Mutants & Masterminds

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:18 pm

On 2002-07-03 18:03, Doctor Otaku wrote:
Should I be at Gen Con this year, I hope that there will be M&M demos there as well.

Count on it. GenCon is going to be an even bigger event for Mutants & Masterminds, just wait and see :wink:

(Edited your italics code for you, Steve...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nikchick on 2002-07-28 21:12 ]</font>
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Doctor Otaku » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:07 pm

Then I am oh-so there! :smile:
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:29 pm

I'm glad to report that the Mutants & Masterminds demos at Origins went well and that the players seemed to enjoy themselves and the game. I had fun running the games (and I'm also glad to say that you can run a decent M&M game in about 2 hours, complete with two fight scenes).
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Doctor Otaku » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:27 pm

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that Steve.
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby The Imagineer » Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:35 pm

So when will these previews start coming out. My group has been batting around various superhero systems and we can't find exactly what we like. The Hero 5E system is very versatile but way too complicated for us. We have liked several of the various D20 adaptations to different genres and we look forward to seeing what Green Ronin has to offer.
The Imagineer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nikchick » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:47 am

On 2002-07-13 22:35, The Imagineer wrote:
So when will these previews start coming out. My group has been batting around various superhero systems and we can't find exactly what we like.

We've got quite a backlog of things that are nearly ready to put up, including some nifty material on Mutants & Masterminds. As part of our master plan (bwah ha ha ha) we will definitely have some cool stuff available on the website by GenCon! Hopefully I can get even an item or two up a little sooner.

Nicole

Nicole
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby johnnype » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:31 pm

Steve,

I just saw your name on the credits for Silver Age Sentinels! You really know your way around supers don't you?

While I'm here I'd also like to thank you for the wonderful Steampunk article in Dragon a while back. Please, keep writing. I'm really looking forward to M&M.
johnnype
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:15 pm

On 2002-07-19 22:31, johnnype wrote:
I just saw your name on the credits for Silver Age Sentinels! You really know your way around supers don't you?

:smile: I get by. I've been a comic book reader for a LONG time and a fan of superhero RPGs for almost as long.

While I'm here I'd also like to thank you for the wonderful Steampunk article in Dragon a while back. Please, keep writing. I'm really looking forward to M&M.

Thanks! Keep an eye on upcoming news and previews from Green Ronin leading up to the game's release. I think you'll be impressed with the final product.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Draamal » Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:39 am

So what are the chances of getting to see the game on Thursday much less play it? I've never been to GenCon but I've been told it's slim and none.
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Steve Kenson » Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:58 am

On 2002-07-28 09:39, Draamal wrote:
So what are the chances of getting to see the game on Thursday much less play it? I've never been to GenCon but I've been told it's slim and none.

Draamal, if you're going to be at GenCon, come by the Green Ronin booth and I'll see what I can do to fit you into a demo game. I don't know how full the demos are at this point, but I'm sure we can figure something out.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Draamal » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:34 pm

I'm also thinking about coming on Saturday instead with another person who would like to try. Would there be a possibility of doing it that day or are you only there on Thursday (or set up for the demo anyway)?
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Steve Kenson » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:31 pm

On 2002-07-28 13:34, Draamal wrote:
I'm also thinking about coming on Saturday instead with another person who would like to try. Would there be a possibility of doing it that day or are you only there on Thursday (or set up for the demo anyway)?

I'm doing demos every day of the con (Thursday through Saturday), so I'll do my best to include you, if I can. For what it's worth, I believe my Saturday M&M demo is scheduled to run 2 PM to 6 PM.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Talonne » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:39 am

I'll be up at GenCon Saturday with Draamal. I was wondering if M&M will acquire the rights to print stats for Marvel, DC, or characters from other publishing houses.
Talonne
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:31 am

On 2002-08-02 08:39, Talonne wrote:
I'll be up at GenCon Saturday with Draamal. I was wondering if M&M will acquire the rights to print stats for Marvel, DC, or characters from other publishing houses.

Considering that there are rumblings of Marvel doing their own RPG and publishing it themselves, and that the state of DC's license with West End Games (for DC Universe) isn't entirely clear, I tend to doubt it.

Of course, there won't be anything stopping folks who want to do their own unofficial conversions and share them :wink:
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Squirrel Nutkin » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:24 pm

:) I get by. I've been a comic book reader for a LONG time and a fan of superhero RPGs for almost as long.

Steve, I don't have my copy of SAS with me right now, but I keep thinking you skipped Adventure Simulations' "Super Squadron" RPG (1983)... Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Squirrel Nutkin on 2002-08-03 00:25 ]</font>
Squirrel Nutkin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:30 am

On 2002-08-03 00:24, Squirrel Nutkin wrote:
Steve, I don't have my copy of SAS with me right now, but I keep thinking you skipped Adventure Simulations' "Super Squadron" RPG (1983)...

If you're talking about the historical list of super-hero RPGs in SAS, I didn't write that. I just did the history of comics section. Blame it on GOO :wink:
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Draamal » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:41 am

Man, I missed not only the demo at GenCon but Steve too. (First time at the Con and didn't know anybody with a clue.) Who made the demo and how was it?
Draamal
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Mysterious Stranger » Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:53 am

I went through the demo along with 3 friends and 3 strangers. It was REALLY fun, we played with the pre-generated templates that will be published in the book but each created a background, persona, and appropiate super-heroic name. I think we must have taken at LEAST 30 seconds each. :wink:

It's a very fast combat system, I'm pretty dang impressed with the mechanics around damage - this isn't a game where Superman will be rolling 45d6 for damage. The character generation is right on from a philosophical perspective - standard RPG superpower customizing - but we didn't really get too in depth with chargen. The question is how well the power costs are calibrated against each other - that's the part that makes or breaks a supers game.

The demo was good enough to keep me from buying several other superhero games at GenCon. In fact, we were having so much fun that we blew off the "Wild Talents" demo that we had scheduled. (Wild Talents is a more generic "supers" game from the makers of Godlike.)

Buy it in October. You'll be glad you did.
Mysterious Stranger
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:42 am

On 2002-08-12 10:53, Mysterious Stranger wrote:
I went through the demo along with 3 friends and 3 strangers. It was REALLY fun...

Thanks, Mysterious! Glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast running all the demos. I wish I could have done more. Maybe next year Green Ronin can recruit some more demo GMs once the game has been available for a while and we can do a LOT of M&M games. (I also hope that folks will want to run M&M games of their own at cons, of course.)

Like Mysterious said: Check it out in October, we think you'll be glad that you did.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Previous

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives