Statesman...

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Statesman...

Postby professorzoom » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:49 am

Okay, I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here. In fact, what I am suggesting probably has been mentioned before, and been shot down.

It's just that I noted in the MnM core rule book, there is a Golden Age era hero mentioned called the Statesman.

Over at the City of Heroes MMORPG site, there is a character called the Statesman...Is this possibly the licensed product they are going to be linking to? If so, VERY COOL.

If not, oh well, it's just a thought. :)

Zoom
"There there, dear. Open your hand and show the good Captain what you're holding."

-Zoom with hostage, who is holding their parent's dismembered ear...
professorzoom
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Erik Mona » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:10 am

The Statesmen are actually a Bicentennial-era "Silver Agey" super-team in the META-4 Universe. Ostensibly, there's a member for every state (though in practice it was somewhat more pathetic). The group lasted until the mid-80s and some of its members are still fluttering around the M4 Universe to this day.

You'll learn much more about them soon.

--Erik Mona
Lead Editor
www.superunicorn.com
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby Strand0 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:54 pm

Erik Mona wrote:You'll learn much more about them soon.
I heard a spectral "Bwa-ha-ha-haa...." when I read that!
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Doctor Otaku » Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:09 am

Strand0 wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:You'll learn much more about them soon.
I heard a spectral "Bwa-ha-ha-haa...." when I read that!

Same here, scary ain't it?
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Sewerspook » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:40 pm

[quote="Erik Mona"]The Statesmen are actually a Bicentennial-era "Silver Agey" super-team in the META-4 Universe. /quote]

what exactly is the Meta-4universe?
Sewerspook
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Erik Mona » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:48 pm

The META-4 Universe is the M&M continuity created by Super Unicorn Design Studio, of which I am a part. It's named for META-4, the government agency tasked with tracking, investigating, and to a certain extent regulating superhuman activity. It's a "Modern Age" setting (as opposed to the more Silver Age 4-color approach of Freedom City) that serves as the home to the M&M iconic characters (Protonik, Atomic Brain, etc.) and serves as the backdrop of the forthcoming Crooks villain directory.

We'll be doing a more official announcement of the universe some time before the release of Crooks.

--Erik Mona
Lead Editor
www.superunicorn.com
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby Evil Toki » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:52 pm

I can't wait, I am a big fan of "Modern" settings, never been big into the traditional 4-color stuff, so I am stoked, can't wait to se this stuff! I take it the goons in the colored suits with M-4 are Meta-4 and the Control lady in the back of the book, Talia Thorne page 157 will play prominent roles in this universe... I hope so... she looks cool to me :)
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Sewerspook » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:57 pm

back on to the origional though of the thread. it would be cool if City of heroes was linked to M&M. in a way would serve as a great sub to the rpga live nation wide group.
Sewerspook
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Evil Toki » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:59 pm

Sewerspook wrote:back on to the origional though of the thread. it would be cool if City of heroes was linked to M&M. in a way would serve as a great sub to the rpga live nation wide group.

when does that game go live anyways?
Sometimes I even confuse myself...
Evil Toki
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Sewerspook » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:05 pm

they've pushed the beta back some so it's hard to say.
pushing the beta back, it's at the printers, I don't know I think all these companies are simply trying to make my head explode with all the waiting. Darn them all with there products that are aimed at me that I want.
Sewerspook
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:47 pm

Erik Mona wrote:The Statesmen are actually a Bicentennial-era "Silver Agey" super-team in the META-4 Universe. Ostensibly, there's a member for every state (though in practice it was somewhat more pathetic). The group lasted until the mid-80s and some of its members are still fluttering around the M4 Universe to this day.

--Erik Mona
Lead Editor
www.superunicorn.com

Cool. I had that exact idea in an old campaign and it worked pretty well, if it was a bit silly.
Jack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sewerspook » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:10 pm

I guess the question that leaves is, is this meta-4 supp out, or is a coming soon one, and if coming soon; soon as in months, years, decades etc...etc to infinity and beyond.
Sewerspook
Bystander
Bystander

Meta 4

Postby Kindred » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:14 pm

Sewerspook wrote:I guess the question that leaves is, is this meta-4 supp out, or is a coming soon one, and if coming soon; soon as in months, years, decades etc...etc to infinity and beyond.

The first SU/Meta-4 book is the forthcoming CROOKS discussed in several recent threads. I don't know that a tentative release date has been set yet.
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
-"Ulysses" Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Kindred
Devotee
Devotee

Re: Meta 4

Postby RogueWriter » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:28 pm

Kindred wrote:The first SU/Meta-4 book is the forthcoming CROOKS discussed in several recent threads. I don't know that a tentative release date has been set yet.

According to Nikchick, in the following post on another thread, Crooks! is tentatively due for June.

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 6&start=30

My personal style preference is for something a little grittier than 4-color. There are rumors that Meta-4 is being written in that style. I can't wait.
"Once a Green Lantern....Always a Green Lantern."

RogueWriter
RogueWriter
Booster
Booster

Postby mrfusion » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:38 pm

Erik Mona wrote:The Statesmen are actually a Bicentennial-era "Silver Agey" super-team in the META-4 Universe. Ostensibly, there's a member for every state (though in practice it was somewhat more pathetic). The group lasted until the mid-80s and some of its members are still fluttering around the M4 Universe to this day.

This sounds like a graphic novel I picked up in the late 80' or early 90's, called strangely enough, "The Statesmen. " They were US Marshals with pretty much standard super strength and toughness, but some had psychic abilities as well... I forget if they were 'naturally' occurring supers, or government manufactured... hmm have to dig it out of the closet now. Damn! :)

Anyhooo - any relation here? Or just another case of inspiration convergence?
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:14 pm

mrfusion wrote:

This sounds like a graphic novel I picked up in the late 80' or early 90's, called strangely enough, "The Statesmen. " They were US Marshals with pretty much standard super strength and toughness, but some had psychic abilities as well... I forget if they were 'naturally' occurring supers, or government manufactured... hmm have to dig it out of the closet now. Damn! :)

Anyhooo - any relation here? Or just another case of inspiration convergence?

Save you the trouble -
They were enginnered as part of a government experiment - the first gens had Hard talents - strength toughness etc - while the later gens had soft talents (psychic abilities) - A grim series but well done in my book The statesmen were all named after a city from the state they repersented - I am a font of usless knowledge -

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Erik Mona » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:28 pm

Never heard of that. Our idea is cooler.

--Erik
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby Nightlynx » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:39 pm

So any news as to when we will find out more about the Statesmen?!?!?

Just wondring :)

peace and good gmaing

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Erik Mona » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:30 pm

Lots of information will be in Crooks, which is mere days from the printer. Very, very soon now.

--Erik
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby Lammasu » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:58 pm

--Erik Mona
Lead Editor
www.superunicorn.com

dude. i had an idea like that when i was 12. Stop reading my thoughts with some kind of Transtemporal telepathy device.
Die Feuerschatten knows to much. He must be destroyed.
Lammasu
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Draamal » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:43 pm

Erik Mona wrote:Lots of information will be in Crooks, which is mere days from the printer. Very, very soon now.

--Erik

I can't believe this was only a few days ago... It feels like I've been waiting for this book forever! :o
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives