Which ability/specialty is best suited for...

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Which ability/specialty is best suited for...

Postby Saturno » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:30 pm

...searching for a person that is hidden in a town or forest (like Jon Connington x Robert Baratheon before the Battle of the Bells)?

...spreading some rumors about someone or something (as in Renly's Ghost situation, but deliberately)?

...a cyvasse dispute?

...a luck and wits game like dices or cards?

...throwing dirt or sand in the opponent's eyes for combat advantage and similar tricks?

...torturing someone to get a confession?

...making and dealing with poisons?

...setting a trap (from cutting the saddle of a knight to making a bear-trap)?

...analyzing the skill of a person (riding, swordmanship, handwriting, etc)?

...analyzing the quality of a good (a weapon, a coin of gold, a wagon, etc)?

Thanks ;)
Saturno
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Which ability/specialty is best suited for...

Postby Legate » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 pm

"searching for a person that is hidden in a town or forest (like Jon Connington x Robert Baratheon before the Battle of the Bells)?"
Town-Awareness (Notice)
Foreset- Survival (would include tracking)

"spreading some rumors about someone or something (as in Renly's Ghost situation, but deliberately)?"
Good Ol' fashioned Intrigue.

"a cyvasse dispute?"
Sorry, don't know what that is.

"throwing dirt or sand in the opponent's eyes for combat advantage and similar tricks?"
Fighting (where do you learn dirty tricks like that?)

"a luck and wits game like dices or cards?"
This one not sure of.

"setting a trap (from cutting the saddle of a knight to making a bear-trap)?"
Again I would handle most trap setting under survival.

"analyzing the skill of a person (riding, swordmanship, handwriting, etc)?"
Again Awareness (Notice).

"analyzing the quality of a good (a weapon, a coin of gold, a wagon, etc)?"
This could be either Fighting, Awareness, Knowledge, even Warfare.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Flagg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Gambling could be based on Cunning, with Logic or Memory as specialties, depending on the game, if there's a system that can be manipulated.

If it's a pure bluffing game (like 5 card stud, say), that would be an Intrigue.

If it's a game of total random chance, roll some dice :)
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Saturno » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks guys!

I've already mixed some abilities and for now it works, like using Persuasion + Streetwise to spread rumors... or Awareness + Long Blades to analyze the swordsmanship of a knight, but I wonder if this is the best method. My biggest problem is with search rolls... I just don't think it's right to roll Awareness (Notice) to search a secret door in a room AND repeat the same test to go looking for someone in a whole city with thousands and thousands of people.

For some reason I think Awareness + Streetwise would be better to gain information about the localization of someone... or even Awareness + Track. So as always I came here seeking enlightenment!

And about cyvasse:

"Cyvasse is a game from Old Volantis oft mentioned in the book series A Song of Ice and Fire. Played by lords, ladies, and commoners in the east. It has developed quite a following and has been used for everything from a good wager to teaching wisdom to the young."

For everyone interested in fan-made rules for the game:

http://gameofcyvasse.com/
Saturno
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Legate » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Those look alright to me. You could use Survival (Urban) I suppose to locate some one in a town. It wouldn't be like tracking per se, it would represent a PC knowing the right questions to ask. Out in the Wilds then Survival (Forest), as an example would be used to actually track someone.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Roadspike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

I would suggest either Cunning or Warfare for cyvasse. If the character doesn't know the game well (as determined by their background, since it's a recent import from Essos), then they should take a penalty to either roll, although probably a larger one to Warfare (war games never work quite like real warfare does).
Roadspike
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Iron Emmett » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Searching for someone in a town?

I would use Awareness (Streetwise)...but if a player made a good case for trying to bribe locals for information, I might go with Persuasion (Streetwise).

Searching for someone in a forest?

Awareness (Track) strikes me as the best compromise.

Spreading rumors about someone?

Persuasion (Convince), probably, though Deception (Convince) might be more appropriate if the rumors are lies.

A cyvasse dispute?

Cunning (Strategy).

A luck and wits game, such as dice or cards?

If pure luck, I wouldn't even use abilities/specialties...just roll the game (this is most dice games). If an element of skill is involved, I'd probably go Cunning, possibly without a specialty (none seem appropriate for most games of chance). One could use Cunning (Bluff) for poker or some card games, though.

All of the above assumes a fair game. If you want to cheat, it's Deception (Cheat).

Throwing dirt (and other sneaky tricks) in combat?

Fighting (Cheat) seems best to me.

Torturing someone to get a confession?

Persuasion (Intimidate) seems apropos.

Making and dealing with poisons?

I would probably add a new specialty (under Healing) called "Poisons". Failing that, Healing (Treat Ailment) is right for healing poisons, so it would probably be good for compounding them as well.

Setting a trap?

I would use Thievery as the base ability, since it involves various types of skullduggery, including mechanical devices (locks). For the saddle trick, though, I might say Thievery (Ride).

Analyzing the skill of a person?

Awareness (whatever specialty you are analyzing). So trying to judge how good a swordsman someone is would be Awareness (Long Blades), while analyzing their horsemanship would be Awareness (Ride). If trying to analyze more generally that that (like, their overall fighting ability), just use Awareness (Notice).

Alternately, you could use the (Notice) specialty, added to the general ability...so Fighting (Notice) to assess someone's skill at arms, and Animal Handling (Notice) to judge how good they sit a mount.

Analyzing the quality of a good?

As above, actually.
Iron Emmett
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zorbeltuss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:21 pm

searching for a person that is hidden in a town or forest (like Jon Connington x Robert Baratheon before the Battle of the Bells)?

In a forest, its survival-> track.
In a town, it depends, streetwise if by tracking down, you mean asking people. If like battle of the bells, it would be Robert (or someone with him) rolling for stealth, I'd say.

spreading some rumors about someone or something (as in Renly's Ghost situation, but deliberately)?

Intrigue. Incite technique.

a cyvasse dispute?

Cunning, with bonus dices from tactics or strategy.

a luck and wits game like dices or cards?

Cunning if it's about playing probabilities, deception and awareness as well if it involves playing the person.

throwing dirt or sand in the opponent's eyes for combat advantage and similar tricks?

Distract under advanced combat actions is what you are looking for.

torturing someone to get a confession?

Intimidate.

making and dealing with poisons?

Trade (poison, herbalism or similar) benefit.

setting a trap (from cutting the saddle of a knight to making a bear-trap)?

Depends on the trap, thievery for outright sabotage, something like a bear-trap would be Trade(blacksmith), survival(hunt) could be used to make something out of forest materials on site.

analyzing the skill of a person (riding, swordmanship, handwriting, etc)

Having the same skill yourself and witness it in action.

analyzing the quality of a good (a weapon, a coin of gold, a wagon, etc)?

Either relevant skill that it is used with said item, a relevant benefit, failing that, I'd default on cunning.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Saturno » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Thank you guys I really appreciate the help!
Saturno
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG