Errata questions - post em here

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby dimmak » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:52 pm

Hate to point this out but force field has yet another flaw over protection.

Obvious.
Force Field is visible while protection is not.

You can't walk around the supermarket in your secret identity with your visible force field up, while super-dude can with his protection power up.
dimmak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aleph » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:40 pm

dimmak wrote:Hate to point this out but force field has yet another flaw over protection.

Obvious.
Force Field is visible while protection is not.

You can't walk around the supermarket in your secret identity with your visible force field up, while super-dude can with his protection power up.

That was part of my early argument, which Tesuji rightly rejected as a house rule. Force Field clearly can be seen, by virtue of the invisible extra, and most people would say Protection can not. However, for all the page number throwing around I have done, I'm don't have a page reference for the visibility of powers if they don't have the Subtle or Obvious flaws attached, so we can't rule on that. Common sense suggests you are right - but unless you have a page reference...

I thought I knew where it was, but I was getting confused with FRED.
Aleph
Cohort
Cohort

Postby RogueWriter » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:14 pm

I know that this idea has been thrown around before....

But, the concept of an "Ultimate Powers" book, or something akin to HG's "Superpowers Database" might come in handy for this.

It could include details like which powers are visible, which aren''t. It could also include complete lists of extras (with new ones), flaws (ditto).... New powers...

And most importantly, detailed pre-constructed powers. Complete with extras, powerstunts and flaws.

It wouldn't have to be that large. But it could be real handy....
"Once a Green Lantern....Always a Green Lantern."

RogueWriter
RogueWriter
Booster
Booster

Postby Yesterday's Hero » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:05 pm

Being visible doesn't necessarily mean you have the Obvious flaw tho. You could have a visible glow without it being a "bright glow" that called undue attention to yourself. IMO just being visible isn't worth a whole flaw as obvious -- just like I'd say stopping Incorporeal from passing through doesn't count as a full extra and just like I wouldn't let Cyclone take Obvious for his Armor unless it was even more "obvious". Just me.
Yesterday's Hero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tesuji » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:12 am

Thats how i tend to run it.
Tesuji
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Anthony » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:58 pm

There's actually an argument for saying any power not bought with the 'Subtle' extra is visible.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Yesterday's Hero » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:08 am

Anthony wrote:There's actually an argument for saying any power not bought with the 'Subtle' extra is visible.

Except Sonic Control since you can't see sound :p. And well a ton of other powers like super senses, super skills, etc.

Anyway what's being said is a bit different anyhow. Sure most of your off the shelf powers are "visible" but then "visible" is not a Flaw, like Obvious is. And they are significantly different.
Yesterday's Hero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Draamal » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:52 am

I think you are getting stuck on the word 'visible' when what they really mean is 'able to be sensed with normal human senses'. Which means one or more of sight, hearing, smell, taste (let's just not think about that one), touch/vibration, and balance. (Yes, that's six. Ask a scientist.)
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Yesterday's Hero » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:00 pm

Draamal wrote:I think you are getting stuck on the word 'visible' when what they really mean is 'able to be sensed with normal human senses'. Which means one or more of sight, hearing, smell, taste (let's just not think about that one), touch/vibration, and balance. (Yes, that's six. Ask a scientist.)

Actually I was using another "sense", that of humor. The real reply was afterword re: 'visible' vs 'obvious'. Tho there is an underlying truth to the earlier comments as well -- there are certain powers w/o Subtle extra are simply not visible.

As for science, fwiw you can see humans as having anywhere from 3 senses to more then a dozen. E.g. you can view smell and taste as the same and you can also see touch as many different senses (temperature, pain, pressure, itch, etc.).
Yesterday's Hero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolverine-X » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:57 pm

Steve,

This is one thing that I still don't get...is it intentional that even with a Feat the most melee attacks a character can attempt per round, EVER, is two attacks? Or is it intended that Rapid Strike can be purchased multiple times? :-?
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:26 am

No but you could take Strike with the Multifire or Autofire extras.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby The Atomic Brain » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:36 am

Steve Kenson wrote:No but you could take Strike with the Multifire or Autofire extras.

But I thought those Extras are for ranged attacks only?
The Atomic Brain
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:40 am

They are, but you can allow them to apply them to melee attacks, if you want characters to have a lot of multiple attacks.

Takedown Attack is also an effective way of getting extra attacks when fighting minions and less powerful opponents, and there's always Whirlwind Attack.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby The Atomic Brain » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:43 am

i just love this game's flexability
The Atomic Brain
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Wolverine-X » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:10 pm

Steve Kenson wrote:No but you could take Strike with the Multifire or Autofire extras.

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply...and the suggestion for multifire and autofire! :)
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Armitage » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:45 pm

I guess this goes here, since it is errata...

I bought Freedom City today and noticed that Sonic (pp. 133-134) has Energy Control with Energy Blast as an Extra and a Power Stunt. Since the main errata says that Energy Blast is an Extra, what should his Power stunt actually be?
Armitage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:35 pm

Check this thread here:

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

He's got Energy Blast as a stunt as well as an Extra because he can do two different types of blast, kinetic force and sound.
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Question about Duplication

Postby Dzarkhan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:43 pm

Let's say we have 10 ranks in Duplication. Can you create 10 dublicates, one per half action, all with +10 powers? Or can you create one @ +10, two @ +9, etc. The rules are vague on if the descending power for multiples is just if you create them all at once...

So, with the Horde extra... do you get 20 dublicates? Or... two, if they are maxed out in power ranks... ?
Dzarkhan
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Question about Duplication

Postby Valdier » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:52 pm

Dzarkhan wrote:Let's say we have 10 ranks in Duplication. Can you create 10 dublicates, one per half action, all with +10 powers? Or can you create one @ +10, two @ +9, etc. The rules are vague on if the descending power for multiples is just if you create them all at once...

So, with the Horde extra... do you get 20 dublicates? Or... two, if they are maxed out in power ranks... ?

Check out page 2 of the official FAQ :)

FAQ

second column
If you are looking for news, examples, tutorials, FAQ or something else, try visiting Valdier.com
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Ouch

Postby Dzarkhan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:00 pm

So you're telling me that for 3pp/rank in Duplicate + Horde, a character can create twice his level in clones that are all as offensively capable as the actual character? Yes, it takes a little while to make them... but that's how it works?
Dzarkhan
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ouch

Postby Valdier » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:15 pm

Dzarkhan wrote:So you're telling me that for 3pp/rank in Duplicate + Horde, a character can create twice his level in clones that are all as offensively capable as the actual character? Yes, it takes a little while to make them... but that's how it works?

I am telling you where the answer is in the faq.
If you are looking for news, examples, tutorials, FAQ or something else, try visiting Valdier.com
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Dzarkhan » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:31 am

Well, that's what it says, I just don't believe it... that's such a strong ability... I think GMs should up the cost on Duplication
Dzarkhan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Valdier » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:31 pm

As a note to people trying to hit my site for things like my FAQ... apparently my ISP was none to happy to find out I had hijacked(in their words :yar: ) their IP addresses so my site will be down for a short while as I move it to another network. Ultimately it will get hosted at a static location within the next month or so but at the moment there is a bit of transition going on :)
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Questions about multiple attacks...

Postby Dzarkhan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:24 pm

How exactly does this work... ? I know that if you're using a melee weapon, you can pick up ambidexterity and two weapon style, use full attack, get both attacks at -2... And you can get improved two weapon to get a third attack at -5, if you're 9th level or higher...

What about rapid shot, multifire, and autofire?

What do you need to max out extra attacks with an Energy Blast? Does rapid shot alone give you an extra attack, both at -2 penalties? Or do you need these other two in there somewhere?

Is multfire and autofire for guns and the like only?

Somebody set me straight...
Dzarkhan
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Questions about multiple attacks...

Postby Valdier » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:52 pm

Dzarkhan wrote:How exactly does this work... ? I know that if you're using a melee weapon, you can pick up ambidexterity and two weapon style, use full attack, get both attacks at -2... And you can get improved two weapon to get a third attack at -5, if you're 9th level or higher...

What about rapid shot, multifire, and autofire?

What do you need to max out extra attacks with an Energy Blast? Does rapid shot alone give you an extra attack, both at -2 penalties? Or do you need these other two in there somewhere?

Is multfire and autofire for guns and the like only?

Somebody set me straight...

Rapid shot and rapid strike both give you an extra ranged or melee attack at -2. TWF and ITWF also give you extra attacks. Multifire and Autofire, also can give you extra attacks :)

There are a whole lot of ways to get them, and all of them pretty much apply to everything (except when they specifically say otherwise (like Rapid shot vs. Rapid strike)
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives