Power Stunts & Extras

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby The Human Pest » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:33 pm

Very happy to see these in the Inferna writeup. To me, this is the sort of bread & butter that makes superpowers interesting.

Question (unless you think this would be giving too much away): Do the 100 or so pre-designed powers have suggested stunts & extras included within them (like both versions of the Marvel game)? Or are we just going to get guidelines for creating them?
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Erik Mona » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:50 pm

The answer's actually "all of the above." Most powers have a suite of common extras that may or may not be unique to that power. The powers chapter also includes a list of general extras that can be added to a variety of powers (or, in some case, to all powers), more or less on a case-by-case basis.

Individual power stunts are, to my knowledge, always tied to a specific power.

The game also includes instructions for how to build powers and (though judgment is always king in this instance) how to assign them point costs.

The game's pretty damn cool, in my opinion, and getting cooler every day.

--Erik Mona
Editor/Developer, Mutants & Masterminds
Erik Mona
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Postby The Human Pest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:51 am

What is the difference in M&M between "extras" and "stunts?"

I think of an "extra" as being a particularly powerful version of a power (i.e. an energy blast with the "extra" feature of being armor piercing or having an area effect, etc.) whereas a "stunt" is more in the nature of using one power to simulate the effects of another (i.e. using energy blasts as a form of rocket-like propulsion.)

Am I in the same ballpark, or is M&M using a different distinction?

Is there going to be a difference in the way that "extras" and "stunts" are acquired? Or is the difference purely semantic?
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:19 am

The Human Pest wrote:What is the difference in M&M between "extras" and "stunts?"

Well, briefly, extras add considerable utility to a power, expanding its usefulness. Often extras allow one power to duplicate the effects of another (such as using your Magnetic Control to create a protective Force Field or magnetic Energy Blast).

Power stunts are basically super-feats with a particular power as a prerequisite. They tend to be more limited and don't expand the capabilities of a power as much, simply allow you to use it in a slightly different way. A good example of a power stunt is the Mind Control stunt that lets you give orders mentally rather than having to speak them out loud (whereas being able to read the thoughts and memories of anyone you're controlling would be an extra on Mind Control).

Extras are generally more expensive than power stunts, since extras modify the power's overall cost while stunts have a flat cost (like feats).
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

What is the difference in M&M between "extras"

Postby Greg K » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:53 am

Maybe it just me coming from the Marvel rpgs, but it seems like extra and power stunts should have their names switched. The name extra sounds like it woul be similar to what most superhero games call power bonuses (the opposite of limitations). Power Stunts, on the otherhand, sound like something that would allow you to use the power in uniques ways such as creating forcefields from Telekinesis or Magnetic Powers.
Greg K
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The Human Pest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:34 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as Greg K, but I could see changing the terminology. "Extras" could imply an "extra cost" for the power, whereas "stunts" could be viewed as similar to "feats."
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:36 pm

The Human Pest wrote:I was thinking along the same lines as Greg K, but I could see changing the terminology. "Extras" could imply an "extra cost" for the power, whereas "stunts" could be viewed as similar to "feats."

That's pretty much how I've been thinking of it.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives