Big FAQ Question [Steve...STEVE!!]

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Big FAQ Question [Steve...STEVE!!]

Postby SmokestackJones » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:46 am

Hey there,

Thought I'd put this as a seperate topic. Here's a quote from the FAQ:

Do extras and power stunts that duplicate other powers work at
the same rank as the base power?

Yes, unless stated otherwise, extras and power stunts that duplicate
another power work at the rank of the base power.

Now, here's a quote from my How to Add Superpowers file on Valdier's site (referring to Power Stunts):

Powers may be added as Power Stunts, but the Power being added must be of equal or lesser cost than the per rank cost of the base Power, i.e, a Power with a greater base cost as the Base Power added as a Power Stunt will have less ranks than the Base Power.

Is there a conflict here? I was under the assumption that Power Stunts, due to thier cost, would be beholden to the cost of the Base Power. In other words, Base Power A (2pp/level) bought at PL10 has Power B (3pp/level) added as a Power Stunt. Thus, Power Stunt B would be at PL6.

Is this correct? Steve even okayed this before I sent it off to Valdier...

-Smoekstack Jones
Maker of the Sampo!
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mucknuggle » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:52 am

I'm pretty sure that Valdier is correct. I think that I read that in the rulebook. Try looking under the rules for how to create powers.
Mucknuggle
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Big FAQ Question [Steve...STEVE!!]

Postby Valdier » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:52 am

SmokestackJones wrote:Hey there,

Thought I'd put this as a seperate topic. Here's a quote from the FAQ:

Do extras and power stunts that duplicate other powers work at
the same rank as the base power?

Yes, unless stated otherwise, extras and power stunts that duplicate
another power work at the rank of the base power.

Now, here's a quote from my How to Add Superpowers file on Valdier's site (referring to Power Stunts):

Powers may be added as Power Stunts, but the Power being added must be of equal or lesser cost than the per rank cost of the base Power, i.e, a Power with a greater base cost as the Base Power added as a Power Stunt will have less ranks than the Base Power.

Is there a conflict here? I was under the assumption that Power Stunts, due to thier cost, would be beholden to the cost of the Base Power. In other words, Base Power A (2pp/level) bought at PL10 has Power B (3pp/level) added as a Power Stunt. Thus, Power Stunt B would be at PL6.

Is this correct? Steve even okayed this before I sent it off to Valdier...

-Smoekstack Jones
Maker of the Sampo!

I am guessing that was an oversight when the FAQ was being written up... the final power rank should be [Original Cost] / [Second Powers Cost] = New Rank (rounded down)
If you are looking for news, examples, tutorials, FAQ or something else, try visiting Valdier.com
Valdier
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Steve Kenson » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:27 am

No conflict, the info on Valider's is still correct. It falls under the "unless otherwise stated" clause :D

The FAQ clarification is primarily aimed at all the occasions in the rulebook where it says "this stunt gives you the ability of X power" which nearly always means "at the same rank as the base power." It's not primarily aimed at custom-built powers, which are a somewhat different topic.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby SmokestackJones » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:59 am

Steve Kenson wrote:No conflict, the info on Valider's is still correct. It falls under the "unless otherwise stated" clause :D

The FAQ clarification is primarily aimed at all the occasions in the rulebook where it says "this stunt gives you the ability of X power" which nearly always means "at the same rank as the base power." It's not primarily aimed at custom-built powers, which are a somewhat different topic.

Hey Steve,

Gotcha. I'll add that clause to the file and send it to Valdier.

-SJ
SmokestackJones
Firebrand
Firebrand

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives