Will there be a character sheet?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Will there be a character sheet?

Postby Tenzhi » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:38 am

Will there be one in the back of the book to photocopy?
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Draamal » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:50 pm

Man, I hope so... I sometimes just make characters for fun and it's easier to use a sheet to organize my thoughts than a blank piece of paper.

I would prefer a pdf than a photocopy though, I don't like bending my book in unnatural directions and the photocopy is never perfect, a pdf is easy to duplicate and still copyright safe.
"All men die, the legends of some heroes live forever..."
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby dunlaing » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:18 pm

For superhero games, I like the sheets that have outlines in a character sketch area. It's nice for those who don't have any artistic skill but want to draw in their character's costume.
dunlaing
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tenzhi » Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:03 pm

dunlaing wrote:For superhero games, I like the sheets that have outlines in a character sketch area. It's nice for those who don't have any artistic skill but want to draw in their character's costume.

On the other hand, it's annoying to those who do have a modicum of artistic skill and would like to draw their character in that spot without that annoying outline being in the way.
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Erik Mona » Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:43 pm

The game will include at least one character sheet, and possibly a truncated sheet for minions or sidekicks. We've commissioned body outlines, ostensibly to help players with "unsure" artistic talent draw their costume, but whether these images will appear on the character sheets themselves remains to be seen.

--Erik Mona
Lead Editor
www.superunicorn.com
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby dunlaing » Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:35 am

Tenzhi wrote:
dunlaing wrote:For superhero games, I like the sheets that have outlines in a character sketch area. It's nice for those who don't have any artistic skill but want to draw in their character's costume.

On the other hand, it's annoying to those who do have a modicum of artistic skill and would like to draw their character in that spot without that annoying outline being in the way.

Funny, I don't find it annoying, and I have a modicum of artistic skill.*

Maybe two versions of the character sheet?

* see http://members.tripod.com/dunlaing/Miller/miller.html
dunlaing
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tenzhi » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:31 am

Perhaps I should have specified 'modicum of talent in drawing comic book style art' in order to rule out court room artists and Larry Elmore...

There are too many different superhero body types for the outline thing to work well. Unless they want to put all the basic variations in the main book and take up several pages for different character sheets with different outlines in the sketch area (basic male, basic female, strong male, strong female, fat male, fat female, short male, short female, teen male, teen female - and that's just off the top of my head and doesn't cover digitigrade legs or heads w/muzzles or characters that only vaguely fall into the 'humanoid' category).

However, going with the idea I mentioned in another thread of packing in some character sheets with the GM screen, that would be a perfect place to put the sheets with various sketch outlines.
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby dunlaing » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:48 am

dang. And I thought that that link did have comic book style art. Oh well.

I think that 4 sheets would be the minimum set and would make a lot of people happy (male, female, hulk, blank). You and I and those who think they can draw would use the blank one. The other three should take care of the majority of superheros.

Maybe you don't include them in the book (it's hard to photocopy out of a rulebook anyway--I like your idea of putting them in the DM screen), but certainly as pdf downloads it would be nice to have the outlines.

Actually, it'd be cool to set up the pdf character sheet to link to www.heromachine.com and allow you to import the character you create there into the sheet, but that's probably asking a bit too much.
dunlaing
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tenzhi » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:39 am

A pdf format available online is always a good thing. Linking such a pdf to heromachine, if possible, is a grand idea.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be insulting, the art in that link is decent (and the overall content was quite amusing), it just didn't strike me as particularly comic-bookish. I guess that's why art is subjective. ;)
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives