Updated M&M Character Sheet!

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby LepreJuan » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:39 pm

Wolverine-X wrote:There are a few suggestions that I am planning to implement...based on posts and other feedback. My work schedule has kept me pretty busy...but I am keeping track of most of the changes that have been suggested and will be making updates/revisions to the spreadsheet and will send out an update soon.

:D

Wolvie, how are we now getting the sheet? I have been using a 4.3, and I see that you're up to 4.5 .

I can't remember how I got it... :oops:

BTW, have you incorporated the "house rule 1:3 for skills" thing as a toggle after all that whinging before, and if not, is there a way I could do so?

John
LepreJuan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Blackhawk » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:10 pm

LepreJuan wrote:Wolvie, how are we now getting the sheet? I have been using a 4.3, and I see that you're up to 4.5 .

BTW, have you incorporated the "house rule 1:3 for skills" thing as a toggle after all that whinging before, and if not, is there a way I could do so?

Valdier has the new sheet as a download on his site. Look for one of his posts, and the link is at the bottom.

And yes, he has added a "1:3" toggle for skills. :)
Blackhawk

"Me? I blame the pudding pops."
Blackhawk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby tetsujin28 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:29 pm

Is there any way to add flaws to powers? Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to update the sheet with experience.
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Postby MrJamela » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:28 am

Perhaps its just me, but I just downloaded Wolvie's sheet and the extra/power stunt toggles don't work on the Power sheet - I can't get powers to link properly.

I'm using Excel 2001 on a Mac if that makes a difference....

Anyone else have this problem?

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MrJamela » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:47 am

Okay....having read through all 28 pages I see that other people HAVE had this problem.

I'll try the TRUE and FALSE solution and see how that works.

I wonder if it is a font problem of some sort.

Also, Wolvie, seeing that so many people are MAC-ified around here, perhaps you'll work with one person (assuming you don't have access to a MAC) to create a PW protected Mac-friendly version.

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolverine-X » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:31 pm

LepreJuan wrote:
Wolverine-X wrote:There are a few suggestions that I am planning to implement...based on posts and other feedback. My work schedule has kept me pretty busy...but I am keeping track of most of the changes that have been suggested and will be making updates/revisions to the spreadsheet and will send out an update soon.

:D

Wolvie, how are we now getting the sheet? I have been using a 4.3, and I see that you're up to 4.5 .

John

Yes. You can now toggle between 1:1 and 1:3. I've also received a request for 1:2 which I am currently adding.
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Wolverine-X » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:33 pm

MrJamela wrote:Okay....having read through all 28 pages I see that other people HAVE had this problem.

I'll try the TRUE and FALSE solution and see how that works.

I wonder if it is a font problem of some sort.

Also, Wolvie, seeing that so many people are MAC-ified around here, perhaps you'll work with one person (assuming you don't have access to a MAC) to create a PW protected Mac-friendly version.

Jaime

I'd gladly work with a MAC user to figure this out...I know of only one friend in the area that is a MAC user, so I'll chat with him.
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Wolverine-X » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:36 pm

Christopher Tatro wrote:Now that I've upgraded to Office2000 and the spreadsheet is working, I must say I love this thing more than is healthy or publicly appropriate!! It makes juggling points to get a character just right around easy as pie. As a GM, I find it immensely valuable for making up all my NPCs.

That said, I of course have 2 requests/suggestions for the next revision:
1) Size defaults to Miniscule, and if I forget to reset that, it throws off the Defense Bonus. Any chance of defaulting that to Medium?

2) Could a sheet be added that reported a block stat write-up of what was on the other sheets? I have no idea how complicated that would make things, but for my semi-disposable NPCs I like printing out block stats rather than 3-4 sheets, and I am collossaly lazy.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

The size defaults to what ever was the last active thing listed when you saved the sheet. For example I save the master sheet with the size field blank...so that when it opens the size field is empty. I think this might be the problem your having.
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby MrJamela » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:52 pm

Actually, the stat block thing would be really helpful....something that we could copy and paste from your Excel sheet to these forums for review....

Also, I'm having problems bringing my character's picture into the document. Is there a trick for this?

Very nice work BTW Wolverine. This sheet is a godsend for creating characters.

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Postby tetsujin28 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:06 pm

Any chance of getting some of those fonts up to 7 point instead of 3?
tetsujin28
Devotee
Devotee

Postby SmokestackJones » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:16 pm

MrJamela wrote:Actually, the stat block thing would be really helpful....something that we could copy and paste from your Excel sheet to these forums for review....

Also, I'm having problems bringing my character's picture into the document. Is there a trick for this?

Very nice work BTW Wolverine. This sheet is a godsend for creating characters.

Jaime

Hey Jamela,

With the pic, here's the trick: open the picture in whatever graphics program you use, copy it to the clipboard, close program, open the Excel character file, click on the picture box, go up to Edit ->Paste Special. When the box comes up, select "bitmap." It will paste the pic on the clipboard into that cell. Then move and size to taste.

-Smokestack Jones
Maker of the Sampo!
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby charben » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:17 pm

Wolvie,

Nice character sheet in Excel. Works fine but for a few small problems.

1. The fields at the bottom of the first sheet (Abilities) where you can list minions, sidekicks, and arch-enemies, the font size is tiny compared to what's above. Since the whole thing is protected, I can't change it.

2. On the same sheet, where you can paste an image, the fields are merged and it won't let me paste anything without the password.

3. Will Save area does not seem to add in anything for the Iron Will feat.

4. Not enough slots in the Feats & Superfeats area for high level characters (i.e. JLA, etc). Also, in the Description fields you can't type in a description of the feat. There's a pulldown menu of skills for some reason.

Other than the above, the sheet works fine. Very pleased so far.

Thanks,

Chris
charben
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wolverine-X » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:57 pm

I've sent Valdier Version 4.6 to post on his site.

This version addresses the following:
- Adds 2:1 Skill-to-Power Point (now has 1:1, 2:1, and 3:1)
- Fixed problem with Super-Dex and Attack Finesse...Super Dex no longer adds to Attack Finesse
- 5 Ranks of Acrobatics now adds a +2 Bonus to Balance
- 5 Ranks of Jump now adds a +2 Bonus to Acrobatics

That's all for now.
Wolverine-X
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby MrJamela » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:33 pm

Which leads to my next question. Is there a way to get a character out of one version of the sheet and onto another?

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MrJamela » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:01 pm

Unless I am mistaken, the sheet lists the cost of leaping as 2/rank instead of 1 per rank. Is this in error?

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Valdier » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:33 pm

Posted the new version of the sheet, it is available in the Downloads section.
If you are looking for news, examples, tutorials, FAQ or something else, try visiting Valdier.com
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Draamal » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:34 am

Yeah, exporting and importing of stat blocks would solve many 'problems'. Like tranferring characters to new versions and posting to the boards...
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:14 am

I agree that the stat block import/export would be very useful. However, I don't think it would be very doable in Excel. We're probably going to have to wait for full character generato rprogram for this. :(
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Draamal » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:03 pm

The Fifth Wanderer wrote:I agree that the stat block import/export would be very useful. However, I don't think it would be very doable in Excel. We're probably going to have to wait for full character generato rprogram for this. :(
I can see how importing would be tough, but how tough could exporting be compared to making the excel sheet in the first place?
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby MrJamela » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:54 pm

My Excel skills are far from perky, but really all that I think we'd need is an additional page with a bunch of text that calls to the information from the rest of the sheet.

Would probably be a pain to set up, but hey, Wolvie has nothing but time.....right? Wolvie?

Okay, maybe not. but a boy can dream.

Jaime
MrJamela
Bystander
Bystander

Sorcery workaround

Postby charlieluce » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:39 pm

I noticed that the 4.6 doc says that one should list Sorcery Spells in the "Special Effects" field. I tried that, but didn't like the itty bitty font.

Here's my workaround: just put -7 in the box for the number of Power Stunts for the Sorcery Power (which will lower the Power Cost by 14), then enter the individual spells in their own Power boxes as Power Stunts of Sorcery (which will bring the total cost back to what it should be). Naturally, if you actually have more (non Powers-as-) Power Stunts, you should adjust the -7 appropriately.

All in all, looks much nicer.

--
Charlie Luce
charlieluce
Bystander
Bystander

4.6 Character Generator

Postby Bloodmoon » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:09 am

Love the sheet! Makes life alot easier..

just one thing and it's already probably been mentioned but...

Under feats there is a drop down box for description that lists skills
can you make it populate the description of the feat you choose in a later
revision.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

once I finish reading the book a few more times I may start writing some utilities in VB. Is there anything paticular you guys and gals would like to see? I was thinking of a power creation utility? any thoughts..
Fear accompanies the possibility of death, calmness Shepard’s its certainty.
Bloodmoon
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Sorcery workaround

Postby Christopher Tatro » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:30 pm

charlieluce wrote:Here's my workaround: just put -7 in the box for the number of Power Stunts for the Sorcery Power (which will lower the Power Cost by 14), then enter the individual spells in their own Power boxes as Power Stunts of Sorcery (which will bring the total cost back to what it should be). Naturally, if you actually have more (non Powers-as-) Power Stunts, you should adjust the -7 appropriately.

I just listed each "Spell" as a separate power, checked off Power Stunt and listed Sorcery, but didn't list any ranks. Thus no cost for each of the stunts.

Something else I'd suggest: add a bunch of "dummy" powers at the end of the list, each with a different cost per rank (1-9, maybe). That way if I develop a new power that costs, say, 5pp, I can add the dummy power to the character and note what it is in the Special Effects space, but at least the math comes out right. If I use an existing power, I run the risk of it modifying a Save or a Stat bonus or something.

Chris

Chris
Christopher Tatro
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eletarmion » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:18 am

Hey Wolvie:

Any chance of being able to put Flaws on Power Stunts and Feats? Many devices use this construction (such as night-sight goggles, or gas masks), and I have a few characters who have limited combat styles that also employ this construction. A swordsman, for instance, might have the feat Improved Critical with the Flaw: Only w/Swords.

Thanks for the great work!

Best,

Eletarmion
Eletarmion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby kza » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:54 pm

First, many many thanks to Woverine-X for taking the time to create this sheet. It's absolutely amazing. And many thanks to Valdier to making it available.

Second, if anyone has a Mac and is having trouble clicking on the Extra and Power Stunt boxes, I found this on page 16, so you don't have to:

I found that I can check the box if I control-click (right-click) it, bring up the Calculator, and change the value from 'False' to 'True'.

[My apologies to the person who came up with that fix...I forgot your name]

Two last things (apologies again if this has been already mentioned):

1. Super-Senses doesn't seem to be adding to Search, Spot, and Listen.

2. If you have the Evasion feat, apparently your Damage saving throw is completely substituted by your Reflex saving throw. I'm not a big fan of that, since a) most of my characters have very different Damage and Reflex saving throws and b) you lose Evasion if you lose your dodge bonus (flat-footed, etc.) Since making people lose their dodge bonuses is a big strategy for some of my characters, this wholesale substitution bugs me.

But both of these are no real big deal; I can fix it with a pencil :wink:

Again, big ups to Wolverine-X. May many sexual favors come your way :green:
kza
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives