Sept VS Measter

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Sept VS Measter

Postby vonpenguin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 am

Just wondering something. My group recently restarted our Campaign and ended up with a rather religious house. As such we decided to go with a sept. Looking at it though, Septs aren't really all that good. It's the same +3 to fortune as a measter and opening up a new character type but for half again the price. Is there a reason for this? It caused a bit of minor grief in my group until we agreed to go for flavor but it still seems odd. I guess having a sept could offer some non-mechanical RP bonuses with religious folk but that's pretty much GM fiat.

I don't know. Guess I'm just a little confused as to why there's such a difference.
vonpenguin
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Sept VS Measter

Postby coldwind » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 am

Two possibilities:
1. To show the relative rarity of septs compared to maesters.
2. To offset the requirements flexibility - maester needs influence, sept needs either good defense or good lands.
coldwind
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Kajani » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 am

I think the higher cost is also the result of the needed infrastructure. A maester needs perhaps a room or two or three - place for him to work. A septon/ septa comes with a sept, mostly a separated building which has room for some dozen people (or more) who want to pray. Yes, it is not fair if you look after the benefit in effects for house fortune, but I could understand the reasons.
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Postby Legate » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Building a Sept is akin to building, at least, a small chapel. So, there will be extra cost involved, it is not just a matter of hiring one guy like a Maester is.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby LordValorna » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 pm

The Maester is alone, but the Septon are a community (so if you PC is one of them he could have more allies, but there is also a hierarchy).
LordValorna
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG