Updated M&M Character Sheet!

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby simpson » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Yeah, sorry about that. I had forgotten to set the print area, too.

Fixed that, and the page now fits to 1pg. Updates posted...

Oh, and add your Super str ranks to extra lifting to get it to calculate. I was smoking crack and thought it was an extra...

Thanks!
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby faenril » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:40 am

Steve Kenson in another Post wrote:The book. Characters can lift up to a heavy load overhead, they can only lift a max load off the ground to about waist level and stagger around with it.

Perhaps you should correct this on your sheet ;) ?
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Lifting

Postby Praetor » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:27 pm

Simpson according to the Rule book, unless there is an erratta I didn't read each rank in Lifting doubles your lifting capacity. You were just adding the ranks to the lifting capacity I fixed it by modifying Data J7 and H7 with the following formula

=(POWER(2,$F$2))*(IF('Abilities & Combat'!$Q$4>0,(POWER(2,'Abilities & Combat'!$Q$4)),1))

If there is an errata on lifting and I am doing it wrong, please let me know!
Praetor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby simpson » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:16 am

coolness. I'll get these fixes into the next update.

THANKS!
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tymminator » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:40 am

Looking forward to your update!:)

Thing is, I think this MIGHT be the last update you will have to make. I think all glitches have been covered.

This is seriously the best character builder sheet I have seen for a D20 type game (I could only WISH you would make something simular for the Star Wars RPG >:) )

Again thanks and keep up the great work!!
Tymminator
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Praetor » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:42 am

I think Star Wars would be a lot more difficult to do, but not impossible. The amount of classes they have would be he hard part.

I was inspired by The effort Simpson has put into this Character Creation sheet, so I began workin on a similar one for the Buffy RPG. Not sure when it will be finished as I am also working on a Pendragon one.

But to keep this post on Topic

Simpson your Mutants and Masterminds Character Generator is Awesome.

Alvin
Praetor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby arcady » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:13 am

Through a lot of haggling in Homesite, and messing around with excel, I've managed to shave the HTML outputs of Simpson's sheet down to 85-90kb

First, start by selecting only the cells you want to output to HTML, and saving to HTML the selected area only. That shaves off 100-150kb's of empty table cells (otherwise it makes blank cells for excel spaces out to zzz or something...).

Now make a backup of your HTML file. :P

Then in a text based editor that lets you do search and replace search for any css entry that begins with 'mso-' and remove the entire entry out to the semi-colon. Some of them don't have an ending semi colon. So you will have to keep finding things that begin with 'mso-' and then removing them all with a search and replace routine once you know what they look like. This takes about 5 minutes. There are about 50kb's worth of them but most of them are nearly identical to each other. A few of them are broken across two lines and may need manual attention.

Now remove all 'style=""' entries (only when the style tag is blank like that).

That will get you down to around 120kb or so.

Now remove all css lines that are one of these:

Code: Select all
   font-weight:400;
   padding:0px;
   white-space:nowrap;
   font-style:normal;
   text-decoration:none;
   font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;
   text-align:general;
   vertical-align:middle;

Or any that begin with 'padding-'

Now at the beginning of the style section add this:

Where it has:

<!--table
   {

Change it to:

body, td {
   padding : 1px 1px 0 1px;
   white-space:nowrap;
   font-style:normal;
   text-decoration:none;
   font-family:Tahoma, sans-serif;}
table
   {

That will get your final file down to around 88-90kb.

Once you've done this whole process once, it's becomes very easy to do it again to future sheets. A pain, but not impossible.
arcady
Fanatic
Fanatic

Star Wars sheets....

Postby The Etherial Ghost » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:18 pm

Only problem is, Lucas Arts won't let anyone make any....
They shut down a great character generator program (Okin-something-or-another)
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Jesse "The Body" Ventura
The Etherial Ghost
Bystander
Bystander

Postby faenril » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:04 pm

problem with Combat sense box

One of my character has dex 20, super dex 2, dodge feat, and combat sense 7. the sheet indicate in red that the total rank cannot exceed Dex+Misc+ Dodge, but it does not exceed. I have made the test with dex and super dex 20 same problem, it begins when you put a 2 in the combat sens box.
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby simpson » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:30 pm

Faernil, to fix combat sense, do this:

-In the Abilities & Combat tab unprotect the sheet by selecting Tools->Unprotect sheet

-Replace the formula in Cell K44 with this one:

=IF(K43>I39+Q39+M39, I39+Q39+M39, 0)

Sorry about that. I thought I had fixed it in the last drop. This (along with plenty of other things will be updated in the next drop.
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby simpson » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:15 am

New Update:

MnM Character Builder 2.12
http://www.elyzium.net

Here's what's new
Character sheet text output
Extra/stunt/flaw sections added to power lookup
Quick "doubler" calcualtor added to power lookup
Feat description copy n paste
Weakness description copy n paste
Ability 9 is -1 (not 0)
Skill Synergy listings
Fixed Combat Sense
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wulf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:33 am

Are you sure 2.12 is up & available? My net connection from work is extremely unreliable, but I seem to get connected to anything else I want, except this comes up "cannot find" or some such nonesense.

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby simpson » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:02 am

Try it again. ;)

Sorry bout that.
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wulf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:45 am

Thank you :D

Of course, as I don't have Excel installed here at work, I can't even look at it until I get home anyway...

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby faenril » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:16 am

hello Simpson, great work as usual :D .

There is a small problem on synergistic bonus, the notice apperas if you have 5 ranks even if the ranks are not from the skill, I tried to add 5 ranks for computer under the columns "feat" and I obtain the information "+2 Disable Device(comp), Open Locks(comp), Demolitions(comp)"

hope it helps
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Celtic Cowboy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:16 am

faenril wrote:, I tried to add 5 ranks for computer under the columns "feat" and I obtain the information "+2 Disable Device(comp), Open Locks(comp), Demolitions(comp)"

hope it helps

But it's still not totally broken. It says at the top of the bonus that if you have 5 or more ranks in the listed skill you get the following. You just can't legally put the bonus into the synergy column if your points don't come from skills alone.

You may have a case where your GM allows skill points from skills bought as powers to apply to the synergy, and you may well want the profession points to count as well.

What about the feats. Don't have the book with me but the feats that allow you to add to skills add a generic bonus or do they add to the skills rank?
Last edited by Celtic Cowboy on Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Saturday Knights
Celtic Cowboy
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby faenril » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:19 am

so I have just to ignore the synergy bonus if it does not come from skill rank ?
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Celtic Cowboy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:24 am

faenril wrote:so I have just to ignore the synergy bonus if it does not come from skill rank ?

If you don't think it applies. The synergy bonus isn't automatically added in, it just shows that one might be available. I would guess it's up to the user/GM to decide if how you got to 5 ranks counts for synergy or not.

The 5 point cap does seem to be ignoring the added points based on attributes, so if you have a INT bonus of +3 and 2 ranks the message doesn't seem to show up. On the spreadsheet the 5 points seems to need to be hit by direct ranks/feats/etc.
Mark
Saturday Knights
Celtic Cowboy
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Citizen Arcane » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:14 am

First off. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Great work Simpson! We use your character sheet religiously and it is close to perfection!

Many thanks for all of your hard work!

That being said, I have a feature request...

Our group has gotten into the habit of putting all characters, villians and NPCs onto 4x6 index cards to facilitate combats (and so that the GM has a handy character reference).

Is there any chance that you could put in a tab that had things formatted for 4x6? We usually just put major skills like sneak, spot, listen and search in the skills area, and then any skill over 8 or so.

Would anyone else find this to be a useful feature?
Citizen Arcane
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby wulf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:21 am

Citizen Arcane wrote:First off. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Great work Simpson! We use your character sheet religiously and it is close to perfection!

Hear hear!
Is there any chance that you could put in a tab that had things formatted for 4x6? We usually just put major skills like sneak, spot, listen and search in the skills area, and then any skill over 8 or so.

Would anyone else find this to be a useful feature?

I'd also find that excellently useful, especially for minions (I like varied minions). But as I understand Excel (not terrifically well, but I can use it) it would require a very different sort of coding (to what's used on the sheet as is) to select only certain items from the lists. Pre-selected skills would, obviously, be easy. Another problem would be Powers/Feats, since there would obviously be limited space for them. However, if you limited the use of such cards to simpler characters, with fewer entries all over, it could work...

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby simpson » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:31 pm

Yes, the synergy bonuses don't automatically add in because (IMO) there's a discrepancy as to what constitutes a rank. It just lists the synergy bonuses on the side if there may be a synergy bonus available. Different people will have different interpretations. Way I see it is (and how I implemented it), is any skill point from the following count:

Ranks, Feats (Talented, Skill Focus, etc), Synergy Bonuses, Powers (Super Skill), Misc.

Ability modifiers are not factored into the base "ranks" when determining synergy. This may be a good question for Steve.

As far as the half-page (or 4x6) sheet goes... I actually have a mook sheet. It's nowhere near as cool as the base MnM sheet though. Same colors and formatting, but you have to type everything in manually.

One idea might be to copy all the character sheets to a single directory (with the mook page). Copy the cell contents of a new tab.. a HALF SHEET TAB (that has all the proper formatting for the mook page). Paste these cells into the Mook page.

I think what will happen is, anytime you update your character sheet, the changes will automatically be reflected in the Mook sheet. Excel is cool that way.

In the meantime, take a look at the Mook sheet and let me know if this is sort of what you had in mind... http://www.elyzium.net

Thanks!
simpson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby faenril » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:15 am

I have modified you sheet Simpson for Constructs (not Construct characters). Where can I upload it since it is your property ? And if someone is interested ?
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby vf-xx » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:25 pm

Hey first I want to say great sheet simpson, I really like it!

One question for you: example: I took super-Dex but i took the limited flaw- does not apply to dex skill checks.

I wish there was some way to indicate that on the sheet, but I'm not sure what level of complexity it would add. Maybe add buttons similar to the feats buttons?
vf-xx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby faenril » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:38 am

Found several bugs ;):

I have taken 5 ranks in a knowledge, no synergy bonus is indicated. Same issue for Science.

The Expertise feat description is the contrary to what iti is ;).

Faënril
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Carnifex » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:04 pm

I have simpson's sheet (which rocks); I heard there were 2 others by different people, where can they be obtained?
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives