Night's Watch Pre-Order and Immediate PDF Download!

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Night's Watch Pre-Order and Immediate PDF Download!

Postby Carriker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Hey, all. Pre-orders for the print edition of the Night's Watch sourcebook for A Song of Ice & Fire Roleplaying are now open. You can also get the PDF of the book immediately on preorder for just a few bucks more. Go here for details!

http://greenronin.com/2012/09/nights_watch_pre-ordering_now.php

Enjoy! Can't wait to hear what you folks think. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Re: Night's Watch Pre-Order and Immediate PDF Download!

Postby JA Johns » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I havent gotten a chance to read anything, but I flipped through the entire thing and, man, THIS is what aSoIaF art should be like! Whoever did the artwork for the archetypes needs to be brought back for all of future books. I seriously bought the book (this early) because of the Spearwife archetype art that was previewed. :D Im pumped to read this now!
JA Johns
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Just preordered mine. After a quick browse, my initial response is WOW! This book looks really amazing.

Porting the house creation rules to tribe creation is fantastic - mammoth cavalry? Yes, please!

So much to mention, but I'll say more once I've had a chance to read it through more of it. It'll be hard not to skip straight to the Lords of the Long Night chapter.

Also, I think this book has the best artwork of all the SIFRP books to date. Very nice!
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Carriker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words, you guys. Yeah, the art in this book is nothing short of fantastic. Hal really outdid himself hunting up great artists for this book. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby AGlumSon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 am

Just bought and fast read through most of the book in one go. The art is finger-licking good and I love the ideas for Wildling tribes and campaigns (although it will be some time before my group will get to play it, since we are in the middle of a great campaign based on a mix of Peril in King's Landing and the Chronicle Starter). I think the mini-adventures involving ranging and Other encounters also add a nice quick-play element for a needy Narrator.

One thing: I already spotted some errata...
Under Flint Barracks on page 48, King-beyond-the-wall is spelled bey0nd (although this might be a typo that is only present in my PDF somehow), more seriously though: the first sample Night's Watch character the "Captured Poacher" is an Adolescent Rogue of the "Ranger subtype" of the Brother of the Night's Watch, while the Character Creation Determine Age paragraph on page 29 reads: "there are no Youths or Adolescents on the Wall...

I don't want to rain on your parade and can personally live with these kinds of minor errors, but I know you at Green Ronin are committed to bringing us as good a product as you can, that is why I thought I should point it out.

Now get to work on getting out that Chronicle Magic system! I want MOAR!
AGlumSon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 pm

AGlumSon wrote:I don't want to rain on your parade and can personally live with these kinds of minor errors, but I know you at Green Ronin are committed to bringing us as good a product as you can, that is why I thought I should point it out.

Not only are you not raining on our parade, but you're actively doing what we hope the pre-order PDFs will do: help us to make a better print product. Not only should folks feel free to point such things out, but we're grateful when you do.

So, thanks!
AGlumSon wrote:Now get to work on getting out that Chronicle Magic system! I want MOAR!

We're on it! I promise. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby AGlumSon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:29 am

Good to hear that and happy to help.
I have another one for you: p. 56 on the statblock for Stonesnake it says Markmanship 3 with 2B in Charm...

Edit: and another minor spelling mistake: "The men of Rimegate have down their duty down through the cen-turies and done it well." (Page 60). -> should be "done"

Edit2: Mance Rayder's statblock (p.79) lists a Longsword that is "adaptable". This is not normally a quality of the longsword but of a bastard sword (although in that case he misses the subtracted B for training)

I'll just keep adding errata to this post, if I happen to find it.

P.S. Great expanions on or non-canon histories of the castles along the wall BTW. Very much in the gritty style of the books
AGlumSon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ALoneCrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 am

Hey, I've been really looking forward to this and I really want to pre-order/grab the PDF and read it now. However, I only have limited internet at the moment with hefty charges if I go over my amount. It doesn't say in the description but can you give me any idea on how big the .pdf file is to download. I don't need an exact figure just a rough amount so I can make sure I don't end up crippling myself. Thanks. From what I hear this is awesome and I truly can't wait.
ALoneCrow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:47 am

Awesome, folks. Keep them coming. The last ones we'll be able to take for adjustment of the print files will be Sunday night!
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Tao Jones » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 pm

ALC, the PDF copy I have is 20.044 MB. By my recollection, my download speed reached approximately 160 kbps maximum. Hope this helps!
Tao Jones
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby AGlumSon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am

Hey Carriker,
I have PM-ed you with other errata I found.
AGlumSon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flagg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 pm

In the rules for petitioning the South on page 41, a petition to the King costs 5 wealth, and automatically reaps a minimum of 7 in power or wealth (max 13). That seems like a money machine that would have the Watch as one of the richest powers in Westeros in the space of a few years.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Flagg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Also,

p57 wrote:Behind the hearth stand the kitchens with kettles bigger than bathtubs,
ovens fit to bake half a dozen men in, with and spits so large they
can roast an aurochs whole. Broad doors open to the north as well, letting
out on the storerooms cut into the base of the Wall.

Is it supposed to say that? It's an odd way to describe an oven.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Carriker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for the additional errata, Flagg. Sadly, the text has already been altered and sent to print, but I'll get that noted for any future errata. I'll also sit down and figure out what it is we want to do with it.

And yeah, that's a deliberate description. :) Evocative, and slightly sinister. ;)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Flagg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:22 am

Maybe a petition to the king could be limited to once per year?
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:15 am

I want to buy just the PDF, have you got the option?
Nizan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flagg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 am

Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Flagg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 am

More errata:

Table 3-7: Starting Attributes, on page 109 is missing Wealth numbers for the Frozen Shore, Mountain Valleys, and Storrhold's Point, and also missing Power for Mountain Valleys.

I'd assume zeroes where the stats are missing, but I'd expect Mountain Valleys (Thenn) to get a bonus to Power AND Wealth.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG