During the fall of Ostagar...

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

During the fall of Ostagar...

Postby Bardwulf » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:08 am

Where were/are/will be your party during that fatal battle of Ostagar?
I've been thinking of ways to tie my lot into it and was wondering how you had handled it.

I figure that because the King was confident having already won 3 battles against the Darkspawn hordes that this could in itself be a source of placement for them, those victorious battles and then some dire need forcing them to be called away before the downfall battle. They could leave and see it in flames behind them.

This might work especially well if one or more were Grey Wardens already? Perhaps Duncan has given your warden a secret mission to get on with and no arguments allowed. Perhaps he fears the King's youth will damn his order and takes this one precaution, but your warden must never tell the people of what he is, unlike the hero of Fereldan who is quite public and quite the hero indeed.

On that vein of thinking, were one to have a grey warden wannabe in their party, they could surely even have the same joining ritual/mission as Allistair couldn't they? He says he'd killed his first Darkspawn 6 months before Ostagar happens, so that gives you some time scope to frame things in.

What do you think?
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Re: During the fall of Ostagar...

Postby Zaki » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 am

That idea could work. Do you have a Warden in your party?

My players will be in Val Royeaux playing politics, only to return to Ferelden to find the land in flames
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bardwulf » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 am

Not yet, but I have a strong suspicion that one or more of them will go for it. One in particular who is a Templar in training I'm thinking, Amelia Soranis (level 5).
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zaki » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:05 am

Bardwulf wrote:Not yet, but I have a strong suspicion that one or more of them will go for it. One in particular who is a Templar in training I'm thinking, Amelia Soranis (level 5).

Yeah thats what I thought. I'm following your vidcast and she would have been my guess
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Etarnon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I probably won't have a Battle of Ostagar, or won't have players participate.

Right now, they are mostly from Denerim, except Roréth, a Mysterious Male Elven Dalish Mage

Kedira - Female Ferelden Zwei-Hander Warrior
Sarel - Male City Elven Rogue Scout
Leras - Male City Elven Rogue Dual-Blade Wielder
Djuric - Male Surface Dwarven Merchant
Dog - Male Ferelden Mutt

They are at level 1 - 1.5, and have just done a revised version of "An Arl's Request" whivh I uysed to start half the group.

They see themselves as a sort of D&Dish merc / adventuring party. The next adventure, they are going to explore the Brecilian Forest.
Organizer, Steel City Gamers Meetup, Pittsburgh
http://www.meetup.com/Steel-City-Gamers/
Etarnon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FSchuttee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Currently working my group through the Battle Of Ostagar from the DA: Origins videogame courtesy of the strategy guide. Party consists of 4 players all at 5th level (human fighter, human mage, dalish elf rogue, and city elf rogue), all are Grey Wardens, plus Alistair (6th lvl fighter/templar/warden) and Shadow (human rogue from previous published "Arl" scenario who is about 3rd lvl). They are about to finally fight the "boss" ogre at the tower's top and thus activate the signal fire. Luckily, only one player is familiar with the videogame and is playing "dumb." As Set 3 has yet to appear, I figured re-enacting the videogame (with some variation) would give my group plenty to do for a long time. Only real problem I have is handling the rewards -- just wish it had a D&D-like random treasure system and unique item write-ups (at least more than what's been written). :|

Boss ogre killed, signal fire lit...carnage ensues. Players'characters wake up in Flemeth's hut and proceed to Lothering with Morrigan in tow. Defeat and chase off "toll" bandits...and are now preparing to have a go with some gray-warden hunting mercs in the bar...
FSchuttee
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG