daredevil, etc. and now am working on villians and have done ones like juggernaut, abomination, kingpin, etc.

When I am finished with many more I will start to post via uploading the entire file to the web rather than simply transfering the information into a post. Anyways that answers your question.

I also will be playtesting some of the heros and villians and have done some of that already. I design them all so that they can be played as well as be npc's. Meaning anyone is free to pick up my PL 13 captain america an play it so i design it with the 'would I really want to GM that character' approach.

I gave for example, a power to Quasar which after playtesting it found it was a massive headache and thus later altered it and greatly reduced how it worked, yet he is a viable Pl 15 character quite playbel, and even more so now that I modified something that could have been abusive before.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives