Arlathan Magic

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Arlathan Magic

Postby Dragon Son » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey all, following the Blood Magic Revised thread this is a new talent that works as a different "mode" of magic, and it is somewhat antithetical to blood magic, the magic used in forgotten Arlathan, the magic style used by the ancient Elves! I want this to be the "safe" way of spellcasting, the reserved one that brings harmony.
Enjoy, and as always feedback is welcome.

New Talent – Arlathan Magic
Requirements: Mage, Cunning (Nature)

To use these talents the mage must be surrounded by natural features and be outdoors, he can’t use these talents while in cities. There was a reason that the ancient elves built their homes amidst the forest, it was from this connection that Arlathan magic was born.

Novice: By using a Minor action just before casting his spell, the mage draws power from the natural life around him and reduces its Mana cost by -1. The mage must use the Minor action before each of his spells in order to enhance them with Arlathan magic.

Journeyman: When using the Minor action to enhance his spell with nature’s power, the Mage now has a second option. If a spell is successfully cast, the Mage heals 1d6 health as the power of nature washes over him in a blue aura that rejuvenates him. This talent cannot be combined with the Novice power.

Master: The Novice and Journeyman talents can now be combined with a single Minor action. Furthermore the mage is now resistant to magical mishaps, or any other setback as a result of failing to cast a spell, as he is in harmony with the Fade and nature magic suffuses each spell he casts, he gains a +2 bonus on the Willpower roll to resist magical mishaps. This talent takes effect only if the mage is outdoors and surrounded by nature while casting his magic, not while inside cities, furthermore even if he doesn’t take the minor action to enhance his spell with the above talents he still gains the +2 bonus to resist a magical mishap.

Note: I don't have my books with me and I don't remember if there actually is Cunning(Nature) as a focus, if not I would appreciate your helping me find a suitable focus as a prerequisite.
Last edited by Dragon Son on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Son
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Arlathan Magic

Postby shonuff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:25 am

I would not eliminate magical mishaps, especially because I think they're an interesting mechanic; I would just reduce the possibility of them.

Furthermore, I don't know if I would say that Arlathan magic is incompatible with blood magic, as one of the origins of human magic is that the elves taught them blood magic.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Dragon Son » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:49 am

shonuff wrote:I would not eliminate magical mishaps, especially because I think they're an interesting mechanic; I would just reduce the possibility of them.

I agree, that is indeed an interesting mechanic, so you would prefer if the mage gained a +2 bonus to the Willpower roll to negate a magical mishap, or a chance to re-roll, instead of being immune to it?

shonuff wrote:Furthermore, I don't know if I would say that Arlathan magic is incompatible with blood magic, as one of the origins of human magic is that the elves taught them blood magic.

This is a personal preference of mine, the way I see it elves had no reason to teach humans the way of blood magic, if they did so they would arm the fledgling humans with a powerful weapon, as a storyteller I prefer the version of the Old Gods guiding humans to start practising it. Of course by raw you are right, but as I said this is how I see it.
Dragon Son
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Alchemus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 pm

I don't remember anything about the elves teaching blood magic to humans, so if one of you guys could point me to that (I'm working on a campaign that involves the elven from before the humans show up, and it could be useful.)

I do agree with shonuff about the two not being able to be mixed. It isn't inconceivable that an elf could be tricked into doing blood magic. Maybe by a demon posing as one of the gods. Or maybe they don't even need to be tricked. Maybe when the elves are withdrawing from their contact with humans a small group believes they should be driving the humans away instead. That group might turn to help from demons in the fade and blood magic to strike at Tevinter. I think the two should definitely coexist.
Alchemus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zaki » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Alchemus wrote:I don't remember anything about the elves teaching blood magic to humans, so if one of you guys could point me to that (I'm working on a campaign that involves the elven from before the humans show up, and it could be useful.)

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_magic

Under "History"
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby shonuff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Dragon Son wrote:
shonuff wrote:I would not eliminate magical mishaps, especially because I think they're an interesting mechanic; I would just reduce the possibility of them.

I agree, that is indeed an interesting mechanic, so you would prefer if the mage gained a +2 bonus to the Willpower roll to negate a magical mishap, or a chance to re-roll, instead of being immune to it?

That would be fine, IMO.

Dragon Son wrote:
shonuff wrote:Furthermore, I don't know if I would say that Arlathan magic is incompatible with blood magic, as one of the origins of human magic is that the elves taught them blood magic.

This is a personal preference of mine, the way I see it elves had no reason to teach humans the way of blood magic, if they did so they would arm the fledgling humans with a powerful weapon, as a storyteller I prefer the version of the Old Gods guiding humans to start practising it. Of course by raw you are right, but as I said this is how I see it.

Well, it's not verified, so it might not have happened. However, the talent as conceived and written could directly contradict lore. Emphasis on could.

Alchemus wrote:I don't remember anything about the elves teaching blood magic to humans, so if one of you guys could point me to that (I'm working on a campaign that involves the elven from before the humans show up, and it could be useful.)

I do agree with shonuff about the two not being able to be mixed. It isn't inconceivable that an elf could be tricked into doing blood magic. Maybe by a demon posing as one of the gods. Or maybe they don't even need to be tricked. Maybe when the elves are withdrawing from their contact with humans a small group believes they should be driving the humans away instead. That group might turn to help from demons in the fade and blood magic to strike at Tevinter. I think the two should definitely coexist.

My personal theory is that the elves used blood magic to save Arlathan from the Tevinter. The ritual caused the Quickening and keeps the elves from retaining their immortality.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Dragon Son » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Final edit complete, thank you guys for the feedback.
Dragon Son
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Alchemus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the link to the wiki. I checked the arlathan and elves pages but didn't even think to check the blood magic page. I should point out that they don't list any sources for the part about elves, so if you guys don't know of an official source I probably won't use that aspect of blood magic. I do think your Arlathan magic will find a place in the campaign I'm working on right now, so thanks.
Alchemus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 pm

In ancient magic discussions that I've seen, it's fairly accepted. Additionally, a certain elvish blood mage in DA2 states that blood magic is the "old ways." The problem with using official sources in DA, is that there aren't any. Even if the elvish origin for blood magic is just an accepted and perpetuated theory, there are two other "official" theories: the old gods and the forbidden ones (Gaxkang, Xebenkeck, and the other two). But the official theories are presented by sources from within the world -- definitely not definitive.

A keeper in DA2 is able to easily send people into the Fade, which according to DA:o required powerful blood mgaic or more lyrium than a circle tower had. Zathrian's ritual was easily blood magic, and he was able to suffer no consequences for hundreds of years. Interestingly enough, the spirit of the forest he summoned, was IIRC a part of Thedas and not a demon. IMO, there seems to be some natural connection between elves and blood magic, whereas human blood magic typically ends in demonic possession.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Loswaith » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Maybe the blood magic thing is possible for elves as it feeds off their long life force effectivly quickening them slightly each time they use it. Since humans dont have that long life and quickening aspect, the use of blood magic isnt 'filtered' through that, thus showing up directly in the fade. (purely hypothetical)
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 am

That's kind of been my theory, as blood magic seems to be the original magic. Either taught by humans or by the Old Gods. My theory is that originally, the blood magic was able to be replenished unnoticeably by the elves' immortality. However, in order to save Arlathan from the Tevinter, the elves created a astronomical ritual blood ritual, which accounted for the quickening. Afterwards, the Tevinter took credit for eradicating Arlathan and enslaved the remaining Elvish population. This would account for Arlathan being completely gone, with no records of where it even existed.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Dragon Son » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 am

Alchemus wrote:I do think your Arlathan magic will find a place in the campaign I'm working on right now, so thanks.

You are welcome.
Dragon Son
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG