Advanced Combat Rules

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Advanced Combat Rules

Postby Raven2909 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:14 am

So I'm really interested n using the advanced rules in the combat chapter but some of the rules could use some clarification.

If you have spear fighter 2 how does it effect the rules regarding advanced reach, normally the spear has 3 yards but can attack at 2 or 4 with a -1D. So would it just change the spear to reach 4 yards, take away the penalty to attack at 4 yards, or allow it to attack at 5 yards with a -1D???

Also does the penalty for fighting with two weapons of different reaches only apply if you do a two weapon attack, if not you are punished for simply having a shield.

Do free attacks count degrees of success given they are a passive result?

And finally (at least for now) do free attacks or counterattacks stop your foe, or just resolve first? Can you counter attack if the enemies weapon has a longer reach?

Sorry for the spam (and likely more to come) but I would like some other opinions on how to handle these rules before I add them to the game :D
Raven2909
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Advanced Combat Rules

Postby AGlumSon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 am

My two cents based on in-house rulings from the campaign I am "narrating"
1. Good question... haven't had the problem yet. 5 yards at -1D seems excessive. I think the best ruling would be that it can attack at 3 and 4 yards without penalty (also increasing its threat range for free attacks). I wonder what others think about it?

2. Only applies to two-weapon and combined attacks in our group for exactly the reason you say.

3.I had the same conceptual problem with free attacks. I decided that they could do additional degrees of damage based on the fact that the source book states "deal damage as normal" and that when it would not be used heavily or even medium armoured combatants could walk around the battlefield with impunity since almost no normal opponent does more than 4-5 damage and even maxed out opponents seldom do more than 8 or 9 points of non-degreed damage.

4. Just resolve first and do not stop the target (unless he or she is killed by the free/counter attack, of course)

Edit: For the question in 4 it also goes that someone can make a grab attack to stop the person in his tracks!
Last edited by AGlumSon on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AGlumSon
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Advanced Combat Rules

Postby Raven2909 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Cool thanks for the feedback :)
Raven2909
Bystander
Bystander

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG