Dragon Age II Playing Cards

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Dragon Age II Playing Cards

Postby Elfie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 am

So I got these awesome Dragon Age II playing cards, and I've been trying to think of a cool way to use them in our DARPG campaign. I think I've come up with something I like... a magic deck of cards that will be actually represented by these cards. If someone shuffles the deck and draws a single card and that card is a face card, they get a +1 (or 2?) for the rest of the day on all tests (combat or otherwise) against the race depicted in the card (human, dwarf, elf, or qunari). This only works the first time someone draws a card on any given day.

I'm contemplating whether multiple people can draw cards and they all count (for the person drawing), whether you have to keep your drawn card out of the pack for the rest of the day, if something bad happens if you draw multiple cards, etc.

Open for suggestions :)

Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Dragon Age II Playing Cards

Postby kronovan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

If I had them, I'd use them to replace the dice initiative system. The player drawing the highest card goes 1st for the remainder of the encounter and the GM only draws 1 card per group of NPCs. If a player draws 1 of the 2 jokers (whatever DA II archetype that may be) they get to add +1 to any stunt points they roll throughout the encounter and get to add +2 to the attack and damage roll for 1 round during the encounter - same could apply to the NPC's with the stunt bonus and the +2 being applied to only 1 NPC from the group. It has the advantage that the GM doesn't have to maintain a list of the order of initiative, as the players would just place their cards on/beside their character sheets.

Shamelessly adapted from the Savage Worlds system - by far my favorite initiative system in any tabletop RPG. ;)
kronovan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby zanwot » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 am

This is going to be tricky, but can I ask you to comment on the level of quality of the stuff the cards in question are made of? How rigid are they? How durable do they feel compared to classic quality playing cards?
I ask in case I come across them to know if they could interest me.
zanwot
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Elfie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:50 am

I'd say they feel slightly sturdier than any other standard playing card I've handled.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby zanwot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 am

Elfie wrote:I'd say they feel slightly sturdier than any other standard playing card I've handled.

Ok, thanks for the info. Hum, maybe...
zanwot
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Dragon Age RPG