Champions to M&M conversions....

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Champions to M&M conversions....

Postby Tymminator » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:23 pm

Any good sites for this? I have 4 former Champions players who want to play M&M with their old characters. I figure we could eyeball it, but if you folks know any good conversion rules/site whatever, it would be great. Thanks.
Tymminator
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Conversions

Postby mrobviousjosh » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:30 pm

I'd say to ask a guy like Neo. He seems to have a great deal of knowledge about conversions in general. :D
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Strand0 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:31 pm

Eyeball it. :o
No one ever posted a conversion system on the site. Someone converted Firewing (do a search), and "The World's Greatest Supervillain (or so he thinks, anyway)", but I don't remember any others.

The systems are quite different, and similar. :evil:

If you have any conversion ideas - I'm sure some people on the site would love to kick'em around for you. >:)
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby faenril » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:56 am

I have converted Doc destroyer, black paladin from Champions the new millenium.
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Citizen Arcane » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:21 am

I hate to be a downer, but I have NEVER understood the concept behind conversion rules.

It's a different system with a different design philosophy.

Also, a character concept is a character concept. Just take the essence of the character and rebuild it using the tools that the new system gives you. Somethings won't work quite so well, and some things will work better.

Learn the new system and make it work for you!
Citizen Arcane
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Albert Deschesne » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:04 pm

Citizen Arcane wrote:I hate to be a downer, but I have NEVER understood the concept behind conversion rules.

It's a different system with a different design philosophy.

Also, a character concept is a character concept. Just take the essence of the character and rebuild it using the tools that the new system gives you. Somethings won't work quite so well, and some things will work better.

Learn the new system and make it work for you!

Exactly -- I'm just eyeballing the conversions from DC Heroes to HERO to M&M for my site and book... It's actually less bothersome than trying to make sure that "it's done right".
Albert Deschesne
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Steve Kenson » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:17 pm

Tends to be my experience as well. Conversion systems can provide guidelines but they tend to produce wonky results when they're adhered too slavishly. I've been converting between different superhero RPGs as long as I've been playing them (since I buy lots of different stuff and convert to my game of choice) and I've always just kinda of eyeballed it to get the right feel rather than worrying if X = Y in a particular game system.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Strand0 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:01 pm

I've spent hundreds of enjoyable hours building arcane conversion systems. I never consider that time wasted from an enjoyment stand point. :green: BUT, I also never got much use out of them. :oops: :!:
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby bwgwl » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:17 pm

another vote for eyeball conversion.

direct numerical conversions, besides making my head hurt, rarely capture the same "feel" in the new system, anyways.

hey Strand0 -- congrats on your new ranking! :green: so how does it feel to be Earth's Mightiest Poster?
Freedom City Limits -- an online M&M campaign
--
Pig Killer: "Plan?? There ain't no plan!!"
bwgwl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Strand0 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:30 pm

bwgwl wrote:hey Strand0 -- congrats on your new ranking! :green: so how does it feel to be Earth's Mightiest Poster?
Thanks for pointing it out! But, I have to say that when one's power is so great already, it is just another step on the road. 8)

Hey! Stop throwing things at me!
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

MnM Conversions

Postby Whiteknight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:06 pm

Albert, are your conversion notes available for download? I have a bunch of Champs characters that I want to try and port over to M&M (or DC Heroes for that matter) but I never played Champions; I get the Hero stuff for the characters mainly.
Whiteknight
Bystander
Bystander

Re: MnM Conversions

Postby Albert Deschesne » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:09 pm

Whiteknight wrote:Albert, are your conversion notes available for download? I have a bunch of Champs characters that I want to try and port over to M&M (or DC Heroes for that matter) but I never played Champions; I get the Hero stuff for the characters mainly.

PM Greg K here on the M&M boards, he sent me a .doc file with some very thought out conversions.
Albert Deschesne
Cohort
Cohort

Notes

Postby Whiteknight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:27 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the assistance.

Frank

BTW, I like your site alot and I look forward to any updates you may make. :)
Whiteknight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zhure » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:00 pm

<- not Greg K
:D
"Luminous beings we are... not this crude matter."
Zhure
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:41 pm

Steve Kenson wrote:Tends to be my experience as well. Conversion systems can provide guidelines but they tend to produce wonky results when they're adhered too slavishly. I've been converting between different superhero RPGs as long as I've been playing them (since I buy lots of different stuff and convert to my game of choice) and I've always just kinda of eyeballed it to get the right feel rather than worrying if X = Y in a particular game system.

Well with someone asking about conversions of the V&V system - I came across this little bit that Steve wrote - I agree with him 100% on this one - so here's a *BUMP* to share the point of view with all you fine folks!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives